Why become a member? ×

crazy concept bass

Ou7shined

Ok folks sorry for neglecting this thread for a bit. I've been busy working on other people's basses and also waiting for some pics of the demon in action to materialise.

Thanks for all the comments.

Since you last saw him, he's been painted.... properly this time. I chose satin black so that the reflections would highlight more of the 3Dness. In practice this hasn't really worked. I was told that on stage it was quite hard to make out all the detail. So I'm looking to return to the bronze idea and brush on some gold highlights. (more pics when this happens)

Oh yes and black coated strings.

As you can see I have been working on a prototype stand for him. The idea started off as a simple insert chock to protect the rear rams horn from impact damage in the back of the tour van. The guys tend to not have much respect for our gear while loading and unloading so I thought it prudent.
But then it came to me that I could probably convert it into a stand too.

It is a chunk of alder (a bit of scrap from WoodyRATM's bass actually) which is cut slightly smaller than the hole, then padded out to a tight fit with felt strips for protection.
I then split it and hinged it and found a gate hook in my odds and sods tin for the lock. As an original concept, I'm quite chuffed with the idea. With it's dual function, even more so.

(you can see the tip of the copper tape coming out of the control cavity used to earth the bridge in these pics)

And now for the money shot :D....

Last thing, I placed an OG decal on the headstock. It took a great deal of soul searching before I did this.
Strictly speaking I shouldn't have as I never made the neck from scratch but as this is a tour bass I'm doing a bit of shameless self promo. :D

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1381485308' post='2239651']
Been reading this for some time. It looks amazing.
What wood have you used?

Also, please post the full tour list it would be great to see you with it.
[/quote]

Thanks. It's Utile... a relative of mahogany.

Here are our (revised) tour dates. We also have a wee Scottish tour at the start of Nov. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1381502691' post='2239985']
Last thing, I placed an OG decal on the headstock. It took a great deal of soul searching before I did this.
Strictly speaking I shouldn't have as I never made the neck from scratch but as this is a tour bass I'm doing a bit of shameless self promo. :D
[/quote]

I think the work on the body more than justifies labelling it as one of yours. I wouldn't worry about it.

And now for the money shot :D....

[/quote]

Bloomin' awesome! :D Is that pic with or without the bronze/gold highlights? The Stand looks like a stroke of genius too!

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1381502960' post='2239990']
Thanks. It's Utile... a relative of mahogany.

Here are our (revised) tour dates. We also have a wee Scottish tour at the start of Nov. :)

[/quote]

I love how you go London to Stoney!

Edited by woodyratm

It is a chunk of alder (a bit of scrap from WoodyRATM's bass actually) which is cut slightly smaller than the hole, then padded out to a tight fit with felt strips for protection.
I then split it and hinged it and found a gate hook in my odds and sods tin for the lock. As an original concept, I'm quite chuffed with the idea. With it's dual function, even more so.
[/quote]

Purple Beastie saves the day in the end ;) haha!

Looks amazing dude. I'll see it in action proper on the 31st.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1381506718' post='2240070']
Looks awesome!

I wonder whether olympic/bone white with bronze highlights might look more defined but equally eerie?
[/quote]
I agree with this and thought that that was what was going to happen. I am a little disappointed that it didn't but I feel like a complete dick for saying so because otherwise it is absolutely bloody brilliant.

I love the colour black, but I think a bone colour for the skull and bronze for the horns would have been perfect.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1381524646' post='2240421']...I love the colour black, but I think a bone colour for the skull and bronze for the horns would have been perfect.
[/quote]
For my purposes black suits my needs fine just now but yeah I could easy go back to the original design idea at some point.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1381526957' post='2240473']
Sorry dude, I don't mean to knock it, it is absolutely fabulous.
[/quote]

Aye well watch yer lip next time. :D

Only joking bud. As I said before black is a bit too predictable for me so I tend to stay away from it bass wise. But this guy is really playing the evil card so it fits real well for now. Sometime later down the line it could all change.