Why become a member? ×

August Composition Competition

charic

I think it's a pretty tall order. I actually would have preferred 1 minute sections, as it allows more time for an actual song to form, but it's still a very difficult task. I will give it a go, but I make no promises. Although I am in the minority who have as much free time as we like :D

i think the video idea is cool, but i think an unrelated video of 5 minutes like something landscapey or spacey or something would be better than images we have already worked on previously.

i like your thinking behind it rick, and the idea was clever.. but i can't help but feel id end up rehashing my old ideas a bit using the same photo's

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1374662957' post='2151410']New shorter video :)[/quote]

Thanks mate. I'm probably being thick here... but how do I go about downloading the video? (without using one of the those dodgy Youtube Downloader sites!). Tried right-clicking on it but I'm not getting any options to save the file.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1374664342' post='2151427']Nope. Still too much time going over the same territory. Nothing fresh to get inspired by.[/quote]
[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1374665003' post='2151442']i think the video idea is cool, but i think an unrelated video of 5 minutes like something landscapey or spacey or something would be better than images we have already worked on previously.[/quote]

I tend to agree with the Robs... I was getting excited about writing a soundtrack to some video footage - rather than a slideshow - but that's maybe an idea to save for another special occasion, given that Charic has gone to the trouble of putting this one together.

Bilbo and I are actually in a fairly unique position in that I think we're the only people who've submitted something each month - there may be others too; Garry perhaps? (I'd have to check) - so my approach is likely to be some kind of giant remix of what I've done to date, which will be a challenge in itself :blink: We'll see.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1374665789' post='2151465']
Thanks mate. I'm probably being thick here... but how do I go about downloading the video? (without using one of the those dodgy Youtube Downloader sites!). Tried right-clicking on it but I'm not getting any options to save the file.
[/quote]

For me it says download mp4 underneath the video itself? I assume you don't have this?

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1374666327' post='2151477']For me it says download mp4 underneath the video itself? I assume you don't have this?[/quote]

Cheers Myke. No, I'm not seeing a download link. I assume you mean the link is part of the 'frame' of the YouTube player, or it is further down the page itself?

Could be the browser I'm using - Firefox 3.6.28 - which is fairly ancient but it's all I can run on the old dinosaur Mac at work! I'm also not logged in to YouTube, in case that makes a difference.

Sounds like the download link is working anyway - I'll try it again when I get home using a more recent 'puter.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1374666821' post='2151488']
Cheers Myke. No, I'm not seeing a download link. I assume you mean the link is part of the 'frame' of the YouTube player, or it is further down the page itself?

Could be the browser I'm using - Firefox 3.6.28 - which is fairly ancient but it's all I can run on the old dinosaur Mac at work! I'm also not logged in to YouTube, in case that makes a difference.

Sounds like the download link is working anyway - I'll try it again when I get home using a more recent 'puter.
[/quote]

Ah okay. I can send it to you via WeTransfer if you'd like?

Wow, a lot of white flags already..
You mission, if you choose to accept it.....[size=4]six minutes of media music.[/size]
[size=4]The way i see it..... treat it just as that, six minutes of media music, not twelve 30 second songs stitched together :lol: :lol:[/size]
[size=4]Load the Video/slide show, put in markers on your time line/bar lines for the picture change so you know where you are,[/size]
[size=4]and make one picture flow into the next..be it, a mood change, style change, key change or a variation on a theme[s] or whatever.[/size]

[size=4]Out of your comfort zone...maybe...out of this world...no!!....[/size]
[size=4]You ain't gonna die.... :D[/size]

[size=4]Garry[/size]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1374667356' post='2151503']
You mission, if you choose to accept it.....six minutes of media music.
The way i see it..... treat it just as that, six minutes of media music, not twelve 30 second songs stitched together :lol: :lol:
Load the Video/slide show, put in markers on your time line/bar lines for the picture change so you know where you are,
and make one picture flow into the next..be it, a mood change, style change, key change or a variation on a theme[s] or whatever.

Out of your comfort zone...maybe...out of this world...no!!....
You ain't gonna die.... :D

Garry
[/quote]

I had a feeling you would like this one :lol:

Personally I'm more inspired by it but am doubtful I will find time as I am moving house and trying to write a song in my nans memory at the moment :)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1374667356' post='2151503']
You mission, if you choose to accept it.....six minutes of media music.
The way i see it..... treat it just as that, six minutes of media music, not twelve 30 second songs stitched together :lol: :lol:
Load the Video/slide show, put in markers on your time line/bar lines for the picture change so you know where you are,
and make one picture flow into the next..be it, a mood change, style change, key change or a variation on a theme[s] or whatever.

Out of your comfort zone...maybe...out of this world...no!!....
You ain't gonna die.... :D

Garry
[/quote]

you should have been here when it was a 13 minute video ;P, thats when the flags went up
for me the actual composing wouldnt be so much of an issue, just the time requirements to do it

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1374668451' post='2151528']
you should have been here when it was a 13 minute video
[/quote]

He was :lol:

Funnily enough I originally made it 30secs each but I thought it would be harder

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1374668451' post='2151528']
you should have been here when it was a 13 minute video
[/quote]

I was - And did the download, It came in at 100 meg, as an AVI HD...
Took the time to eat my Frankfurter toasty while downloading. :lol:

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1374710078' post='2152398']
Total head f..., this one could cause overload, no ideas, if my poxy laptop can stand the stress of video and DAW at the same time I will have a go, don't hold your breaths though. Need to read up on how to even start with this one, divorce impending :)
[/quote]

haha - i started mine last night quickly figured out i need some vocals though.... and my vocal ability is non-existent =l

Off on a tangent somewhat, I thought this article on SoundCloud about creating music with constraints was quite interesting.
And I think creative collaboration could be fun, too. Just a thought...

[url="http://tinyurl.com/p8fxloj"]http://tinyurl.com/p8fxloj[/url]

Edited by discreet