Why become a member? ×

Selling my rig(s), what next?

basskit_case

Since picking up the bass about three years ago I now feel like I have finally found MY bass, its the Nate Mendel P Bass.

I don't have that connection with my amplification, I have been through a few set-ups but have not been able to find the one for me.

I am currently selling my amplification and looking to make a new purchase, I want something that can be used when playing live (loud) and home practice (aux-in, headphone-out).

I love the sound of a valve, but don't like the weight. that why the Roost head is going.

I love a stack, but the practicalities of multiple boxes makes me think a light-weight combo would be better.

I would have liked the Red Sub version of the Promeathean 5110, but it is no longer for sale.

I want to get the current items sold and then take the money to a decent music shop and try some things out, until that happens what would you recommend looking at?

Edited by basskit_case

Yup, as above. Not sure on your budget but for valve stuff, combo, I'd consider mesa walkabout, orange, ebs (not sure if there's a valve in there). Additionally, maybe consider separates such as genz Benz, gk and Tc electronics....... For starters! :)

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

Do what I (sub-consciously) did. Go and see some local bands and when you hear a tone you like, make note of the rig. Then keep doing the same - gives an opportunity to go out and have fun as well.

For me it was Markbass, whenever I heard a bassist whose tone I liked, invariably it was a Markbass rig. Now on it`s own I`m not so keen on the sound, but it just fits in the mix so well. And that for me is another thing, I`ve found that bass sounds I like soloed don`t translate to what I like in the mix, so trying gear out is great, and again good fun, but hearing it in full context is for me a better way to decide.

Will also add, I`m Ampeg/Marshall mad, but yet the clarity, yet warmth of Markbass in the mix is what got me.

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1377192742' post='2184661']
Yup, as above. Not sure on your budget but for valve stuff, combo, I'd consider mesa walkabout, orange, ebs (not sure if there's a valve in there). Additionally, maybe consider separates such as genz Benz, gk and Tc electronics....... For starters! :)
[/quote]

Yeah, walkabout scout. Also aguilar. Was gonna say GK and markbass ,but you want a valvey sound.;)

Yeah, agree with Lozz in that you should check out gigs and never panic into buying as some other players rig always seems to sound better ha. Personally.2 rigs come to mind for me that I have played through. 1st, an Ampeg 4 pro with it's 4x10 and a 15 below and 2nd an EBS TD 650 with a Neo 2x10 and a Neo 1x15 ( the volume goes up to 11) Both take up a lot of room in your vehicle though. Regards, Mick.

I've tried loads of rigs/combos in the past everything from Marshall 4x12 rig to 1x15 combos. I've finally found my amp nirvana in the form of an Orange terror bass 500 and a pair of aguilar gs112s. As others have said try as many variants as you can.

I agree with Lozz. Also pop down to a decent bass shop & take your bass with you to try as many as you can. I went with Markbass too & if you want that "Valve" sound, there's plenty of pedals that can do that, Sansamp being the most popular, I like my Moog for a little warm drive.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1377193949' post='2184682']
Do what I (sub-consciously) did. Go and see some local bands and when you hear a tone you like, make note of the rig. Then keep doing the same - gives an opportunity to go out and have fun as well.

[/quote]

This. And surprisingly, I've heard an awful lot of fine-sounding Ashdowns lately, though it's a brand that I wouldn't normally consider.

BB

I think you're seriously limiting the options available by insisting on a headphone socket for practice. if you can find a lower-cost solution for that (maybe a Tascam BT2, a headphone amp like the Vox, even a very small practice amp), you'll get much more choice for a main gigging amp.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1377333772' post='2186270']
I think you're seriously limiting the options available by insisting on a headphone socket for practice. if you can find a lower-cost solution for that (maybe a Tascam BT2, a headphone amp like the Vox, even a very small practice amp), you'll get much more choice for a main gigging amp.
[/quote]

Agreed, since looking I have ignored a number of options due to lack of aux in and phones out.

Perhaps one of the phone based guitar interfaces could do that job for me, or a vox amplug.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1377333772' post='2186270']
I think you're seriously limiting the options available by insisting on a headphone socket for practice.
[/quote]

My solution to a practice "rig" was to get an acoustic bass B)

Two roolz:

Don't confuse wattage with power.

Don't strangle your sound by forcing it through a minimum of cabinetry.
Double speakers is FAR louder than double watts.

Ask a repair tech what is built to last.
Lots of boutique names have pants build qual.

Checking the shops is good, but - as with cars - the depreciation hit is vast as soon as you are out the door.
Credible 2nd hand can help. If buying 2nd hand, remember to ask about repairs and mods. If they don't know - get it looked at.
Esp. on eBay. As described includes replies to questions, so if it gets 'like that' PayPal protection may save mucho pain.

Don't see a lot of love the TC Electronic BH500 on here, but the free cab offer has me interested, although [size=4]this goes against everything I said regards requirements on size![/size]

[size=4]But it would give me giggable volume, practice functionality and valve type sounds[/size]

[size=4]But which configuration?[/size]