Why become a member? ×

Before a Bass is "Reliced"...What is it?

Lowender

Real quick -- a comparison view on reliced basses.

In my flat, I have a brick wall. I like that look. But the brick isn't actually in the wall. I brought a brick wall from a movie set -- which looks fine on camera but close up it's a little too "perfect." So I "reliced" it. Added some morter in between the rocks. Scuffed and chipped a few. Put a little stain here and there. A random smudge. Now, if you walked right up to it, you would not know it wasn't a real brick wall.

Am I being deceptive? Am I trying to fool people? No, I would gladly tell anyone what I did. I just like that rustic look.

That's the way I see reliced basses. If you like that look, you're entitled to have it.

BUT...

Whereas I see one as an art project, I see a pre -reliced bass off of an assembly line that looks like a thousand others is kinda lame. (Sorry).

So I was wondering -- what model bass do they start with before the "relic?" It's not a MIA, that's for sure. And are we expected to pay for the scratches?

I guess my point is -- if there's an additional cost to a road worn bass, why not just start out with what they start out with? Do the antiquing yourself, save some money and have your bass more personalized. It just seems to make sense.

Does anyone know?

Edited by Lowender

It comes down to artistic skill, and willingness. I'm sure I would struggle to get a wall as yours to look as good as you seem to have. Unless you have the right aptitude for it DIY relicing a bass it will look awful. A guy at work brought two in that he had done himself. Only wanted £50 each, for perfectly good basses, but I wouldn't buy one as they looked exactly what they were, a good bass attacked with a sander, scourer and, it would seem, a hammer :huh:

Not sure about the wall but you could always buy an old shed and sit in that. Very rustic is an old shed.

As for the current fashion of relic'd basses i've never understood it. A light relic although i still don't like them i can understand but most look awful because they are ludicrously over done and have little in common with a naturally worn and used bass or guitar looks like.

I think i'd cry if i saw a custom shop guitar in all it's beautiful polished glory attacked by a sander.

I get the impression that a lot of relic'd instruments end up in the hands of people who know full well they aren't going to either live long enough or gig the instrument long enough to naturally produce the amount of wear that is being artificially produced if they bought one unblemished from the start.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1373462449' post='2137847']
It comes down to artistic skill, and willingness.
[/quote]

No. No, it doesn't. It really, really doesn't.

A well-made musical instrument is a work of art, and that calls for artistic skill.

A deliberately damaged musical instrument is an aberration, a passing fad which will one day be viewed with contempt and amusement.

If there is one thing it does NOT require, it's artistic skill.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1373463368' post='2137875']
No. No, it doesn't. It really, really doesn't.

A well-made musical instrument is a work of art, and that calls for artistic skill.

A deliberately damaged musical instrument is an aberration, a passing fad which will one day be viewed with contempt and amusement.

If there is one thing it does NOT require, it's artistic skill.
[/quote]
That's a really interesting point.

As fashions are ever changing i wonder if there will be a day in a years to come when guitar and bass buyers will be searching for an instrument that has not been relic'd and the prices for relic'd instruments will fall accordingly with demand.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1373463813' post='2137889']
... i wonder if there will be a day in a years to come when guitar and bass buyers will be searching for an instrument that has not been relic'd ...
[/quote]

Been doing that for years mate!

Edited by Happy Jack

My 1978 Precision was pretty immaculate when I got it in 1999. It still looks good now but the finish is starting to flake away on the neck. Surprisingly there are no marks that look like the bass was attacked by a belt sander, mainly because the bass has not been attacked by a belt sander.

But you can't by a new one and play it for 40 years to get the relic look because of the horrible (IMHO) poly finishes. You only have a small amount of choice for nitro finished Fenders and the Road Worns are some of the more reasonable ones.

Do me a nitro jazz in 60's custom colour with matching headstock (and stack knobs would be nice) for £600 s/h and I'd be all over it.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1373465375' post='2137930']
My 1978 Precision was pretty immaculate when I got it in 1999. It still looks good now but the finish is starting to flake away on the neck. Surprisingly there are no marks that look like the bass was attacked by a belt sander, mainly because the bass has not been attacked by a belt sander.
[/quote]

My first 1978 Precision WAS immaculate when I bought it in 1980. And other than a few dings and a patch where my wrist has worn through the topcoat exposing undercoat, it looks nothing like any of these relic'd things.(It's the one in the profile pic)

Edited by Spike Vincent

What actually constitutes relicing? As another post mentions the horrible poly finishes applied these days are never going to age gracefully in to a lovely 50's Precision....I have flatted the shine off my classic vibe precision because I disliked the overly shiny finish, I think it looks far better for it and if someone so desired it could easily be polished back up to it's former "glory"

So have I committed the cardinal sin and reliced a bass or have I just made it look more like I wanted it to?

I see it as horses for courses. Personally I'd let an instrument get natural wear over the years, but I can see the appeal of one that looks "vintage" or "relic'd" or "roadworn". It just seems ridiculous to pay extra for someone to do that to an instrument.

How many professional, touring musicians do you see with instruments that have acquired their patina in a way other than years of hard graft and "abuse"?

As for buying the road worn as opposed to doing it yourself, yes, there certainly is an artistic element. There's a difference between one that looks antique and one that looks like it was scratched on purpose.

I guess I see it like a tattoo. If I could give one to myself one that'd be fine, but I don't want to walk around with someone else's artwork on me.

And nobody seems to know the answer to the question -- what is the model they start with?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1373462717' post='2137856']
Before it's been relic'd it's probably a nice looking bass. After it's been relic'd it's a bass in need of a refinish and should be priced accordingly to account for the extra money that needs to be spent to make it look good again.
[/quote]

100% true fact. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you want a 'reliced' instrument all you need to do is to buy one and gig like a bastard for 30 years. Job done.

As has been said already a battered bass with a poly finish looks pretty terrible, has to be a nitro for starters. An old nitro finish will be covered in tiny cracks so relic'd attempts almost always look wrong with the possible exception of Bravewood and Clive Brown refinishes.

The best thing about the Roadworn series is that they round off the edges of the fingerboard which gives a played in feel. However this is easy to replicate with some care on a new bass without making it look scruffy.

The only time I've relic'd anything is the new scratchplate on my old MIJ jazz, it didn't have one for 20 years and a shiny new one looked odd on a scruffy bass. So I took the shine off in the same places that have wear on my 70s Jazzes and it looks like it belongs to the bass. But it wouldn't fool anyone into thinking it was ancient.

Biggest problem with a relic'd bass is you're giving the impression you've put the same number of hours in as someone like Jaco, Stanley Clarke or Billy Sheehan with their battered instruments.... you'd better be a good player! ;) :lol:

Edited by Fat Rich

apart from Bravewood... and maybe Wes Steed's Herbie Hancock bass he made they don't look real do they? Up close Nash's look awful IMO.
I don't mind it though but would much much rather buy some idiocentric secondhand bass where all the dings tell a story. I like well played basses me, I've bought a few basses off here and then sold them quite quickly as I feel too precious about a almost imaculate finish.
I have a JV squier that lives in a case in a cupboard whereas my jazz and wick get played loads cos they're already well played enough to not have to worry about a finish too much. The Warwick has 22 years of play polishing the wood whereas the Jazz I finished myself so it's not perfect.