Why become a member? ×

Logic Pro X

MiltyG565

A decent review here.
[url="http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/07/16/review-logic-pro-x/?utm_content=buffer582eb&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Buffer"]http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/07/16/review-logic-pro-x/?utm_content=buffer582eb&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Buffer[/url]

I'm with BRX and Garry on this... It's always best to learn how to use the tools you already have, squeeze every ounce of sound out of them (so to speak) and THEN go splashing out on plug-ins and upgrades once you know exactly what it is you really need.

As I've said before, the software I use, Reason, was a 'closed environment' until very recently. This meant I only had its built-in tools at my disposal... and consequently I got to understand them well. It also helped me to learn about sound synthesis and signal chains, as I couldn't just buy a plug-in if I wanted a particular sound - I had to learn how to create it from scratch with what I had available.

This experience proved invaluable in helping me better understand the ins and outs of music production.

Reason has since opened its doors to 3rd party plug-ins, and I've since spent money snapping up plenty of them... ;) But it's been money well spent, because I have a good understanding of what I'm looking for.

Milty: my advice would be to take your time and not try to 'jump the gun' :) There is a technical side to music production that can only be learned through practice - there's no shortcut - and I'm still very much learning myself! Gradually, the techy stuff starts to become second nature, which leaves room for more creativity and 'fun' in general. But it doesn't happen overnight.

Andy Barlow from Lamb once said that learning how to produce music is like learning a new language - it takes about the same amount of time to become 'fluent'.

So don't rush it and 'enjoy the journey', corny as that expression always is. Your recent mixes and compositions on Basschat are steadily improving each time, so just keep on plugging at it mate! Rather than plug-in at it!

Yeah, that's a terrible pun. I'll get me coat...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374056230' post='2144680']
Since recording began, fantastic sound records have been made with equipment that would have been considered low quality and primitive at the time let alone compared to modern studios. The great recordings with this so called primitive gear have all been done by people who knew every aspect of it and how to get the best out of it.
[/quote]

So true - and a really great song or composition performed by good musicians also helps. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1374082159' post='2145132']
I'm with BRX and Garry on this... It's always best to learn how to use the tools you already have, squeeze every ounce of sound out of them (so to speak) and THEN go splashing out on plug-ins and upgrades once you know exactly what it is you really need.

As I've said before, the software I use, Reason, was a 'closed environment' until very recently. This meant I only had its built-in tools at my disposal... and consequently I got to understand them well. It also helped me to learn about sound synthesis and signal chains, as I couldn't just buy a plug-in if I wanted a particular sound - I had to learn how to create it from scratch with what I had available.

This experience proved invaluable in helping me better understand the ins and outs of music production.

Reason has since opened its doors to 3rd party plug-ins, and I've since spent money snapping up plenty of them... ;) But it's been money well spent, because I have a good understanding of what I'm looking for.

Milty: my advice would be to take your time and not try to 'jump the gun' :) There is a technical side to music production that can only be learned through practice - there's no shortcut - and I'm still very much learning myself! Gradually, the techy stuff starts to become second nature, which leaves room for more creativity and 'fun' in general. But it doesn't happen overnight.

Andy Barlow from Lamb once said that learning how to produce music is like learning a new language - it takes about the same amount of time to become 'fluent'.

So don't rush it and 'enjoy the journey', corny as that expression always is. Your recent mixes and compositions on Basschat are steadily improving each time, so just keep on plugging at it mate! Rather than plug-in at it!

Yeah, that's a terrible pun. I'll get me coat...
[/quote]

I understand what you mean, and believe me, a lot of my days now are being spent in Logic, but I was just wondering about the new version. Regardless of whether it's good or not, I'm not likely to buy it any time soon anyway.

What I would really like though is somebody to teach me how to do all the things I want to in Logic. Trying to figure it out myself or constantly looking for tutorials online is a tedious task.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374084858' post='2145178']
I understand what you mean, and believe me, a lot of my days now are being spent in Logic, but I was just wondering about the new version. Regardless of whether it's good or not, I'm not likely to buy it any time soon anyway.

What I would really like though is somebody to teach me how to do all the things I want to in Logic. Trying to figure it out myself or constantly looking for tutorials online is a tedious task.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

Sorry , I was being a bit facetious really.

after all you start a thread asking for opinions on a software upgrade , get loads of quality advice , give out plenty of encouraging feedback , and finish with a shoulder shrug to intimate that you can't be blessed with the learning process of what you already have !!

My advice , is don't upgrade , don't even think of adding anything else until you can use what you have got . Skol already told you that, you then told him you understood and in the next few words you showed that you missed the point totally :rolleyes: .

