Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass up to 2000 pounds!

dudi8

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1376517331' post='2175500']
Does it have to be a Jazz? Yamaha 2024x's are wonderful instruments and you'll end up with a few hundred in change.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Or even close to £1,000 if you buy used!

The potential range of Jazz type basses up to £2,000 is vast.

Depends if you want something that cops the vintage vibe (but without Fender idiosyncrasies) vs more modern and active or with a flashy wood top vs simpler colours etc. etc.

At this price level you can pick up almost any of the top brands used and some very good ones brand new.

As some have said there are custom options available but a lot of the more well known luthiers will push over £2K for a full custom build these days. That's not to say that the less well known ones won't make something very nice.

Customs will always lose value faster than 'standard' models though so need to be wary if thinking about re-sale values.

Best return on investment at the top of this budget level is an American made Sadowsky. Nothing sells faster than a nice lightweight NYC Sadowsky with high end top wood.

Celinders hold value well but the prettier ones have crept over £2K and some are now closer to £3K because there aren't any new ones coming out of Chris' workshop at the moment.

Contrary to popular belief, Alleva Coppolos are the easiest of the J type bases to sell and hold value like nothing else. However you won't get close to one at £2K unfortunately.

Should be able to get a very good vintage Fender for this money (although 4 bolt necks are right at the top of the budget). Brand new Custom Shop models are kicking around just over £2K (unless they are rare colours or relic'd) and are, in the main, really well made and finished these days. Definitely able to get a used CS for under £2K.

Some Sei J's are fabulous value for money. Over £2K new but prices plummet on used ones.

Nordy and Lull easily available used in this budget (again they drop value fast from new).

I'm sure there's a zillion others too!

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1376517696' post='2175508']
I simply wouldn't pay £2000 for a jb if I could get an equally good used/franken one for under a grand...
[/quote]

I'm not sure "equally good" really means anything in the context of choosing a bass - it's an age old argument about what 'good' is. One person's stunning frankenbass is another's hideous monstrosity :(

[quote name='grayn' timestamp='1376500756' post='2175049']
I honestly don't think you'll beat this: [url="http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/overwater-j-series-natural"]http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/overwater-j-series-natural[/url]

:)
[/quote]

But you could certainly buy one for a lot less if you watch the classifieds and EBay :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1376518594' post='2175534']
I'm not sure "equally good" really means anything in the context of choosing a bass - it's an age old argument about what 'good' is. One person's stunning frankenbass is another's hideous monstrosity :(
[/quote]
I get your point, but in my case you won't get a better modern 4-string jb for even £2000. sometimes parts just match perfectly and play and sound as good as well. ;)

everybody who tried it only had words of praise:

...and of course you need a bit of luck.
but with the right research and imagination you can make a perfect match for yourself, if you know what you want.
there is no other 4-string jb I'd swap mine for, and I really tried some...

[i]edit: and it was definately under a grand £[/i]

Edited by krysh

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1376491642' post='2174807']
To be pedantic, going custom means there's 100% chance of getting [i]what you asked for[/i], which may or may not be the same as getting exactly what you [i]wanted. [/i]Personally speaking, I have absolutely no idea what the spec of my ideal bass would be. I'd have no idea where to start.

Going custom is brilliant, so long as you really know what you want. In this specific case the OPs requirements seem to be "jazz bass, four strings". Not really specific enough for custom!
[/quote]

You're right, but if you take a look at the custom builds that are going on currently, a lot of them are rather vanilla apart from the exotic wood tops and fret boards. I agree though (about not knowing what you'd want) but it's definitely an option to consider as, if you pick a good luthier/builder, you will have a lifetime of support so long as you own one of their instruments. Or at least that's how I feel with my custom build. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376558735' post='2175844']
Go and play some Shukers first before parting with any money. They get a lot of love on here, but I couldn't get on with any of his basses that I've tried.
[/quote]

That's the first time I've heard that, now you've got me curious :D

Was it something particular that didn't work for you?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1376518462' post='2175532']
Or even close to £1,000 if you buy used!

The potential range of Jazz type basses up to £2,000 is vast.

Depends if you want something that cops the vintage vibe (but without Fender idiosyncrasies) vs more modern and active or with a flashy wood top vs simpler colours etc. etc.

At this price level you can pick up almost any of the top brands used and some very good ones brand new.

As some have said there are custom options available but a lot of the more well known luthiers will push over £2K for a full custom build these days. That's not to say that the less well known ones won't make something very nice.

Customs will always lose value faster than 'standard' models though so need to be wary if thinking about re-sale values.

Best return on investment at the top of this budget level is an American made Sadowsky. Nothing sells faster than a nice lightweight NYC Sadowsky with high end top wood.

Celinders hold value well but the prettier ones have crept over £2K and some are now closer to £3K because there aren't any new ones coming out of Chris' workshop at the moment.

