Why become a member? ×

Help me improve my technique to stop tingling and numbness

bagsieblue

I've done a search on this but would like to be pointed towards other good information online.

Recently I've been getting a lot of tingling and numbness in both of my hands / wrists.
Most likely due to poor technique, the basics being to keep the wrists straight - but I must say I am finding that easier said than done.

Also, I am using a computer all day at work which I also think doesn't help my fingers and wrists to 'rest', although I do have the gel rests and now use the mouse left handed rather than right handed.

I urgently need to improve both my right hand and left hand technique, the right being the most urgent.
It looks like I need to break the habit of anchoring my thumb on the pickups and moving to floating thumb techniques - any recommendations on how to make this change please?

Would I be better practicing standing up to put my hands in a more natural position?

Over the net this sounds like it would be pretty difficult to help with. I would recommend asking around on here for recommendations for a tutor for you to spend a couple of hours with. A good tutor will have you sorted in no time :)

I'm sure you will get a lot of useful advice on this thread. There will also be a lot of stuff online. I do think, though, you would be far better served going to see an osteopath. They can give sound professional advice about the whole muscular skeletal structure of the body. Going to an osteopath will give you better results much more quickly than trying to do it yourself and maybe not fully understanding what you are doing.

I saw an osteopath about similar problems. They said they couldn't really help me - that I have wirsts too thin for my tendons. They did give me some exercises to do to help strengthen my wrist, which is supposed to help. Hold a heavy tin and rock it back and forth so you keep flexing your wrist.

No idea if this is applicable to your problems but it sounds like a similar thing

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1375692609' post='2164227']
I do think, though, you would be far better served going to see an osteopath. They can give sound professional advice about the whole muscular skeletal structure of the body. Going to an osteopath will give you better results much more quickly than trying to do it yourself and maybe not fully understanding what you are doing.
[/quote]

This is excellent advice. OP, your problem may not be entirely bass related, just that playing the bass merely aggravates the problem.
Seek professional medical advice. Then when you get the OK to play the bass, work on your technique.

The Floating Thumb is a great technique in that the wrist is straight and it helps in muting unwanted string sounds. Constant practice is the only way to master it. Below is a clip that demonstrates the technique, along with a clip on safe L/H technique.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRkSsapYYsA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRkSsapYYsA[/url]

All fine advice above. Consider your overall health too, since tingling can also be a sign of poor circulation. This can be exacerbated by smoking, poor diet, lack of exercise etc. If you're 22 and fit as a fiddle, you may of course ignore this post completely...!

Best,

BB

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1375694220' post='2164261']
This is no help but i find the floating thumb more natural than resting on a pick up. Maybe cos i started off playing with a pick.
[/quote]

Also probably not much help, but re; floating thumb.
I 'converted' to floating thumb after a couple of hours practice when I was just starting out. It now comes naturally to me and definitely helps with muting and string noise.
However, I do have have a tendancy to bend my right wrist - and that can happen even with floating thumb.
I start off all nice and straight, but then it starts to bend without me realising it. :(

Haven't had any hand or wrist problems yet though, touch wood. I do warm up my hands before practising though. Just a few fingers and wrist stretching exercises and then rubbing hands together and lastly relaxing and shaking them about.

[quote name='Wally' timestamp='1375702507' post='2164392']
Be worth taking a break, as much as you possibly can, from the activities causing wrist stress. Let the hands have a break.
[/quote]

This is good advice too. By the end of last year I was having a lot of trouble with my picking hand playing the double bass. I've had to take an extended break from playing it. Still have a few problems with that arm.

I think it was last week Jeremy Vine was talking about bad backs. Dr. Sarah Jarvis said that these problems can occur with a very small covert cause but the underlying problems can be traced back much further to younger life. I have a continuing problem with my back that can only be said to caused by lifelong bad posture and bad working practice. Osteopath keeps that right now.

This is one of those things that definately deserves investigation by a health care professional, like a physiotherapist - get referred to one by your GP and don't take no for an answer. It may be related to your bass playing, but it could also just be your bass exposing a pre - existing issue.

ignore this at your peril.

