Why become a member? ×

Ebay scam happening now. It's my bass!!

police squad

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1376917255' post='2180780']
The only problem with this is the seller now knows I'm the high bidder, not ideal but too late now.
[/quote]

Mmmm I didn't think of that :blush:

Maybe somebody can bid £1,000,001..I don't know ...maybe someone who has an e-bay account name that is nothing like his basschat name of Raymondo :ph34r:

If it is your photo, you can report it as copyright infringement. I've done that and had a listing pulled, it showed photos of my living room. Also bought an amp that was in my living room, then got £50 back for not as described, he'd pulled one of my pics of an amp off the net, and it was slightly different.

If it is possible to send attachments with messages to the ebayer pretending to sell th eitem would it be possible for police squad to send him a pic of the bass with today's newspaper alongside it, tell him he's been rumbled and to withdraw it before he gets in real trouble from ebay, or is this just letting him off too lightly?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1376916672' post='2180753']
I think they will try and get you to skirt the pay pal to save him the fee etc, gift item is it? Gives the buyer no come back as far as I know?
[/quote]
Yes, i'm with you now. It's got to be something along those lines.

All you have to do to satisfy paypal is send a package, couriered and signed for, to an address and provide a reference. PayPal then check the reference, see that it was delivered and signed for, and find in favour of the seller. They pretty much never check that the address tallies especially when an item started out as collection only as people tend to want things like this shipped to work addresses.

I know this as a mate was stung by a similar scam on a Gibson ES335.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1376922346' post='2180899']
It's worrying to think it could actually be a member here anyway?
[/quote]

It's possible I guess but if someone was to set up this sort of scam the first place they would look on the web for source material in addition to google would be particular forums that would include extra info that might make them decide which stuff was more desirable and better 'bait' for their false listings. No one has to be a subscriber to see posts here other than Off Topic iirc.

Edited by KevB

I cant believe this kind of thing goes on . Its most annoying to hear . I mean it looks like a genuine ad and he has answered a couple of questions

I see you guys are bidding vast amounts on it. Is that wise if ebay have not taken action? You might be held to pay that :unsure:

Edited by iceonaboy