Why become a member? ×

Something I Did NOT Expect

Lowender

I play with both fingers and a pick. (90% fingers). I always used a Fender heavy. It worked and that was as far as I had to think about it.

Then I read that Chris Squire used Herco picks. (Never heard of them). Now I'm not one to simply copy the habits of a player who I like and the last thing I thought would be a factor in his great sound of his would be the picks he uses. But ona whim, I picked up a bag of Hercos.

They felt weird at first but, ya know, since I've using them I can't go back to the Fenders because the Herco's really do SOUND better!

They have a bit more flex but are a bit thicker so I think there's more mass to grip the strings. In comparison the Fenders feel hard and sound more "plastic-y."

So there's just another of the little unexpected twists that this endeavor can bring.

Besides thickness and texture has anyone ever preferred a pick because of its [i]"sound?" [/i]

As someone who also plays guitar I experiment with picks all the time. I'm also a long time Herco user (Flex 75s since the late 70s).

What I have found though is you need to consider the sound in the band context. I used to play in a band with two Strat-wielding guitarists who in the main favoured clean sounds. Using a less flexible pick than the Herco sounded great on its own, but in the band mix the bass tended to disappear because the attack part of the note which sounded so great in isolation blended in too much with the guitar sound. Using the Herco which had a less defined attack but more body to the notes worked much better in the mix.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1376659159' post='2177516']
I play with both fingers and a pick. (90% fingers).
[/quote]
You've only got 2 fingers that are 9/10ths the length of normal fingers and you play bass using a pick. This is amazing. Photos please....... :D lol

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1376723051' post='2178362']
I really like Herdim triangular picks...nothing else feels as comfortable.

Not a Herco I realise, but I never expected to have a strong preference in picks either.
[/quote]

+1 for these - i remember these from 70s in my misspent guitar playing youth days - use Dunlop blacks now if i have to use a pick

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1376659159' post='2177516']Besides thickness and texture has anyone ever preferred a pick because of its [i]"sound?" [/i]
[/quote]

I like using a leather ukelele pick sometimes for a mellow sound: [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/914692/jumping-cow-leather-ukulele-plectrum-black/"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/914692/jumping-cow-leather-ukulele-plectrum-black/[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1376686651' post='2178139']
Not too far from the truth - I had the same one for more than twenty years - they just don't wear out. I lost it. :)
[/quote]

How do you do it? I buy mine 100 at a time which lasts me a couple of years. Even if I don't loose them they eventually wear away...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376733317' post='2178468']
How do you do it? I buy mine 100 at a time which lasts me a couple of years. Even if I don't lose them they eventually wear away...
[/quote]

I'm using Flex 50s and you're using Flex 75s, which (obviously) are thicker. So I imagine the same (or similar) playing forces would wear out a 75 quicker, purely because a 50 is more flexible?

I've only bought around 40 picks in as many years. I still have twelve of them. I keep two in my wallet, two in my bass case, two in the car, two in my practice room and have four spare! :)