Contrary to popular belief, Alleva Coppolos are the easiest of the J type bases to sell and hold value like nothing else. However you won't get close to one at £2K unfortunately.

Should be able to get a very good vintage Fender for this money (although 4 bolt necks are right at the top of the budget). Brand new Custom Shop models are kicking around just over £2K (unless they are rare colours or relic'd) and are, in the main, really well made and finished these days. Definitely able to get a used CS for under £2K.

Some Sei J's are fabulous value for money. Over £2K new but prices plummet on used ones.

Nordy and Lull easily available used in this budget (again they drop value fast from new).

I'm sure there's a zillion others too!
[/quote]

Thanks! your helped alot!
but the only problem is that no one sells a NYC jazz sadowsky, or mike lull
they are impossible to find in europe in second hand...

NYC Sadowskys come up for sale now and then but they do move quickly.

In fact I'm negotiating with someone on the value of one right now. Unfortunately it's a very high spec model and almost new so I think it's going to be something like £2,700 :(

Some of the Metro range are really good. There's an odd one that's a little bland tonally but generally they are very good quality :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1376559179' post='2175858']
That's the first time I've heard that, now you've got me curious :D

Was it something particular that didn't work for you?
[/quote]

At the time I was looking for my ultimate fretless. I had seen the Shuker Artist Bass on his website and exchanged some emails with him. When I finally got to play one at Bass Day in Manchester (IIRC) I was completely underwhelmed. I tried some other models to see if it was maybe that one particular sample that didn't suit and they all had the same very ordinary, and for me, quite difficult to play. It's a while back now but my main impression was that they just felt awkward and uncomfortable. It was the same with all the Shuker basses that I tried, so it must be something to do with the way he makes them that simply doesn't suit me - and TBH I'm one of the least fussy players when it comes to feel of an instrument.

I played a Marleaux bass the same day which I would have bought if I'd not forgotten to put my new CC in my wallet instead of the one that had expired!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376561439' post='2175916']
At the time I was looking for my ultimate fretless. I had seen the Shuker Artist Bass on his website and exchanged some emails with him. When I finally got to play one at Bass Day in Manchester (IIRC) I was completely underwhelmed. I tried some other models to see if it was maybe that one particular sample that didn't suit and they all had the same very ordinary, and for me, quite difficult to play. It's a while back now but my main impression was that they just felt awkward and uncomfortable. It was the same with all the Shuker basses that I tried, so it must be something to do with the way he makes them that simply doesn't suit me - and TBH I'm one of the least fussy players when it comes to feel of an instrument.

I played a Marleaux bass the same day which I would have bought if I'd not forgotten to put my new CC in my wallet instead of the one that had expired!
[/quote]

Ah fair enough, sometimes certain brands just don't suit people. Ibanez for example for me. Still not found one I feel comfortable on.

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1376582914' post='2176477']
You could also look at the lakland jo osbourne, I think its called something else these days its my go bass most days
[/quote]

I must admit that I'd forgotten the US Laklands - they are uniformly very good indeed.

I've owned a couple and played a few others and every one if them has been nice.

I much prefer the US ones to the Korean/Indonesian models. These are good solid basses but the US ones are at another level :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1376676034' post='2177966']
On purely the photos and also knowing Sei's work, I'd say the Sei J5 is an awful LOT of bass for the money.

He is right up there with the very best, IMO.
[/quote]
I can definitively confirm this. B)

Edited by krysh

Hi,

I have a Fender custom shop 1960 Jazz bass, and I absolutely love it. There are a couple on here second hand that look good, especially the 60s one that's just gone up for sale.

I had a Sandberg California jazz bass and whilst it was a lovely instrument, it didn't sound that much like a jazz bass. Active electronics change the sound of a bass, not always for the better. There's a response and transparency to passive basses that I prefer to active basses.

Lastly, if you're not put off by the low price tag, I do have a Fender American Vintage '62 jazz for sale on here, and it is very very similar to the aforementioned Custom Shop jazz. It's actually a bit louder and more thick sounding, but I prefer the slightly thicker neck of the custom shop.

James

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1376832712' post='2179644']
Hi,

I have a Fender custom shop 1960 Jazz bass, and I absolutely love it. There are a couple on here second hand that look good, especially the 60s one that's just gone up for sale.

I had a Sandberg California jazz bass and whilst it was a lovely instrument, it didn't sound that much like a jazz bass. Active electronics change the sound of a bass, not always for the better. There's a response and transparency to passive basses that I prefer to active basses.

Lastly, if you're not put off by the low price tag, I do have a Fender American Vintage '62 jazz for sale on here, and it is very very similar to the aforementioned Custom Shop jazz. It's actually a bit louder and more thick sounding, but I prefer the slightly thicker neck of the custom shop.

James
[/quote]

i love the fender custom shops, but im actually searching for an active jazz bass...