Why become a member? ×

Todd Rundgren - Not seen him mentioned on here much :(

xilddx

Yep master songwriter , player and everything else ,even computer paint programmes.

Loved watching this :

http://youtu.be/eMSBIoehD70

showing the admiration for Todds writing , and the complex arrangements even had the Daryl's house band scratcthing there heads at times !

Also he says on this vid that when he originally recorded it he did it all live no overdubs so that when he was singing, the song is the song performed , no mean feat with all the breakdowns etc , hell of a song if you ask me !

Edited by plumbob

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1374288172' post='2147274']
Todd really knows how to wright catchy prog pop. This one's for RhysP

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfVr13R_Rog[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks Nige. :)
"Genius" is a much overused term, but I think it's valid in Todds case.
I've been a huge fan of his since first hearing Utopia's "Caravan" on the Friday Rock Show when I was 15.

Here's a pic of me & Todd from 1994:
[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/RhysP/media/RhysampTodd94_zps0e00a2a3.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/RhysP/RhysampTodd94_zps0e00a2a3.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1374306087' post='2147327']
NIge when you were probably in short trousers i had the immense pleasure of seeing Todd Rundgren Kasim Sultan Roger Powell and John Wilcox at a very big live gig supporting a mahoosive band

They were imho better than the main act :D
[/quote]

Knebworth 1979?

Not seen him mentioned on here much:

Perhaps some people are put off mentioning their favourite music or musicians because usually it's not long before the BC 'experts' comes along and tells the poster the errors of their ways in no uncertain terms. I think that must put a lot of people off posting.

I happen to like Todd Rundgren and have most of his albums. He's made some brilliant music and is a real innovator.

Ha! One of my first memories from BC is exactly someone mentioning him, and someone else expressing to be happy to see some love for him on the boards. Not gonna check, but I think maybe the culprits were in fact Nigel xilddx and me, me mentioning him, and Nigel being happy.

He's been mentioned a few times since in the near two years that have gone.
I seem to recall that the Scouser band The Rickenbackers have been mentioned somewhat more, which of course is goodbad reasonableunreasonable.

Yes, he's a genius, and his music got even better after he took my advice to heart. :P

Seriously though, I can imagine how one composes and arranges a tune, but how the feck does he even come up with these ideas?
I mean:
"Lucky Guy"? The slightly meandering sense of harmonic drive through use of the chromatics? Wonderful, wonderful!
"Can We Still Be Friends"? Sooo simple, again (just looking at the intervals) and yet so strong in taking one to and through musically emotional landscapes. Fantastic!

As a composer, I do complex really well. You want "advanced"? Ready tomorrow! You want two hundred parts and interlockingtwinedmultipoly? Gimme a few days. But writing a song like Todd can? Chanceless, and will be for the rest of my life. :(

OK, back to my Toddaltar. It's been a few hours already.

best,
bert

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1374319312' post='2147499']
I know quite a lot of people who were there that say Utopia kicked Zeppelins arse that day. :)
[/quote]

oh they certainly did - the only way in which they were inferior is that the FOH had the sound down around 60% all day for the support bands then cranked it right up when Zep came on for extra effect - JPJ and JB were awesome and RP was OK ... JP was a shambles and was stoned out of his tree

Todd was all over the stage in a bright yellow lycra onesie and really worked the crowd with a great set

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1374320705' post='2147524']
Todd was all over the stage in a bright yellow lycra onesie and really worked the crowd with a great set
[/quote]
I've seen plenty of photos of that yellow lycra outfit - a pretty scary sight given the legendary enormity of the Rundgren willy. :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1374306087' post='2147327']
NIge when you were probably in short trousers i had the immense pleasure of seeing Todd Rundgren Kasim Sultan Roger Powell and John Wilcox at a very big live gig supporting a mahoosive band

They were imho better than the main act :D
[/quote]

Not Lynyrd Skynyrd. 10CC & The Stones by any chance?

If so, I was there too :)

Edit : just spotted you were 3 years later than me. He was very good at Knebworth in '76 as well!

Edited by molan

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1374313262' post='2147427']
Check out Todd at Daryl's House.

Those guys work well together.
[/quote]

The episode which is actually at Todd's house is my favourite of the series :)

Todd's place looks amazing!

I know quite a lot of people who were there that say Utopia kicked Zeppelins arse that day. :)
[/quote]

Yep - I agree with all those people and steve-bbb

Saw him again at Hammersmith about 4 years ago when he was performing the whole of A Wizard A True Star, with some pretty far out costume changes. And he provided the support act - Todd Rundgren's Johnson. High octane covers of Robert Johnson songs - presumably just as an excuse for him to use that band name ;-)

[/quote]

Saw him again at Hammersmith about 4 years ago when he was performing the whole of A Wizard A True Star, with some pretty far out costume changes. And he provided the support act - Todd Rundgren's Johnson. High octane covers of Robert Johnson songs - presumably just as an excuse for him to use that band name ;-)

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1374331328' post='2147699']

[/quote]
I had tickets for that but I never got there due to some sh*tty family emergency.

Just like Rhys , my first memory of hearing Todd Rundgren was on the Friday Rock Show when I was a kid . Tommy Vance used to play this , and I loved it at the time :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEV6wZd9_9c[/media]

To be honest , it must be 30 years ( !) or more ( !!) since I last heard that track , and in retrospect it sounds a bit like Boston ( More Than A Feeling , ect ) with A - Levels to me nowadays , but Todd's talents are so many and so varied that I can easily forgive him that . He's a top producer as well as musician and prolific songwriter , let's not forget .

Edited by Dingus

I think that people tend to forget that he produced and played on the third best selling album of all time!

One of the most impressive things that I have ever heard was a solo’d edit of Todd playing the motorcycle noises and one of the most memorable solos of all time on the ‘Bat Out Of Hell’ title track, all in one pass, first take and without the slightest hint of a fluffed note – an outstanding feat of musicianship…

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1374343289' post='2147888']
Hermit of Mink Hollow = genius. Much of the rest = overproduced dross.

IMO of course!
[/quote]

May the gods (the todds?) strike me for saying this, but you do have a good point there.

b,
b