Why become a member? ×

July Composition Competition

charic

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372968852' post='2132343']
Call me Ishmael.
[/quote]

Is that how you spell whaling? it doesn't look quite right... I don't mean I expected him to appear sporting a harpoon and chest waders... :mellow:

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372969486' post='2132358']I don't mean I expected him to appear sporting a harpoon and chest waders... [/quote]

I was just joshing. You may have meant 'wailing'. Or maybe not. I prefer 'whaling' though - it's more fun. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372969963' post='2132365']
I was just joshing. You may have meant 'wailing'. Or maybe not. I prefer 'whaling' though - it's more fun. :)
[/quote]

Ah curse my rubbish spelling... I tried to find an image to illustrate playing bass in waders and google gave me this...

[media]http://www.womeninwaders.com/largewaders08.jpg[/media]

No great disaster....

The world takes all sorts I guess :blink:

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372970552' post='2132382']...to find an image to illustrate playing bass in waders and google gave me this...[/quote]

Seems I've not got the same 'Google' as you, then... :(

[attachment=138334:Bass_Wade.jpg]

New York. It's big, brash and loud. It's edgy. It's tribal. It's relentless. You can end up somewhere unexpected... and like it.
I hope I've captured at least some of these aspects in this short piece.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/mark-68-2/nyny"]https://soundcloud.com/mark-68-2/nyny[/url]

Mark :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1373038004' post='2133105']
I like New York. It's big, brash and loud. It's edgy. It's tribal. It's relentless. You can end up somewhere you didn't expect... and like it.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/mark-68-2/nyny"]https://soundcloud.com/mark-68-2/nyny[/url]

I thank you! :)
[/quote]

Fantastic, Mark! You have to tell me where you get all those sounds from! :D

I like New York. It's big, brash and loud. It's edgy. It's tribal. It's relentless. You can end up somewhere you didn't expect... and like it.

I thank you! :)
[/quote]

I agree.... Good stuff dude, and great sounds again.....Like it.

I might go down the classic 70's Studio 54 New York vibe route, bright lights and all that stuff.
Well Nile Rodgers seems to be the man of the moment.... :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1373039258' post='2133125']I might go down the classic 70's Studio 54 New York vibe route, bright lights and all that stuff.[/quote]

Right on. It'll be bitchin', dude. I'll dig it. Er... can't think of any more 70s slang. ;)
Look forward to it. :)

Edited by discreet

[/quote]

This is superb.

You should get a giant external button for all those filter sweeps... could pull some serious bass faces tweaking those.... great fun.

Rob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1373046499' post='2133244']You should get a giant external button for all those filter sweeps... could pull some serious bass faces tweaking those... great fun.[/quote]

Thanks, Rob. I actually do a lot of that in real time, record it - then place it in the track.
So I have in fact been gurning quite extensively. :crazy:[size=4] [/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1373046743' post='2133250']

Thanks, Rob. I actually do a lot of that in real time, record it - then place it in the track.
So I have in fact been gurning quite extensively. :crazy:[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]
Gulp...... Might not enter after hearing the quality of the current entries. How do I transfer the link to my song from sound cloud.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1373038004' post='2133105']...I hope I've captured at least some of these aspects in this short piece...
[/quote]

Hope fulfilled.Yet another good one. I should secretly wish you'd have balls it up this month, so as to have a better chance in the final voting, but my inherently good, British, sporting nature gets the better of me, so I wish you well.
I think... :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1373119355' post='2133918']Hope fulfilled.Yet another good one. I should secretly wish you'd have balls it up this month, so as to have a better chance in the final voting...[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Thanks Dad and don't worry - statistically it's bound to go all Pete Tong sooner or later. [/size] ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1373115952' post='2133872']

Gulp...... Might not enter after hearing the quality of the current entries. How do I transfer the link to my song from sound cloud.
[/quote]
Ignore this, I've worked out how to do it. I think. I was using the sound cloud app so there was no browser window etc etc...... I will enter my song in a couple of days once I get a chance to finish it at work. Is there a cutoff date? I've had a listen to the entries so far and they are a very hi standard. Well done entrants. I have a favourite already but I'm not saying yet.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1373132620' post='2134062']
Ignore this, I've worked out how to do it. I think. I was using the sound cloud app so there was no browser window etc etc...... I will enter my song in a couple of days once I get a chance to finish it at work. Is there a cutoff date? I've had a listen to the entries so far and they are a very hi standard. Well done entrants. I have a favourite already but I'm not saying yet.
[/quote]

You just paste the link in... that's what I did anyway :) Its usually end of the month for the deadline so ages to go yet... I just tend to do mine in a couple of hours and get it in early lest I get drunk and forget later on in the month....

