Why become a member? ×

Is fretless fashionable?

shizznit

I received a job request this morning that requires fretless playing. That's the fourth request I have had in recent months, but I haven't owned a fretless bass for years as I never got called to use it.

Fretless bass was very common in the 80's and 90's, but I hear very little of it in today's music. Is it making a come back?

There was a particular fretless sound (pino) that was huge in the 80's/90's and seems to have gone away a bit but there is much more of that open character that you get from fretless about nowadays it seems...it never went away for me but I never did 'that' pino sound anyway, couldn't do it if I tried even with an octaver!!

Does this mean more shopping? what a shame B)

...no idea about fashions though...never was much of a dedicated follower thereof :blush:

Edited by andydye

No , fretless isn't fashionable again like it was in the 1980's when you would hear it on half a dozen or so of the tracks in the Top 40 at any given time , played with wildly varying degrees of taste and competance , I might add. That said , it might be having a mini-revival on the margins of the music world that I personally am not aware of .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1376658306' post='2177500']
Mine were melted down to build a Spitfire during the war.
[/quote]
[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1376658330' post='2177501']
A [i]disco[/i] Spitfire, that is.
[/quote]

Mods, mods - this HAS to go in the famous quotes thread - I've just nearly wet 'em.

Thankyou please.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1376650666' post='2177301']
I received a job request this morning that requires fretless playing. That's the fourth request I have had in recent months, but I haven't owned a fretless bass for years as I never got called to use it.

Fretless bass was very common in the 80's and 90's, but I hear very little of it in today's music. Is it making a come back?
[/quote]

Just a thought, there is such a glut of mellow, acoustic, singer-songwriter type stuff out there - perhaps the thinking is that fretless would suit the laid back vibe?

Sorry, realise this is a sensible response and nowhere near as much fun as Disco Spitfires!

Edited by Mykesbass