Why become a member? ×

Barefaced/GKMB500/US Precision,doesn't sound right

karlfer

So I have a Super12V, gk mb500. US jazz sounds bloody marvellous at a gig, with just leaving everything flat, except bass to about 1 o'clock..
My 2012 US Precision doesn't though. Not farting out exactly, but an unpleasant low distortion. Last night, bass rolled back to about 9o'clock on the amp, low mids back to 11 0'clock, high mids about 1 o'clock, treble 1 o'clock. I put the contour thing on at about 12 o'clock and that helped a bit.
But still too much unpleasant bass and if I rolled the tone up on the bass itself it got very harsh and trebly.
Kindoff at my wits end with this as I really prefer playing the P.
Bad Co to Metallica/Maiden pub band, 40 or more gigs pa..
Any ideas gratefully accepted, BEFORE I sell it and go back to lovely Schroeder :(
The amp handbook isn't much help as it gives recommendations for 2 pup basses.
Thanks in advance for any guidance peeps,
cheers,
Karl.

I've played a Precision through an MB500 into a Super12 and had no odd sounds or effects.

If your rig sounds fine when you play a Jazz through it, then the focus has to be on the P-bass and whether it has any issues.

That's a very "clean" rig which won't disguise or colour the input ... maybe the pickups on the P are too high and too close to the strings?

I will bravely poke my head over the parapet and say that I would suspect that it's the sound of the P pickup itself. With Barefaced being such superb cabs, you hear things differently. I find that the P pickup on my bass doesn't sound very nice at all on it's own but blended with the Jazz it sounds lovely.

Try the P into something else, maybe a practice amp or a DAW. Does it still sound bad?

Also on a P pickup I like to back off the part of the pickup under the low E by putting a couple of clockwise turns on the pickup mounting screw furthest from the floor - this puts that half of the pickup on a tilt, and stops the E string overpowering the others. You can also do the opposite on the far side of the strings if you have a weak G.

I used a Precision with a GK MB500 Karl, admittedly into the Schroeder, and the eq I used was everything at 12 o`clock, aside from the Contour which was fully clockwise. Gain on about 2 o`clock if I recall correctly. Anything more on the Gain and I encountered fuzziness. Sounded great. Bear in mind you get mega low-mids from the Precision, if you`re not cutting them on the amp enough, and if the gain is up, a fair bit of Lemmyness is likely.

I have a 2008 Precision into an MB500 going into a Barefaced Compact.

I've found the MB500 to be a little bit unforgiving on the input gain. Doesn't sound great when you push it too hard. I usually stick the -10dB pad in and have the gain around 12o'clock, seems fine and there's plenty of volume to spare. I used to have a GK 700RB and found I could run the input gain stage pretty hot all the time without too much bother, but I think you've just got to be a bit more careful with the MB500.

Hope that helps.

As the current owner of the Schroeder in question I have to say that paired with an MB800, I get a killer P tone from my Precision. I gigged it for the first time Friday and was blown away by the combination. Loads of headroom in reserve

Actually re- reading this has given even more food for thought. I have slavishly followed the instruction booklet, ie, master at 3pm, gain to suit, usually around 8/8.30pm and contour thing off.
Our gig Saturday coming is one of the less bust ones, so will have a live prat about before the sound check.
There won't be too many to upset at that time.

I'd try not having the master so high. Just use the input until it clips then drop back a touch, then master to suit.

P basses are not notoriously sub bass heavy/mushy in the lows, more of a low mid kick which is why they tend to work in all mixes.

If it worked through your previous cab and the same amp, its bound to be a cab/room related issue.

Usually P's work with EVERYTHING.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1379244920' post='2210159']The amp handbook isn't much help as it gives recommendations for 2 pup basses.[/quote]

Page 3 of the manual:

"7. Not happy?
Ask for help! Our cabs are uniquely versatile but sometimes it takes some lateral thinking to
get what you want and we’re good at that, we’ve helped a lot of bassists out."

Which manual Alex?
I asked here because there are a lot of enthusiastic users and I know you are always run off your feet trying to keep up with demand!
I always have the limiter on, the clip/pad light doesn't come on. The Jazz sounds marvellous through it, as does the Lakland.
Tonight the P pup will be attacked with measuring stick and screwdriver, but really it's going to be Sat night before I can gig-experiment. Absolutely pointless in the little spare bedroom.
I am starting to think a combination of pup adjustment and using the gain/master differently to how GK suggest in the handbook may bring about a solution.
For a long time gig volume on previous amps was achieved by setting gain to just clip, backing off a touch then setting master, but this is not what the GK handbook recommends.
Finally, we were playing the Fox and Goose in Southport on Saturday night, when I was struggling. For the first time in the 30+ gigs I have used this, a young bass player wandered over at the end and said "Is that a Super 12".
"Yes" beamed I.
"Sounds great" sayeth he.
"Cheers" sayeth I.
5 minutes later the drummer berated me for being a bitching old git.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1379336885' post='2211387']Which manual Alex?[/quote]

I'd assumed you meant the cab's manual? If you like the P through a Schroeder then I'd try turning the lows down and the low-mids up (both quite a lot) and the high-mids down and the highs up (both to a lesser degree). Fiddling with the pickup height can make a big difference - it's so quick to do that you can actually do it during soundcheck, just put a screwdriver in your back pocket. I'd also try turning the gain down and the master up or vice versa - gain staging can have pretty weird effects.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1379336885' post='2211387']For the first time in the 30+ gigs I have used this, a young bass player wandered over at the end and said "Is that a Super 12".
"Yes" beamed I.
"Sounds great" sayeth he.
"Cheers" sayeth I.
5 minutes later the drummer berated me for being a bitching old git.
[/quote]

:)

Well my little shoal of piranhas, all sorted thank you very muchly.
A combination of the recommended eq. changed gain/master setting and pick up adjustment and the P sounded rather jolly nice thank you.
Basically gain to 12 o'clock, bass 9 o'clock, low mids 3 o'clock, high mids 11 o'clock, treble 1 o'clock, master at, erm, 8 o'clock (or on about 2 in old money).
Oh, and loud. Very loud.
Was through the pa for first set, took me out for second set due to overpowering guitarses and drummer.
Not convinced but nonetheless
:D :D :D :D :D
Seriously though guys, many thanks for all the advice