Why become a member? ×

Logic Pro X

MiltyG565

So I've just seen the latest version of Logic has been released, and it looks very swish.

What I want to know is, will updating to it make my mixes, and especially my midi instruments, sound any better? Does it, say, have features in it which actually allow a guitar to sound like a guitar?

It is £140, which I suppose is reasonable, but I have only had Logic 9 since January, and I paid £140 for it then, although admittedly, using all the iTunes vouchers that I had saved up from Christmas and my birthday.

Anybody know much about this? I've had a bit of a flick through, but with my inexperience, I find it hard to tell whether it's actually better, or just more glitzy or user friendly.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1374013537' post='2144342']
Surely the upgrade is free.
[/quote]

mmmmnope.

You have heard of Apple before, right? :D :P

I think they don't see it as an upgrade, more of a system overhaul, which is what I want to know - Is it really worth paying an extra £140 for it? Is there really that much difference between it and 9? It certainly looks different, it looks nicer, but I'm not paying £140 for "looks nicer".

Just had a look through the description on apple.com and there's loads of new stuff. Flex pitch looks incredible (although hard to know for sure until you use it; I've never really got to grips with flextime). The new drum samples sound a big step up, and the bass amp modeller looks improved too. Looks like a very different set up to 9, but they seem to have made it more intuitive. Can't help thinking its going to eat up RAM, but it'll be fine when I've saved up for the new Mac Pro as well (!)

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1374017941' post='2144393']
Just had a look through the description on apple.com and there's loads of new stuff. Flex pitch looks incredible (although hard to know for sure until you use it; I've never really got to grips with flextime). The new drum samples sound a big step up, and the bass amp modeller looks improved too. Looks like a very different set up to 9, but they seem to have made it more intuitive. Can't help thinking its going to eat up RAM, but it'll be fine when I've saved up for the new Mac Pro as well (!)
[/quote]

I thought that, but I don't have much use for a pitch corrector. I'll not be having many vocals recorded, and when I do, if there's a slip up, there's a slip up. I'll either record it again, or leave it in. (Or tell everyone that's what I do ... :mellow: )

Eating the RAM is a good point. I got this with 8GB, and have a few games, and Logic on it. Don't know what it will run like with Logic Pro 10 on it.

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]The new update/version looks good, there has also been a lot of work under the hood with bug fixes.
Flex Pitch looks great, and about time. Apart from re-pitching and harmonizing,
you can extract the Midi info which is great for replacing parts.

iPad control is very useful, like a second monitor...Using the iPAD to control the mixer and FX parameters
touch screen style is easier than messing around with the mouse - a ton of other cool/easier things can be had using the iPad,
It's like having a second Midi controller.[/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#464646]Track folders and easy rearrangement of aux tracks in the mixer, another welcome, although well over due.[/color][/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]A few more Midi plug ins as well [and you can chain them together][/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]GUI looks fresher, but all these DAW's are starting to look the same.. :D
[size=4]Looks like a good Update to me.[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][size=4]EDIT: A little tutorial has appeared..[/size][/font]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYba6E7Oeu0

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

I think the logic x will be good but... as i found with logic 9 if you want GOOD sounds / mixing tools you have to spend money on third party software such as WAVES plugins / native instruments / some independent synthesizers etc as the plugins provided in logic sound quality wise are poor. Unless this changes with Logic x the only real difference between logic 9 and X will be the extra little bangs and whistles such as the Flex pitch.

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374052945' post='2144615']
I think the logic x will be good but... as i found with logic 9 if you want GOOD sounds / mixing tools you have to spend money on third party software such as WAVES plugins / native instruments / some independent synthesizers etc as the plugins provided in logic sound quality wise are poor. Unless this changes with Logic x the only real difference between logic 9 and X will be the extra little bangs and whistles such as the Flex pitch.
[/quote]

That's what I think too. Space designer I think is a good reverb tool, but all the rest just sound... processed, and it's pretty much the same with everything else, unfortunately.

A good engineer will be able to make the best use out of the tools available. Sure 3rd party plugins might sound "better" (which is entirely subjective anyway), but an in-depth understanding of how the bundled plugins in Logic work will help you to make more informed decisions about which 3rd party plugins might suit you. Ultimately they aren't really "better" just different.

Technically better doesn't automatically mean musically better. Since recording began, fantastic sound records have been made with equipment that would have been considered low quality and primitive at the time let alone compared to modern studios. The great recordings with this so called primitive gear have all been done by people who knew every aspect of it and how to get the best out of it.

