Why become a member? ×

The next "big thing" in bass development?

Ghosts Over Japan

I can see what they are getting at as I know why the Evertone bridge is so useful for guitarists, but I agree, the video above didn't explain how the bridge works or why it's needed. What they need is an independent reviewer who loves to know (and explain) how things work in great deal. Hmmmm... I wonder if anyone know one? ;o) 

• Haha 1

Daily issues:

- unergonomic long - and even some short - scale basses

- long life roundwounds

- several sounds from a single instrument (Jamerson to King)

- bass fx that do not lose low end (X-over units)

- energy efficient amps exist in high power and small form factor, but cabinets on the other hand...

bubbling under:

- wide freq range pickups

- wide freq range cabinets (true FRFR, not PA stuff)

Edited by itu
RW
  • Like 1

An AI based bass that comes up with bass lines and plays it itself, all you need to do is feed it with a signal of the music you need a bass line laid down for, whether that be a microphone/mixer tap from live music or the remaining prerecorded tracks for studio work.

So to sum up, a bass where all you need to do is plugging in the music that needs bass into the input socket of the bass, and then from the output socket of the bass into a bass amp or bass amp/cab sim, no hands or fingers (or effort for that matter) involved, it plays itself, entirely automated. 

Which frees the bass player up to exclusively concentrate on their stage presence and scene show. 

Time to quit bass practice and take up dance and acrobatics practice instead!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2023 at 15:43, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I watched the Evertune  Vid in a noisy environment and couldn't see what the fuss was about. 

So I read their site, and I still don't know what it actually does...

You can find out from their tutorial videos. https://www.evertune.com/resources/animated_video_tutorials.php

The first one tells you what's going on. Basically, wobbly bridge saddles located by balancing string tension with spring tension for each saddle, so the increased tension from plucking a string (which sharpens the pitch slightly in the initial attack) is smoothed out. Clever, but I'm not sure that it's really a problem that needs solving. And they don't do a headless version.

16 hours ago, tauzero said:

You can find out from their tutorial videos. https://www.evertune.com/resources/animated_video_tutorials.php

The first one tells you what's going on. Basically, wobbly bridge saddles located by balancing string tension with spring tension for each saddle, so the increased tension from plucking a string (which sharpens the pitch slightly in the initial attack) is smoothed out. Clever, but I'm not sure that it's really a problem that needs solving. And they don't do a headless version.

Which gives me another brilliant idea!

Ever noticed how the notes you fret doesn't actually a perfectly clean smooth sinus curve?

Well how about inventing a device that can be build into the control cavity that'll turn all notes into a nice perfectly clean and smooth sinus curve...

I am sure that would be what every bass player really would want when they play bass...

This device would get rid of all those nasty extra harmonic content that blurs your pure fundamentals...

Now add a compressor that keep heck on all of those annoying dynamics fluctuations, making everything absolutely perfectly even, and you'll have the perfect bass tone...

9_9

Who thinks this stuff up?

If you can nod in agreement to all 3 "improvements" mentioned above perhaps what you really want rather than playing bass is a sinus wave generator...

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

If you can nod in agreement to all 3 "improvements" mentioned above perhaps what you really want rather than playing bass is a sinus wave generator...

That would get right up my nose.

• Haha 2

On 15/04/2023 at 19:32, simisker said:

I dunno. I'm sceptical. I think they may have rushed it to market.

I emailed them about this the better part of 2ya and was told 'soon' so I doubt they rushed it. When the 5 comes out, and in the same email I was told it would be coming, I'll get one.

On 16/04/2023 at 02:06, itu said:

energy efficient amps exist in high power and small form factor, but cabinets on the other hand...

Physics. Hoffman's Iron Law states that the three parameters that affect speaker performance in a cabinet (at LF) are size, efficiency and extension; pick two. Unless there is a massively different new technology in speakers, HIL will still rule. In 40y of speaker design, I've never seen it broken.

Drivers can't really get much lighter than they are now. CF cabs might become more common, but they won't be cheap.

5 hours ago, crazycloud said:

Physics. Hoffman's Iron Law states that the three parameters that affect speaker performance in a cabinet...

Exactly. Plasma elements were an interesting trial, but efficiency... The only way the performance could be enhanced, would be very different technology. Planar elements are big and lightweight - and lack low end. There doesn't seem to be solutions available that could replace this age old coil-magnet thing. Neodymium magnets were one very positive enhancement, but the efficiency is still in the ballpark of single numbers, like 1 - 2 %.

5 hours ago, crazycloud said:

I emailed them about this the better part of 2ya and was told 'soon' so I doubt they rushed it. When the 5 comes out, and in the same email I was told it would be coming, I'll get one.

Apparently, responding to a ten year old post... a decade old post... a post that is a TENTH OF A CENTURY old... with "they rushed it" is too dry for some 😜

Anyway, joke time over. Physics guys are here now. Serious business.

Edited by simisker

37 minutes ago, crazycloud said:

The post I responded to was from April 16 this year. Maybe you need a new calendar. Or spectacles.

I'm guessing they don't read to the end of a sentence where you come from.

Also, the post you responded to was April 15. If you're going to be humourlessly pedantic about it, as a minimum you need to be accurate. See page 27 of the Pedants' Handbook (3rd Edition, paragraph 11, second sentence).

*offers spectacles as peace offering to Physics Daddy 🤓*

Edited by simisker

2 hours ago, simisker said:

Apparently, responding to a ten year old post... a decade old post... a post that is a TENTH OF A CENTURY old... with "they rushed it" is too dry for some 😜

I got it. Maybe dry humour is a Yorkshire thing? 😉

Perhaps resurrecting a decade old thread wasn’t such a good idea after all and I’m due a damn good thrashing? (Int’ shoebox, int’ middle of road like).

• Thanks 1