Why become a member? ×

August Composition Competition

charic

Interesting idea, personally I'd prefer the 12 minute version, 24 would probably be most comfortable, but if you ask for 6 ye shall receive.

Just to be clear, are we allowed to reuse parts of our entries for each month in the appropriate section? I'm not talking about just copying and pasting, but maybe revisiting a melody or riff in a new way.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1374887442' post='2154558']
Interesting idea, personally I'd prefer the 12 minute version, 24 would probably be most comfortable, but if you ask for 6 ye shall receive.

Just to be clear, are we allowed to reuse parts of our entries for each month in the appropriate section? I'm not talking about just copying and pasting, but maybe revisiting a melody or riff in a new way.
[/quote]

Feel free to use the original mate. Reusing ideas is fine. Copy and pasting not so much

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1374868035' post='2154358']
Off on a tangent somewhat, I thought this article on SoundCloud about creating music with constraints was quite interesting.
And I think creative collaboration could be fun, too. Just a thought...

[url="http://tinyurl.com/p8fxloj"]http://tinyurl.com/p8fxloj[/url]
[/quote]

I wonder if Madeleine is up for some group action...?

Come on, you folks; keep up..!

Here's my entry for the August Challenge (...and it's not yet end of July..! :P ).

OK, it not being very good makes things easier, but it may inspire those that think it's difficult or time-consuming. If [i]I [/i]can do [i]this[/i] in a couple of evenings, [i]you[/i] can certainly do better in a couple of weeks..! :lol:
It will become obvious to those that dare to play the video that this is my very first video composition. Your indulgence is craved...

Enough..! With no further ado, here's Bass Chat 12...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjpHQrQjghs&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Video edited with VideoPad Video Editor.
Drums programmed with MDrummer, through Reaper, treated with Wavosaur.
My Hofner Verithin recorded 'live' into Reaper, cleaned up (a bit...) with Wavosaur.

Enjoy...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1375012370' post='2155676']
Another quick clarification: we're meant to upload our entries in video format to something like YouTube? If so, that's fine by me.

I'm just having a quick play with iMovie, getting my head around the techy side of this. So far so good :)
[/quote]

I don't claim to be an expert in iMovie, but I use it enough to know most things about it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1375012370' post='2155676']...we're meant to upload our entries in video format to something like YouTube?...[/quote]

I can't see any other means of playing in sync to the video. I thought of SoundCloud, but chose 'Utube for convenience. If there's any other (better..?) way, I'll comply, if I can. I have an 'AVI' version, or MP4, but we should basically stick to one format, I should think...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1375085749' post='2156402']
PM sent, with link to video...
[/quote]

nice one thanks for that i will check it when I get home ^_^ - Also thanks for you vote in the July competition I appreciate it. I see you have already entered your piece for august I will have to have have a listen when i get in from work... I am struggling for ideas this time round.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1375182179' post='2157642']I'm busy throughout August and have composed three more numbers since July's entry (puff, pant) so will be having a rest! :)[/quote]

...and damn good numbers they are too!

I know how you feel though mate. I'm really pushed for time this month myself (silly season at work with a big event to organise for September), but I feel doggedly obliged to do something having been involved each month since these challenges started! It'd be rude not to ;)

I've started on some kind of mashup of my Basschat tracks thus far... Not as easy as it sounds, what with various genres, tempos, keys and time sigs going on (one of them is in 15:8 FFS!). Still, there's some fun to be had with it.

PS: well done to Douglas with his early bird entry! I've had a brief listen and it sounds good. The transitions seem spot on with the video.

I am with Bilbo with this one - I am not going to revisit the older tracks and go over old ground,
If I get time to do this, I am going to start from scratch, It will be more of a challenge (for me)
The problem is getting the older tracks out of my head. :D

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1375689188' post='2164167']I am with Bilbo with this one - I am not going to revisit the older tracks and go over old ground[/quote]

That's definitely the better approach mate. I just don't have time to start from scratch this month, so I'm going down the Jive Bunny route :) I'm still going to mess with each track to a fair extent, but it's going to be more an exercise in remixing than straight up composition.

I think my transitions between each image are going to be a bit wonky - they don't seem to be evenly spaced, with some images running for 28 seconds duration, others 29 or 30 seconds, which is causing havoc in terms of rhythm. And so far I'm working in Reason with markers showing each change, but no actual video running alongside the track to compare against. Although I might try ReWiring into Reaper as you suggested earlier.

But meh... should be a fun project regardless :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1375693629' post='2164245']
...transitions between each image are going to be a bit wonky - they don't seem to be evenly spaced, with some images running for 28 seconds duration, others 29 or 30 seconds, which is causing havoc in terms of rhythm...[/quote]

...which is why I decided to use a video editor for the project. I settled for a 'master' beat of 120, and went with the flow. It became very easy to 'line up' the transitions. There are probably better video editors than VideoPad, but that one was available (and free...) and helped enormously.
Basically, I was creating 'wav's, which I pasted into the audio track of the video. Maybe my approach is too simplistic..? :unsure:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1375694068' post='2164258']
I settled for a 'master' beat of 120, and went with the flow. It became very easy to 'line up' the transitions [/quote]

Just been putting some markers in place for a template. And 120 Bpm seems pretty steady for me as well, although I will need a couple of 2/4 bars and a couple of 3/8 bars
to link [size=4]through the transitions. Some of the picture transitions are tight and link well, some splutter over a couple of beats.[/size]
[size=4]Oh well, I will look over it in anger next week sometime.[/size]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1375694545' post='2164267']...[size=4]Some of the picture transitions are tight and link well, some splutter over a couple of beats...[/size][/quote]

An element not to be forgotten: I'm rather more a drummer than a bassist..! 'Break' beats, rubato, 'feeling' etc. are part of the stock in trade. We (drummers...) are not metronomes (or, to be more precise, are not [i]always [/i]or[i] only [/i]metronomes...). For my part I quite enjoy a bit of tripping up; breaks the monotony. Not all is 4 on the floor 4/4 (at least, not in my book...).
YMMV, of course...

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1375696402' post='2164298']i should have a go at this.... but i just don't have the energy[/quote]

...you can blame me for sapping your energy last month like a vampire!

Hope you're well mate. We got some nice feedback on that last track from folks here and elsewhere :)