IMO there is no substitute for knowing inside out the tools that you already have, and then using your ears to make great sounding recordings.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374056230' post='2144680']
A good engineer will be able to make the best use out of the tools available. Sure 3rd party plugins might sound "better" (which is entirely subjective anyway), but an in-depth understanding of how the bundled plugins in Logic work will help you to make more informed decisions about which 3rd party plugins might suit you. Ultimately they aren't really "better" just different.

Technically better doesn't automatically mean musically better. Since recording began, fantastic sound records have been made with equipment that would have been considered low quality and primitive at the time let alone compared to modern studios. The great recordings with this so called primitive gear have all been done by people who knew every aspect of it and how to get the best out of it.

IMO there is no substitute for knowing inside out the tools that you already have, and then using your ears to make great sounding recordings.
[/quote]

Of course, but I am in no way an expert on any of this, and I'm not likely to be one any time soon.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374055164' post='2144663']
That's what I think too. Space designer I think is a good reverb tool, but all the rest just sound... processed, and it's pretty much the same with everything else, unfortunately.
[/quote]

The new visual design is very nice though ^_^ and we might be in for surprise though as on the apple website it does say logic pro x builds on all previous plug inns and a completely rebuilt sound library. So its possible they will be good quality now, but i still don't expect them to compete with the likes of East West's Hollywood strings - have you heard it? sounds amazing! costs ££££'s but if you got the money the quality of sound that can be reproduced using plugins and digital effects now is impressive to say the least.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374056484' post='2144686']
Of course, but I am in no way an expert on any of this, and I'm not likely to be one any time soon.
[/quote]

Which is why IMO you should concentrate on learning how to get the best out of the tools you already have, rather than expecting a software upgrade to magically make your recordings sound better.

Think about all those awesome sounding 50s and 60s recordings that were done on very limited equipment. That was all down to people with great ears knowing exactly how to get what they had at their disposable to work for them.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374056484' post='2144686']

[/quote]
LOL :D
You crack me up.
Ill bet if you write to apple telling them of your disappointment at finding out there is a new version out only months after purchasing your app, plus add in a few details of your recent past under the surgeons knife they would be more than happy to sort you out with the latest version. I'm very familiar with apple and their products and always found them very helpful. Also inform them of how long you had waited to buy this app because you were saving up your coupons/vouchers. Give it a go. Start a new topic and let us know how you get on. You have the time.......

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374056825' post='2144695']
but i still don't expect them to compete with the likes of East West's Hollywood strings - have you heard it? sounds amazing! costs ££££'s but if you got the money the quality of sound that can be reproduced using plugins and digital effects now is impressive to say the least.
[/quote]

Indeed along with Project Sam, Spitfire, Vienna etc, all have different textures for different situations.
But as BigRedX has said - You still need to know what you are doing. I am afraid there is no easy way out.

This guy know's what he is doing in Logic [along with many, many others of course]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjcdgU4la-c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjcdgU4la-c[/url]

Garry

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374056918' post='2144698']
Which is why IMO you should concentrate on learning how to get the best out of the tools you already have, rather than expecting a software upgrade to magically make your recordings sound better.
[/quote]

I don't think it will magically make my mixes sound better, I wanted to know if it was better. If the midi instruments are better, and if it's more user friendly, not if it just magically makes my music better.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1374057145' post='2144702']
LOL :D
You crack me up.
Ill bet if you write to apple telling them of your disappointment at finding out there is a new version out only months after purchasing your app, plus add in a few details of your recent past under the surgeons knife they would be more than happy to sort you out with the latest version. I'm very familiar with apple and their products and always found them very helpful. Also inform them of how long you had waited to buy this app because you were saving up your coupons/vouchers. Give it a go. Start a new topic and let us know how you get on. You have the time.......
[/quote]

Haha, I doubt that would actually work. Good thought though :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374059386' post='2144743']
I don't think it will magically make my mixes sound better, I wanted to know if it was better. If the midi instruments are better, and if it's more user friendly, not if it just magically makes my music better.
[/quote]

By what I've seen in the last 24 hours some of the instruments are different some are the same. Whether that makes then better or not is entirely subjective. And user friendliness is to a certain extent down to familiarity. I still miss Logic 4, not because it is a technically better application (it most certainly isn't) but because I was far more familiar with how it worked and I still haven't reached that position with Logic 9.

You know pretty much any application that reaches version 9 is not going to include significant improvements over previous versions because there is little left to improve. Any changes that get made are likely the frustrate as many existing users as they please. You can't please all your users all of the time. Things like Flex Pitch look interesting, but unless you have an existing need for them then really they are of little consequence.

My advice to anyone looking to upgrade their software in anything is always don't do it, unless there is something you know for sure that will make your workflow or creativity easier, or because you have to share projects with someone using a later version.

From your previous posts on the subject it appears to me that you still have a long way to go to get the best out of Logic 9. Upgrading will mean one step forward and two steps back.