Learn to use what you have got , read the books and tutorials, the you tube tutorials make learning so easy it is untrue., BUT if you don't want to learn it, don't. but you wont learn anything if you don't listen to those that are trying to help you, the first lesson in this discipline is learning to listen ;)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1374097336' post='2145329']
Sorry , I was being a bit facetious really.

after all you start a thread asking for opinions on a software upgrade , get loads of quality advice , give out plenty of encouraging feedback , and finish with a shoulder shrug to intimate that you can't be blessed with the learning process of what you already have !!
[/quote]

Because I want a teacher who knows this stuff already? I can be bothered with learning, but you try looking up a tutorial for everything you want to do and tell me that it isn't tedious.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1374097336' post='2145329']
My advice , is don't upgrade , don't even think of adding anything else until you can use what you have got . Skol already told you that, you then told him you understood and in the next few words you showed that you missed the point totally :rolleyes: .

Learn to use what you have got , read the books and tutorials, the you tube tutorials make learning so easy it is untrue., BUT if you don't want to learn it, don't. but you wont learn anything if you don't listen to those that are trying to help you, the first lesson in this discipline is learning to listen ;)
[/quote]

Mate, you called me patronising the other day. I know how to listen. Skol and I have talked about stuff like this before, and I respect his advice. I respect anybody's advice, because I'm a complete novice. Don't think that because I write that I was considering buying the latest version IF it was good enough to warrant it and being told to work with what I have that I haven't heeded to advice - I have.

we will agree to differ on this , but I find the learning process a big part of the fun , investigating and pinning something down is what makes it stick , its what helps you to understand the topic and how everything comes together , you do it your way , but in answer to your question ...

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374097748' post='2145338']
...............you try looking up a tutorial for everything you want to do and tell me that it isn't tedious.

[/quote]

......I think you'll find I already answered that in the next bit of my post that you quoted just after you asked the question !!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374097748' post='2145338']

Mate, you called me patronising the other day. [/quote]

Irony :huh:

This Logic Pro X seems a very underwhelming update I have to say, although I'm going on reviews and previews so I'll reserve proper judgement. Seems highly cosmetic for the most part, and the most crazy thing is it will not run on any system below 10.8.4 which was released a few weeks ago! Are Apple for real?!

Most instruments seem to have remained the same, a few add ons. Some things like the arrpegiator are very welcome, but really these should have been there ages ago and are standard in other apps.

it certainly doesn't seem to be a re-write like Final Cut X was (which caused massive uproar). I'm wondering if they abandoned making Logic X a re-write for fear of losing their core user base.

I have to disagree with some posts above, lots of the Logic instruments and plugins are very good and hold their own against lots of 3rd party plugs. But for highly realistic instruments then definitely the high end strings, drums etc 3rd party stuff will be better. Trouble with lots of Logic's instruments are their terrible GUIs, eg Ultrabeat, EXS24 etc.

to the OP I would say make sure your version 9 is upgraded to the latest version and stick with that.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1374099102' post='2145364']
Irony :huh:
[/quote]

My point is you called me patronising and then you write something like that. But I'm not going to get into an argument about who's more patronising.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1374099102' post='2145364']
we will agree to differ on this , but I find the learning process a big part of the fun , investigating and pinning something down is what makes it stick , its what helps you to understand the topic and how everything comes together , you do it your way , but in answer to your question ...
[/quote]

Yeah, of course it is. I could spend all day fiddling with Logic, and finding stuff out, but when it comes to the mix comp, you can't find out everything you need to by fiddling about, and frankly, I doubt that I ever would learn all I need to by doing that. Tutorials are great, but sometimes finding that one that I need can be difficult. I've seen 18 minute long tutorials and all I was looking for was how to time stretch a piece of audio, something which I now know is very simple, and does not take 18 minutes to explain, unless you stop to make a cup of tea during the explanation. That's where the tedium is, not with the actually learning or using the software.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1374100199' post='2145381']
This Logic Pro X seems a very underwhelming update I have to say, although I'm going on reviews and previews so I'll reserve proper judgement. Seems highly cosmetic for the most part, and the most crazy thing is it will not run on any system below 10.8.4 which was released a few weeks ago! Are Apple for real?!

