Why become a member? ×

July Composition Competition

charic

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1372883203' post='2131221']
Think I wanna participate for the first time. Do i recoord something on souncloud ,and post on here? Sorry if I sound naive ;)
[/quote]

thats how I read it, just post the soundcloud link and Charic assembles the list later in the month

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1372881861' post='2131189']
Just listened to Rob's and Dad's tracks, like them both, nice one guys :)
[/quote]

Thanks for checking mine out :)

What are you going for this month? any ideas yet? Still early days I know!

Rob

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372865292' post='2130896']
Here's mine. Read the description of it to understand it better :)

https://soundcloud.com/miltyg565/miltongrahambasschatbass
[/quote]
I like it Milty. No one has any lyrics in their pieces. Can there be lyrics? Are there rules? What's the deal? I have a chorus in my head for this picture.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372891817' post='2131437']
I like it Milty. No one has any lyrics in their pieces. Can there be lyrics? Are there rules? What's the deal? I have a chorus in my head for this picture.
[/quote]

Of course there can be lyrics! I just had no means of recording any lyrics, and I think it would really have detracted from the whole binary robotic theme if it had lyrics. Thanks for listening though :)

The rules are in the very first comment on this thread. Basically, compose a song based on what the picture makes you feel. Just be careful not to infringe on any copyrighted material :) It can be whatever you want it to be! That's the glory of it!

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372891817' post='2131437']
[/quote]

There can definitely be lyrics/vocals, it's just most of us can't sing so we tend to get more instrumentals, we had quite a few with vocals last month though.

Got an idea in motion, I'm getting my Aphex Twin on, dark glitchy electronic vibes going on, although I've been listening to a lot of Cardiacs today, so that might sneak in there a bit, which would be interesting.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372893963' post='2131473']
I might have a go then. Ill try and do it on my phone, that wAy I can do it at work.
[/quote]

What, like whistling into a Dictaphone..? An old trick, but it might just work... :mellow:

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1372892500' post='2131452']
There can definitely be lyrics/vocals, it's just most of us can't sing so we tend to get more instrumentals, we had quite a few with vocals last month though.

Got an idea in motion, I'm getting my Aphex Twin on, dark glitchy electronic vibes going on, although I've been listening to a lot of Cardiacs today, so that might sneak in there a bit, which would be interesting.
[/quote]

Mine is quite glitchy electronic type thing.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372882803' post='2131208']
Soo... you haven't listened to mine then? Right, I see how it is... :(
[/quote]
Sorry didn't see yours as I was scanning through, just had a listen I like it very laid back and techno industrial feel ish :) Goes with the picture well. You guys are really fast still had no ideas with this one yet :(

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372884444' post='2131250']
Thanks for checking mine out :)

What are you going for this month? any ideas yet? Still early days I know!

Rob
[/quote]
Brain dead at the moment Rob with this one but will have a pop in the next few days, I have been working on a song I wrote and got a bit obsessed, but its finished now, hopefully will get some ideas soon. Really liked the recording you did, sounds great :)

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1372896183' post='2131492']
Sorry didn't see yours as I was scanning through, just had a listen I like it very laid back and techno industrial feel ish :) Goes with the picture well. You guys are really fast still had no ideas with this one yet :(
[/quote]

Thanks :) Mine is nothing special. When you base it around a code, and assign a note to a zero, and a space to a 1, a consonant to an E and a vowel to an F, it's really quite simple. The other guys have had genuine musical ideas that they have created themselves. I've just followed a pattern, but I do think that's the whole point of mine. I like the other compositions too :)

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1372896415' post='2131493']
Brain dead at the moment Rob with this one but will have a pop in the next few days, I have been working on a song I wrote and got a bit obsessed, but its finished now, hopefully will get some ideas soon. Really liked the recording you did, sounds great :)
[/quote]

Plenty of time yet it's only the 4th!

Thanks for the comments on soundcloud too, I'm new to it all and its quite nice to have little comments on the track itself.

Rob

I have found a drum pattern that I will develop , and wrote some lyrics , which I liked, but then realised that as my effort is to be in a pop stylee , I really don't need an in depth delve into the personality of a city, portraying and comparing it with the emotions and psyche of a woman serving her needs in a cold, capitalistic and somehow strangely anonymous frame of mind, I need a more Boom Boom shag you soon , kind of flow . :blink:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1372931440' post='2131691']
...need a more Boom Boom shag you soon , kind of flow . :blink:
[/quote]

Hmm... Interesting. I wish [i]I'd[/i] thought more of targetting the BC audience, now. Too late, I suppose. Sigh... :mellow:

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1372958570' post='2132180']
here is my effort recorded this afternoon [url="https://soundcloud.com/stuartgeary/midnight-metropolis"]https://soundcloud.c...ight-metropolis[/url]
[/quote]

Nice effort there, I was expecting a whaling solo to come in at some point...

With your solo guitar and my solo bass we almost have a band :D

Rob