Why become a member? ×

G+L basses

fezzza

Used US G&L can be very cheap compared with MMs or Fenders and are much more versatile. I´ve got G&L L2000 and I wouldn´t let it go. As Cameltoe mentioned that it didn´t blow him away, I was totaly blown away when I first tried that bass.
It has very rich and hot tone...and very...really VERY powerful output signal.
That bass amazed me so much that my Bongo was pushed to second row alike as my Custom Shop Warwick...yes...these are totally diferent instruments, but both are twice a price of used G&L and they aren´t twice better. Now I think of buying myself L2500...the only obstacle is, that I´m pretty into Dingwall basses and that seems to be my priority.

Edited by Stejohn

I have an Asat, love it to bits, plays the pants of any other bass I have ever used. I may not be to far from you, you would be very welcome to come and have a test drive no problem. I have my Asat, Markbass R500 head plus M/B 1x15 and 2x10 cabs have a go on the lot.

Ta very glad
BIGd

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1374069892' post='2144952']
The pickups ate the SAME in both US and Tribute models. All US made. To say they're "half decent" in the Tribute is just plain wrong.
[/quote]

I did have to change the pots on my old GL2000 tribute as although the pickups were US the rest of the electrics were crappy korean made. The now defunct east coast music where i bought it changed them to us mighty mite ones for me foc.

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1374263068' post='2147074']
I did have to change the pots on my old GL2000 tribute as although the pickups were US the rest of the electrics were crappy korean made. The now defunct east coast music where i bought it changed them to us mighty mite ones for me foc.
[/quote]

Really? What was wrong with the pots that were on it originally? Not trying to pick a fight - genuinely interested in the reasons why, as mine are fine so far, touch wood.

The only pot I've ever had to change on a G&L was on a US made El Toro. Track was bust - worked from 100% bass to about 90% then zero bass. Of course it was the 1Meg reverse log. Go figure.

Just after I bought it new a couple of them, I can't remember which ones, started crackling even after switch cleaner.
Other than that It was a great bass. They did have someone else with a similar problem ordered from the distributor and changed them for me without question while I waited in the shop. Maybe it was a dodgy batch.

• 1 month later...

Here is a song that came out of our basement studio that features our beloved G&L ASAT bass played through a Fender Hot Rod Deville 2/12 guitar amp, which was mic'ed for the recording. I know this sort of tone is not popular with all bassists, but for those who like bass distortion and bass chords, I thought it worked surprisingly well. I thought I would share for others out there that are curious about this bass. The sound was very solid and required almost no compression or EQ to sit in the mix. Another reason to love the G&L! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdDAGB9cME"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdDAGB9cME[/url]

I've just got myself an American SB2 and the pickups are phenomenal, a JJ using 2 MFDs would sound massive - best sounding bridge pickup I've heard on my SB2.

Having spent some time in Bass Direct and GAK recently, the only pickups I've come across in the same league are Mike Lull's Thunderbuckers, maybe Lindy Fralins too.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1379237971' post='2210041']
I'm considering the single coil mod on my L-2000 just for extra versatility. It's here to stay so may as well get the most out of it.
[/quote]
Swap the 2 position series/parallel switch to a 3-way series/parallel/single coil?

Took me a while to get used to the neck. The m2000, does apparently have a slimmer neck but the US ones can have a number of different neck options, but not easy to come by.
AFAIK the prices are similar to the sterling by musicman (confusing name) but I don't keep track so might be wrong, they are very good too from the couple of times I've tried them.

On the l2000 though, very very powerful and versatile basses but it won't sound like a stingray. I had some dry joints after several years on my tribute but mine is from the Korean period but beyond those minor crackles no issues. Reacts quite different to different string, currently back using Thomastik Infeld super alloys which seem to complement better than anything else after trying a few out.

A student of mine has a M2000, sounds great, the bridge pickup in particular. The neck is very playable and I've been very impressed with the build quality too. Tributes have the same pickups but the cheaper electronics do affect the ultimate punch and strength tonally compared to the USA models to my ears. Second hand American examples are the bargain of the century, in fact, I never quite understand why people would want to sell theirs! My ASAT is an absolute rock, I use it for everything from Ceilidhs and Pit work to balls to the wall rock and roll. I only use two sounds, active always on, everything full up, bass boost on, just toggle between neck and both pickups. Why you don't see more people playing the L2/500 series in particular (I understand a tele body is not to everyones taste) is beyond me. That's right, I'm a dyed in the wool G&L fanboi!

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1379243589' post='2210135']

Yep. Got the wiring diagram, too technical for me but will help the guy who knows his thing.
[/quote]
Cool, might look at something similar myself, like the idea of having a single coil option, but don't want to loose the choice of series or parallel for the humbuckers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

hi ,iv,e got a m2000 in sunburst, thinking of selling it , its immaculate, , I play a Patrick eggle new York, which is small bodied , and the wife got me a m2ooo for my 50th, its a beast great sound but to big for me. any ideas of resale price .