Most instruments seem to have remained the same, a few add ons. Some things like the arrpegiator are very welcome, but really these should have been there ages ago and are standard in other apps.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I thought! When I read that they had added an arpeggiator, I thought "Big deal? The midi keyboard I bought for £40 even has an arpeggiator.". I think the new bass amp and drum kits look good though. The drum kit looks like EZ drummer, I think, from what I have seen of both of them, and I know that's a well respected plugin.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374102850' post='2145419']...you can't find out everything you need to by fiddling about, and frankly, I doubt that I ever would learn all I need to by doing that...[/quote]

Fiddling about is the only way to do it. I've been fiddling with my DAW for six years now (fnarr).
It's like life... the more you learn, the more you realise you can't possibly know everything! :D

Edited by discreet

All things [b]Logic.[/b]
[url="http://www.serious-sounds.net/music-production/community/forum/14-logic/"]http://www.serious-s...forum/14-logic/[/url]

Production.
[url="http://www.serious-sounds.net/"]http://www.serious-sounds.net/[/url]

Regarding the OP.

The Logic remote [iPad] seems to be very cool..
[url="http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic-pro-106-logic-remote"]http://www.macprovid...06-logic-remote[/url]

Some taster Videos on Pro X.
[url="http://www.macprovideo.com/logic?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed"]http://www.macprovid...m_campaign=Feed[/url]

£140.00 seems like a fair deal to me.

a useful feature of Logic X is that you can turn off advanced features to varying degrees, so it can be set to be almost exactly like Garageband if you want (apparently).
if you're coming from Garageband this would be very helpful, as one of the problems with Logic as a new user is that it is SO dense and tricky to get going.
even for a pro user it might be quite useful as i think you can 'turn off' features like surround sound.

The only thing that's interesting to me is the Flex Audio...and the hope that nothing has been dumbed down for the sake of that "Let's Make Music Now!!" ethos which seems to infect a lot of Apple and other DAW apps. (And before anyone jumps on me ;) - I tutor HE students in Logic & Pro Tools and it's not a good thing to hide advanced but common audio engineering tools under sub-menus!).
I've been using Logic since V5 and apart from a few gripes V9 is pretty much there already..but upgrades are like death and taxes - inevitable.
The pricing is very fair, which the new version of Pro Tools is not (but don't get me started on Avid). It's also only a 64 bit app now, so I'm not sure how favourite 32 bit plug-ins will work - still the bit bridge? The new virtual drummer -for me -meh..but I can see how it slots in between Ultrabeat and 3rd party things like Session Drummer and EZ-Drummer.
A hesitant thumbs up..maybe, but I'll have to upgrade my OS to try it out.

[quote name='MisterFingers' timestamp='1374135838' post='2145579']
I've been using Logic since V5 and apart from a few gripes V9 is pretty much there already..but upgrades are like death and taxes - inevitable.
[/quote]

But unlike death and taxes, you don't have to upgrade if you don't need or want to. The recordings I'm making now with Logic 9 are only better than the ones I made with Logic 4 because I have 10 years more experience. I'm less likely to have to use tricks to save on processing power and hard disk bottlenecks, but that's down to improvements in the hardware and little to do with the software.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374137243' post='2145600']The recordings I'm making now with Logic 9 are only better than the ones I made with Logic 4 because I have 10 years more experience.[/quote]

This. I'm still using FL Studio 7... upgrades to FL Studio 11 are available, but it's mainly bells and whistles that I don't really need.
If it ain't broke don't fix it, is my motto. Everything works as I want it to, so I'm happy.
[size=4]I'm not going to waste time on 'upgrade fever'. Life's too short. :)[/size]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374137243' post='2145600']
But unlike death and taxes, you don't have to upgrade if you don't need or want to. The recordings I'm making now with Logic 9 are only better than the ones I made with Logic 4 because I have 10 years more experience. I'm less likely to have to use tricks to save on processing power and hard disk bottlenecks, but that's down to improvements in the hardware and little to do with the software.
[/quote]

Absolutely...until you have to upgrade because you want some increased functionality or plug-in that you can't install on your set-up, or your files become incompatible with other systems. I had a recording session at a mate's at the weekend and he's still using Logic 5 on Win XP - absolutely no issues and of course I can seamlessly open the song on LP9 on the Mac to correct our er...'interesting' chops. (although my awful fretless intonation is a challenge to fix in the mix).
To be honest I really detest the whole upgrade culture that we have - phones, cars, furniture etc. Basses are (natch) different though. :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374018707' post='2144405']
Oh, you can control Logic with an iPad now, which is cool.

It's unnecessary, but it's cool.
[/quote]

You could already in 9 matey :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374141179' post='2145659']

Shows how little I know... :D
[/quote]
Hi Milty I guess the newer version is essentially the same as the 9 with some tricky bits added to keep it current. I do t think you should change.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1374142405' post='2145677']
Hi Milty I guess the newer version is essentially the same as the 9 with some tricky bits added to keep it current. I do t think you should change.
[/quote]

This was my initial thoughts on it. Thanks :)