Good wishes for a speedy recovery

Visit a GP and get it checked out. On any thread like this, in any music or sport forum, you will get a whole pile of advice which may or may not be relevant, may be contradictory, may have worked for the people giving it BUT in the end go and see someone medically qualified who can order the requisite scans etc and work out what is really wrong. Once you know that (in my case it's mainly arthritis in the base of both thumbs) you can look at treatment and ways round the problem but you need to know exactly what the problem is first.

Good luck

Steve

Here's my 10 penneth and a tale that nearly resulted in me giving up playing.
Started with problems cramping up in my arms and loss of feeling/tingling in fingers that comes on now and again and steadily got worse. This started almost a year ago. Then got a really bad back pain. Went to see my GP who just kept giving me painkillers, (which just made me throw up), so I went to see a Chiropractor suspecting a posture issue.
Got a full examination and X-Rays and it would appear that I have a double compression fracture in the middle of my spine. It’s an old injury, 10 – 12 years, but is now really uncomfortable. The arm/ finger problems, are due to issues with neck alignment causing the neck muscles to compress the nerves running into my arms. Any tingling and loss of feeling is likely to be a nerve problem.
The problem with the GP route is that as the NHS is heavily funded by Drug Companiies, a prescription is the easy option and only if you mither like hell, will they take it further.
After 3 months with the Chiro, my back is fine and the fingers are almost back to normal. Nerve damage can take anything up to 6 months to repair. if you suspect a posture issue, an Oesteopath or Chiropractor is really the best bet.

I agree with Bassbunny as I'm suffering the same in my left hand at the mo. My left ring and pinky fingers and right hand side of my left palm are constantly tingling and go dead. Originally, my Chiro traced this problem to my neck and left shoulder. The Ulna nerve being the culprit. I'm due to visit Chiro in the next couple of weeks as I live a fair way from him. Last time he freed the nerve, a little less than two days later the tingling was completely gone. Just to check it was the same nerve playing up, I got my wife to lightly press the area it runs to in the upper shoulder area and it hurt like crazy so I know it's the culprit. An exercise my chiro advised and that helped me is to sit upright, push your shoulders down, place one hand over the other in line and it doesn't matter which, with hands facing inwards and whilst pushing your shoulders down as much as poss, gently and slowly raise your hands up from low down as poss and so your arms go up to 90 degress to your body and repeat 3-4 times maybe three times a day.... It helps me but ultimately my nerve needs to be released properly... I messed mine up again a couple of weeks back lying underneath the rusty old vw Golf I own, trying to yank a crankshaft loose with a large breaker bar and I felt the damage when I stood up. Another thing that messes it up is lying on your side on a sofa, with your elbow on the sofa arm and propping your head up with your hand.

Who knows, the exercise might help you too. If it is the ulna you may feel remnants of what I would describe as "pins and needles" in your whole arm as you perform the exercise... Good luck... Rob.

Edited by funkybassman2020

[quote name='funkybassman2020' timestamp='1375759029' post='2165251']
I agree with Bassbunny as I'm suffering the same in my left hand at the mo. My left ring and pinky fingers and right hand side of my left palm are constantly tingling and go dead. Originally, my Chiro traced this problem to my neck and left shoulder. The Ulna nerve being the culprit. I'm due to visit Chiro in the next couple of weeks as I live a fair way from him. Last time he freed the nerve, a little less than two days later the tingling was completely gone. Just to check it was the same nerve playing up, I got my wife to lightly press the area it runs to in the upper shoulder area and it hurt like crazy so I know it's the culprit. An exercise my chiro advised and that helped me is to sit upright, push your shoulders down, place one hand over the other in line and it doesn't matter which, with hands facing inwards and whilst pushing your shoulders down as much as poss, gently and slowly raise your hands up from low down as poss and so your arms go up to 90 degress to your body and repeat 3-4 times maybe three times a day.... It helps me but ultimately my nerve needs to be released properly... I messed mine up again a couple of weeks back lying underneath the rusty old vw Golf I own, trying to yank a crankshaft loose with a large breaker bar and I felt the damage when I stood up. Another thing that messes it up is lying on your side on a sofa, with your elbow on the sofa arm and propping your head up with your hand.

Who knows, the exercise might help you too. If it is the ulna you may feel remnants of what I would describe as "pins and needles" in your whole arm as you perform the exercise... Good luck... Rob.
[/quote]cheers funkybassman, ive had a trapped nerve in my neck for 2 months, excruciating pain which has gone now tho still plenty of numbness, i sit on the sofa like that nearly every night... Not any more...

