Why become a member? ×

Tribute Bands - don't the active "original" band get miffed?

ben604

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1373306658' post='2135959']
I have a sneaking suspicion that some tribute bands might actually be better than the band they're imitating.
Perhaps not in the composition/writing sense, but in the live performance aspect.
[/quote]

That kind of depends on what you mean by 'better'. More technically proficient musicianship does not necessarily transform itself into a better performance/audience experience.

I've said all this on here before, usually to much righteous indignation, but anyway...

There are loads of bands I have liked down the years that I didn't get to see live for whatever reason, but I still don't have any desire to go and see a bunch of clones pretending to be them. I don't mind covers per se, especially if it's a good band who can do something INTERESTING with the material and play with some ENTHUSIASM, but to watch a slavish copy of band X's whole reportoire, right down to the minutiae of their look, stage show etc. etc..... no thanks.

As for playing in one, i can't imagine a more soul crushing and musically unrewarding experience. But that's just me I guess.

I've got an acquaintance who plays in Bjorn Again, and they were invited to play at Benny's ( or was it Bjorn's? ) birthday party.

I also heard a story about Mick Fleetwood turning up at a Fleetwood Mac tribute band gig and asking to play in the second half.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1373358701' post='2136526']
[b]My publishers, [/b]Equinox, have a release by Georgina Gregory called 'Send in the Clones: a cultural study of the tribute band.
[/quote]

Yeah, we see what you did there :lol: :P .

They turn Rock n Roll into Cabaret and should be ashamed of themselves. :yarr:

My publishers, Equinox, have a release by Georgina Gregory called 'Send in the Clones: a cultural study of the tribute band.
[/quote]

These vanity publishers, I expect they'll be lucky if they sell ten copies of that!

My publishers, Equinox, have a release by Georgina Gregory called 'Send in the Clones: a cultural study of the tribute band.
[/quote]
sometimes it must take some real effort to suck ALL the joy out of a room (yaar to you to, phewww...)

[/quote]

I once tried to turn Cabaret into RockNRoll

'Willkommen, Bienvenue, it's been a long time since I rocked and rolled, [i]Welcome!'[/i]

The punters liked it but the drummer thought it was a 'travesty'. Left the band, got depressed and threw himself under a 125.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1373393560' post='2137101']
I once tried to turn Cabaret into RockNRoll

'Willkommen, Bienvenue, it's been a long time since I rocked and rolled, [i]Welcome!'[/i]

The punters liked it but the drummer thought it was a 'travesty'. Left the band, got depressed and threw himself under a 125.
[/quote]

intercity or yamaha?

[quote name='Baxter' timestamp='1373489246' post='2138295']
i fancied starting one that played jimi hendrix songs in a scottish ceilidh style. to be called the Jimmy Shandrix Experience,,,,
[/quote]

Tis a scary tough that there are actually Jimmy Shand Tribute Bands!

IMHO opinion most of the acts that are tributed have degenerated into tribute bands (or parodies) anyway. Who goes to a Stones gig to hear anything post mid-seventies? Ditto The Who.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly: If a band uses session players to make recordings, then who's the real band anyway?
So, if a fan of the band has only ever bought recordings and never seen them live, haven't they've only ever heard the session player?

Secondly: [size=4][quote name='Adee' timestamp='1373356302' post='2136479'][/size]
One of the guys on here CETERA playes in a KISS tribute band Dressed to Kill and they have played for various members including Gene Simmons and even played with some ex members on stage !

If there was an issue you'd expect Gene Simmons to be at the front of the que with his hand out : )
[/quote]
When you come out of a "Dressed to Kill" gig, full of adrenalin and wanting to buy a recording, who does that money go to?
Isn't it possible that Kiss have earned more from Dressed to Kill than Cetera has?

Edited by Grangur

Not quite on topic, but I once read that Elvis entered an Elvis tribute acts competition at a bar owned by a relative, and came 8th.

I think we need to distinguish between a band that just plays a set of numbers by one particular band, which is a compliment, and a tribute act that parodies the original members by dressing up and wearing wigs etc ephasising certain traits, which would probably leave the original artist a bit miffed. theres
a fine line between paying tribute and taking the pissi sometimes. Cant help but think of Freddie Star and others Jagger impersonations.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1374491959' post='2149231']
I think that is a ripped and rewritten version of the true event of Charlie Chaplin entering a CC lookalike contest and finishing third.

8th is really poor though!
[/quote]
Would Elvis' ego have allowed him to walk amongst the common folk?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1374492554' post='2149239']
Would Elvis' ego have allowed him to walk amongst the common folk?
[/quote]

Dunno about ego, but an Elvis tribute night would have been perfect cover wouldnt it ? What I was getting at is that sometimes the lookalike, by emphasisng certain bits, will be more like the public perception of the artist than the artist is in real life.

Ozzy for example would sound normal in Brum, (almost) so impersonators invariably add a black country accent. although he does have an Aston accent, and hams that up a bit for the cameras, its very different.

Check this about the UB40 sax player Brian Travers playing in UB40 tribute bands... intresting
and i think he is great doing it, well done Brian.

[url="http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/413350/UB40-founding-member-joins-tribute-band-after-being-declared-bankrupt"]http://www.express.c...clared-bankrupt[/url]

Edited by funkgod