Why become a member? ×

P Bass Question

Pestie

I have a lovely CV Precision which I really like. However, I have the chance of a lovely 1983 USA Precision. Now this might sound daft but will the 83 be so much better than the 2010 Chinese made CV? I just don't know because I really like the CV but also like old basses. Can anybody help please?

Thanks

Mike(Pestie)

It`s all in the hands I`m afraid Mike. That said, the CVs are awesome basses, the necks especially. You may find, after playing a CV, that a Fender from that era will seem a tad on the huge-baseball-bat side. However, that may suit you and your way of playing. Having had many Precisions myself, I`ve found my 2011 to be the best for me, when all reviews etc state the 2012 series to be better. So really, only actually playing the bass will give you the answer.

Thank you both very much. I know that you are both right. I only have little hands and actually moved to medium scale but the CV just seems to suit me, I just have the urge for an old P but think it may just be a bit too much of a handful for me. Does the CV need any upgrades or are they good just as they are? I know these are daft basic questions but I don't know the answers.

I used to live near Hemel Lozz, Croxley Green.

Thanks again, any further advice greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Pestie' timestamp='1377619112' post='2189490']
I have a lovely CV Precision which I really like. However, I have the chance of a lovely 1983 USA Precision. Now this might sound daft but will the 83 be so much better than the 2010 Chinese made CV? I just don't know because I really like the CV but also like old basses. Can anybody help please?

Thanks

Mike(Pestie)
[/quote]

There will be people that will tell you it must be better because it was made in the USA, or it must be better because it was made 30 years ago, or that it must be better because the market says it's worth more. It's all hogwash when it comes down to individual instruments. You'll have to try it for yourself. Try to remain objective when inspecting/playing the bass - does it feel right to you? Does it sound right to you? Does it feel easy to play? Is it in good condition? If any of these come up no then do yourself a favour, don't get sucked into all the vintage BS and walk away. There'll be other basses. But it might feel just right in your hands, and if that happens, grab it.

[quote name='Pestie' timestamp='1377624195' post='2189577']
Thanks Gary. Do you have any suggestions for pup replacement please?
[/quote]

There's a whole new thread in itself!! :D Expect a lot of different answers on that one... Depends mostly (but not entirely) on budget, but also comes down (like most things) to personal preference.

I put a [url="http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Bass-Guitar-Pickups_c_97.html"]GFS[/url] overwound pickup in a Squier P bass that I used to have and was very happy with the result, especially as the pickup only cost about thirty quid - and that included shipping from the US!

Some people love "genuine"[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/accessories/pickups/original-precision-bass-pickup-black/"] Fender[/url] pickups. Others swear by [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass/pbass/"]Seymour Duncans[/url] (in their numerous guises). [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/"]Wizards[/url] have a very good rep, but are sadly now defunct as a manufacturer. They can sometimes be found used on here though.

There are many other manufacturers ranging in budget from the likes of [url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/wilkinson.html"]Wilkinson[/url] to the heady heights of[url="http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=pbass-pickups"] Lollar[/url], [url="http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass-pickups/"]Nordstrand[/url] et al.

It is a minefield!!

The one thing I'd add it you'll save a lot of money if you only buy a bass after you've actually had one just like it on your hands and played it for half an hour, even if it was only acoustical.

I've bought far too many instruments and found straight away that it's not for me. "Bargains" on Gumtree and Ebay that will lose you a packet if it's not right for you.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1377645646' post='2189964']
The CV 's are fine basses and generally consistant. In the 80's, Fender was dicey, so you might get a gem or a dog. There's no way of any of us being able to tell without playing it.
[/quote]

Odds are on that your CV will be the nicer bass.
Tried a few 80's Fenders when I was shopping for a P once and they were all obscenely heavy. Like REALLY bad back hurt you heavy.
All the CV's I've picked up to play in shops over the last few years have been great, really nice to play (relative to how off the hook shop set ups can be) and always make me smile.
Just play yours for 30 years and you'll have a really cool old bass ;)
If you do go shopping for an older bass though, shop with your head not your heart and be patient until you find the right one for you. There are thousands of basses out there, take your time.

As Lowender and Miletone have mentioned '80s US Fenders were generally ropey, there are some great ones but I remember mostly they were ridicules at the time; most Jap Fenders (and everything from Matsumoku for that matter) was far superior. Saying that, try it - you might find a good one and if its a decent price an investment as well

Contrary to what's been said here, Fender were putting out some of their best basses around '83. In 1982 there was a management buyout and production was scaled right back in an effort to improve quality.

Weight could still be an issue, but generally speaking the the fit and finish was as good as they ever achieved.

That said, as someone mentioned earlier, every instrument should be treated as an individual case.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1377670535' post='2190034']
Contrary to what's been said here, Fender were putting out some of their best basses around '83. In 1982 there was a management buyout and production was scaled right back in an effort to improve quality.

Weight could still be an issue, but generally speaking the the fit and finish was as good as they ever achieved.

That said, as someone mentioned earlier, every instrument should be treated as an individual case.
[/quote]

what he said.

mind you they are starting to sell for silly money - so if you can get it, afford it and it's below the market price.... having two basses won't kill you!

Maybe there was a lot of old stock in shops or it took a long while for them to filter over here - but 82 was when I got my first proper bass and they were all god awful the ones I tried then (and I went to just about every guitar shop in surrey and London at the time - I was keen in those days :D)- I ended up getting an Aria that I wish I'd kept now!

Edited by BobVbass

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1377670535' post='2190034']

[/quote]
True, and the American Vintage series were fine instruments. But you don't turn round a culture of almost two decades of cost cutting overnight, and Fender were putting out some rather bizarre instruments around that period. I think it would be wise to try any Fender from this period before buying, but then again that's true of most basses.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1377675366' post='2190077']

True, and the American Vintage series were fine instruments. But you don't turn round a culture of almost two decades of cost cutting overnight, and Fender were putting out some rather bizarre instruments around that period. I think it would be wise to try any Fender from this period before buying, but then again that's true of most basses.
[/quote]

Bill Schultz had a damn good go at turning it around overnight - that's why production was pretty much halted for a spell, and then slashed. Weight aside, the QC was a night-and-day change.

Obviously I'm not saying everything was great, but...

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1377675366' post='2190077']
[/quote]

would that be around the time this monstrous paint job escaped from the factory? :scratch_one-s_head: