Why become a member? ×

Played my first Precision in anger!

njr911

After playing a Jazz for the last 18 months (and guitar before that) I used my new P bass at tonight's rehearsal and I was blown away. It sat in the mix really nicely. Growled when it needed to and sounded great on most songs.

This was with rounds and I've been using flats for the last year. On the flip side my fingers are suffering.

I was all set to spend some money on and expensive Jazz might hold off now and see which I prefer in a month or so.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1374273239' post='2147206']
It sat in the mix really nicely. Growled when it needed to and sounded great on most songs.
[/quote]

That's exactly what a good Precision does. On it's own you wonder what the fuss is about. But in a live mix it sits perfectly, and suits pretty much anything.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1374275826' post='2147234']
That's exactly what a good Precision does. On it's own you wonder what the fuss is about. But in a live mix it sits perfectly, and suits pretty much anything.
[/quote]

Yep, sums it up about right. I love the sound of Jazzes, Stingrays & all kinds of more exotic sounding basses on their own, but in the mix, for me, nothing gets it as right as a trusty Precision.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1374322866' post='2147545']
I'm rethinking wether to put flats on it now ?

Tone was good last night, would flats drop it out of the mix instead of the presence I had last night ?
[/quote]

You will lose "presence" with flats, if your definition of presence is that high end sparkle and brightness that the word is often used to describe.
That does not necessarily mean that you will be less present in the mix though. It all depends what tones you are looking for in a whole band context.
Flats are not for me, but I know many swear by them.

Edited by hamfist

I've never been as happy with my sound as I am now with my '78 P. I really love flatwound strings but I'm still using roundwounds on mine, I'm finding that as a life long Jazz bass player, I don't feel too much like I'm compromising the punch and articulation that you get with a jazz bass with just a minor alteration of where I play on my P bass, just a little behind the pickup closer to the bridge.

The two instruments don't sound the same but I'm much happier with the fuller bodied sound that a P bass affords. That being said I'm picking up my friend's '72 Jazz today on a long term loan basis, it will be nice to have a Jazz back in the fold!

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1374322866' post='2147545']
I'm rethinking wether to put flats on it now ?

Tone was good last night, would flats drop it out of the mix instead of the presence I had last night ?
[/quote]

I think it's becoming a bit of a misconception amongst some bass players that using flatwound strings on a P-Bass is somehow mandatory. I love the sound of flats on a P but often when I've only got one bass on stage with me and I've got to cover a lot of ground then roundwound strings on a P-Bass offer the best of everything. Solid and punchy without compromising bottom end.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1374324122' post='2147568']
I think what you really mean is "Buy another P and have flats on one and rounds on the other" ;)
[/quote]

That's what I do anyway, and it's a great shout. I keep my P with flats in our studio for the most part. My band far prefer the sound of flats on a P-Bass but I can never be arsed hauling two basses to gigs and swapping/changing from song to song, I get a decent palm-mute 'faux flatwound' sound with rounds. IME you can't cop a roundwound sound from a flatwound string nearly as easy.

I played my first Precision in anger about 5 years ago. It was a mucked about with Squier with a Badass II and a SD Quarter Pounder. I don't even remember what it sounded like, apart from "like a bass". Five years later, it's a Cabronita Precision. I just can't get down with a vanilla Precision ;)

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1374323937' post='2147562']
I think it's becoming a bit of a misconception amongst some bass players that using flatwound strings on a P-Bass is somehow mandatory. I love the sound of flats on a P but often when I've only got one bass on stage with me and I've got to cover a lot of ground then roundwound strings on a P-Bass offer the best of everything. Solid and punchy without compromising bottom end.
[/quote]

Just a specific subcategory of the misconception amongst some bass players that playing a P-Bass is somehow mandatory? ;)

I recently bought a used - and very, very cheap - Korean Squier P off ebay and it's blown me away. I wanted to try another P (I've owned 1 and used several in the distant past) without spending too much because of my forearm contour issues, but for some reason this doesn't bother me unless I spend a long time playing fingerstyle (unlike a Jazz, which is agony); I usually play with a plectrum anyway. It's got meat, potatoes AND gravy. Although being veggie maybe I should use a different analogy. :lol:

Seriously, I love it. It's everything I can never get a Jazz to be and quite frankly sits in the band better than 99% of the boutiques I've had, many of which have cost between 10 and twenty times as much.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1374343525' post='2147897']
Just a specific subcategory of the misconception amongst some bass players that playing a P-Bass is somehow mandatory? ;)
[/quote]

When I play something that sounds better I'll let everyone on the board know :)

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1374300213' post='2147282']
You have seen the light. What you now need, of course, is to spend your notes on a top quality PJ, which gives you the absolute best of both P and J worlds.
[/quote]
Or build one yourself!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1374399232' post='2148261']

Or build one yourself!
[/quote]

I can't really find a P I love with nitro finish for reasonable money so this might be a possibility.

Fugazi Pino CS sort of thing maybe. Or burgundy mist! Mmmmm