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1375693074' post='2164235']
I saw an osteopath about similar problems. They said they couldn't really help me - that I have wirsts too thin for my tendons. They did give me some exercises to do to help strengthen my wrist, which is supposed to help. Hold a heavy tin and rock it back and forth so you keep flexing your wrist.

No idea if this is applicable to your problems but it sounds like a similar thing
[/quote]

I know a good wrist exercise, but I think the filter would not allow me to let you in on my technique ;)

I never really thought about my "floating thumb" technique, it just comes natural to me I suppose. I get quite pissed off with young whippersnappers telling me how to hold my guitar right enough (bottom vid)
Why are there so many folk on youtube who feel that they are experts at telling everyone how to do things?
Personally, I found that if it hurt me, I would change my technique, and its evolved from there

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1375814266' post='2166105']
I get quite pissed off with young whippersnappers telling me how to hold my guitar right enough (bottom vid)
Why are there so many folk on youtube who feel that they are experts at telling everyone how to do things?
Personally, I found that if it hurt me, I would change my technique, and its evolved from there
[/quote]

That young whippersnapper is not "telling" you anything. He is merely giving advice, (constructive, IMO) based on his experience, on the safest method to play the bass. I get pissed off with ( I dont know your age) know-it-all whippersnappers, who think they are so expert themselves, that they are above constructive advice. :P

As far as "if it hurts...change you technique" is concerned, that is indeed good advice. The only problem with the likes of CTS and RSI is that it can take years for the pain to manifest itself. So it may not hurt [i]now, [/i]but if a person continues to play in a certain manner, he greatly increases his chances of injury problems at a later time. If someone does develop either of these injuries, it can take a long time to heal. Better to heed good advice and avoid all the pain and hassle.

Edited by Coilte

I had really swollen tendons in both wrists a couple of years back and it took a long time to recuperate. I also use a computer all day at work and one thing that has helped immensely is getting rid of my mouse and replacing it with an Apple trackpad. I hardly have to move my right hand at all to do all the usual mouse stuff, plus I'm not having to holding/pinch anything and I can keep my wrist straight the whole time. It's a really great little peripheral for minimising stress on your wrist.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1375821319' post='2166232']
That young whippersnapper is not "telling" you anything. He is merely giving advice, (constructive, IMO) based on his experience, on the safest method to play the bass. I get pissed off with ( I dont know your age) know-it-all whippersnappers, who think they are so expert themselves, that they are above constructive advice. :P

As far as "if it hurts...change you technique" is concerned, that is indeed good advice. The only problem with the likes of CTS and RSI is that it can take years for the pain to manifest itself. So it may not hurt [i]now, [/i]but if a person continues to play in a certain manner, he greatly increases his chances of injury problems at a later time. If someone does develop either of these injuries, it can take a long time to heal. Better to heed good advice and avoid all the pain and hassle.
[/quote]

Yeah well you watch whatever vids on you tube you want and Ill just do it my way. I have been playing long enough to know whats gonna hurt and whats not. if you feel the need to be taught by that young guy, go for it

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1375824676' post='2166287']
Yeah well you watch whatever vids on you tube you want and Ill just do it my way. I have been playing long enough to know whats gonna hurt and whats not. if you feel the need to be taught by that young guy, go for it
[/quote]

Good advice is just that.... regardless of the age of the person giving it, or the way he chooses to convey it. ;)

No matter how long someone is playing, there will always be something new to learn.

BTW, I think that "little whippersnapper" might know what he is talking about :

[url="http://adamneely.com/b/"]http://adamneely.com/b/[/url]

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1375826488' post='2166308']
Last word I don't need all these experts telling me playing technique , I made a humorous remark about the amount of so called experts on you tube but you have obviously taken offence as its you who posted the experts videos
[/quote]

OK, my last word.

Fair enough, [i]you [/i]dont need any experts, but the link I posted was not particularly for your benefit. It was meant for the OP to check it out in the hope that it might be of some benefit to him, assuming he has not got your closed mind, know-it-all attitude.

I am not offended in any way, as it is no skin off my nose whether or not anyone likes or accepts the the advice given in the clip.

What does piss me off though, are know-it-alls who dismiss someone who is giving constructive advice, and assume that because they are young that the said advice is somehow invalid.

Edited by Coilte