Why become a member? ×

What no Markers!!????

bubinga5

Hey people.Just a quick one. Later on this year i intend to buy a new bass. I have my eye on an Elrick Gold Jazz. I have noticed that this bass has no fingerboard markers, i pressume they are on the side...How do any of you guys/girls get on with out fingerboard markers. I have always played fret board markered basses, and was wondering how easy it is to get used to side markers...I dont want to not get this bass because of a few markers..Just look at it!!!!!!!!!!

Also whats the deal with Elrick and Cort???

Edited by bubinga5

There are probably dots up the side of the neck but, either way, it doesn't take you long to find you way around a neck. Its about practice and familiarity. Most violins, cellos, double basses, violas and classical guitars don't have markers of any kind. 1,000,000 string players can't all be wrong!!

I collect vintage Hofners from the 50's & 60's. They all have fret markers on the fretboard (where they're very little help when playing) but NO side dots ... ever!

This is deeply irritating when you're a beginner (as I was fairly recently) but in truth you get used to it fairly quickly once you get a bit of confidence that you'll hit the right note.

My concern is always that I have real difficulty hearing myself play on stage, which leaves me pretty paranoid about playing bum notes or (on a fretless) out of tune. When I use in-ear monitoring I'm fine, but when that's not available I like to be playing something with side dots.

I worried about this but then realised that I don't use the front markers when I play, only the side ones (and mine light up :))
However my guitarist uses my front markers to check what key we are playing in sometimes (in impromtu numbers, we are not that chaotic) so it throws him a bit when I play my bass with no front markers...

[quote name='3V17C' post='216049' date='Jun 10 2008, 11:59 AM']i've had basses before that only had side markers - no problems with it all - although it can confuse guitarists when they're trying to figure out something you're playing by watching your left hand!!

peace

c[/quote]

Snap :) fun isn't it :huh:

Both my F Bass and Marleaux only have dots on the side, i don't find it a problem and i'd rather they didn't have the dots.

It doesn't take any adjusting to what so ever in my mind...

As for your cort/elrick comment...i'm not sure what the deal is there either!

[quote name='3V17C' post='216049' date='Jun 10 2008, 11:59 AM']i've had basses before that only had side markers - no problems with it all - although it can confuse guitarists when they're trying to figure out something you're playing by watching your left hand!![/quote]

My guitarist gets confused by my B string, every time.

Dipstick.

I've just moved onto a bass that only has side markers for the first time and it's made no difference at all.

My Warwick Thumb doesn't have fretboard markers and it made absolutely no difference to my ability to play (or lack of ability :huh: ). I find that the fretboard is facing the audience most of the time and the dot markers up the side of the fretboard are far more important.

I find that it is actually quite good to practice in the dark and try to get your hands to remember where the frets are. That way you won't get lost when all the stage lights go out at a gig! :)

[quote name='Galilee' post='216094' date='Jun 10 2008, 12:45 PM']My guitarist gets confused by my B string, every time.

Dipstick.

I've just moved onto a bass that only has side markers for the first time and it's made no difference at all.[/quote]

+1
I've just restrung my no dot markers bass to E-C too. Got to keep them on their toes :)

i always stayed clear of basses with out front markers until i actually played one and it was fine... made me realise i don't actually use them as much as i thought i did, think its just a habit get into when you 1st learn but its quite easy to get out of if. also got to thinking its probably better from an on stage point of view for me to not be stood with my head bowed trying to look at the front of the neck all the time, just a quick glance down evreytime i venture up to the dusty end of the fretboard just to make sure i'm sliding up to the right note.

i say go for it!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='216040' date='Jun 10 2008, 11:50 AM']There are probably dots up the side of the neck but, either way, it doesn't take you long to find you way around a neck. Its about practice and familiarity. Most violins, cellos, double basses, violas and classical guitars don't have markers of any kind. 1,000,000 string players can't all be wrong!![/quote]

Plus the one

I went from a lined to a lineless (that even a word?)
they normally put the dots ON the line of the 1-3-5-7-9-12 etc. if you have played lined ones it shouldnt take too long to figure this out unless you dont play 1 finger per fret and/or clasical grip.

Never really notice the front markers only the side ones.

Basses without front markers are no problem at all, in fact my custom Gus was specified without front markers at all. The only time I've ever had a problem is with my Traben Phoenix 5-string which has a fancy inlay on the fingerboard which is most prominent at the 8th fret so sometimes I half notice it and think it's either the 7th or 9th...

Fretboard markers are for other people to see what you're playing, side dots are for your reference. I'm all for basses without fretboard markers because it'll keep your guitarist on his toes when you take the lead in a song and he can't see what you're doing! :)

I almost didn't buy my Bass Collection SB300 because it doesn't have front markers and I thought I'd never get used to it and get lost all the time. Half an hour later I'd completely forgotten what a front marker looked like. Buy it; plain fretboards look slick!

[quote name='josh3184' post='216216' date='Jun 10 2008, 02:57 PM']as i recall warwicks only have fretboard markers as a customshop option[/quote]

Streamer Stage II has the yin/yan as standard... but back to the original question. I have no idea what my Yin/Yan markers look like as I only ever see the side dots, I'm sure they look nice to the audience though :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='216511' date='Jun 10 2008, 11:37 PM']I have no idea what my Yin/Yan markers look like as I only ever see the side dots, I'm sure they look nice to the audience though :huh:[/quote]

exactly, does anyone actually look at their board markers? The only markers i look at are the dots on the top and i do find them helpful, but I've never found myself to be in a playing position where i could actually see the board markers anyway. Neither of my 2 main basses have markers (Warwick Thumb BO and SS1) and there is literally nothing to get used to, you should take to it like a duck to water - i actually prefer the look of a blank fret board.

EDIT - as long as there are side markers then you will have no problems :)

Edited by benwhiteuk