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1373150688' post='2134243']
You just paste the link in... that's what I did anyway :) Its usually end of the month for the deadline so ages to go yet... I just tend to do mine in a couple of hours and get it in early lest I get drunk and forget later on in the month....

Rob
[/quote]

Same here. Mine was pretty simple given the limited concept that I had to work with, and I made it all in about 2 hours. I'm sure there are a lot of things I could have done better with it, but as one of my first attempts at creating a song using midi instruments, I think it's alright for 2 hours work.

Although if I needed to spend more time on it, I would have. But I often find that good ideas either come to me, or don't (usually they don't), so when I know what I'm aiming for, it could be done in 2 hours. If I hadn't a clue what I was trying to achieve, it could have taken days.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1372747367' post='2129315']
Well Skol (bear with me Mike ;) )did it again last week but this time not alone... no it wasn't a draw. It was actually a collaboration piece with urb and two other artists too!

Last month also saw the successful integration of a few more members and over 70 votes this time around!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]All the boring blurb out of the way but if you have any further questions about the T&C's feel free to message me [/font][/color] :)

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm hoping we can put together a cd once a year of the competition is through with all of the winners throughout the year on it. Voting will be carried out through poll...[/font][/color]

[b]Are you still here? Get composing![/b]
[/quote]

:hi:
Hello all. I'm new to all this.. so please be gentle with me? :P Here is my entry for the July Basschat Competition for your consideration..

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! :D

[url="https://soundcloud.com/simon-edward/downtown-bleecker"]https://soundcloud.c...wntown-bleecker[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[size=4][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]...[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]'Downtown Bleecker' is an instrumental piece recorded and arranged between 3-6 July 2013. It was inspired by a New York City Nightscape courtesy of Basschat.co.uk (composition competition for July 2013); and a visit to NYC with my Brother in March 2000. This track is dedicated to him, with much love.[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]...[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Credits:[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Simon D' souza: Alto Saxophone [/font][/color][url="http://www.souzamusic.co.uk/"]www.souzamusic.co.uk/[/url]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Reiner: Tenor Saxophone[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Simon Edward: Bass[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Made with:[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Jaydee Series II[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Trace Elliot GP12XV[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]BOSS OC-2, TC Corona Chorus, TC 2290 Delay[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Focusrite Saffire 6-USB[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]Software: Reaper V4 and NCH Wavepad[/font][/color]
[url="http://www.simon-edward.tumblr.com/"]www.simon-edward.tumblr.com/[/url]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]'Downtown Bleecker' contains Licensed samples :[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]'Thermal Rain' : by Marcus Hodges [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]freesound.org : various ambient sound effects.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by SimonEdward

the nest question though Milt , would be whether the work would benefit fron more attention, I haven't listened to any yet , I am busy pulling my hair out with my own effort , it is proving particularly hard considering the simpilicty of the idea by my daughter

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1373153860' post='2134266']
:hi:
Hello all. I'm new to all this.. so please be gentle with me?
[/quote]

What..? Are you serious..? I've been 'gentle' with no-one since... well, I can't remember that far back..! No way, Simon. In this deep lake, you sink or swim on your merits; no favours, gloves off, no holds barred. Just like New York, it's a jungle out there. Fight or flee, no prisoners taken, slash and burn... No, OK, that last one was a bit too 'naff'; ignore it.
Your track..? Blast, I was hoping you wouldn't ask. Good vibes, lad, good vibes. You're swimming, all right. :)
([i]I'll get back to my water wings, now. I'm damned cold and wet, though[/i]... :( )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1373159124' post='2134282']
What..? Are you serious..? I've been 'gentle' with no-one since... well, I can't remember that far back..! No way, Simon. In this deep lake, you sink or swim on your merits; no favours, gloves off, no holds barred. Just like New York, it's a jungle out there. Fight or flee, no prisoners taken, slash and burn... No, OK, that last one was a bit too 'naff'; ignore it.
Your track..? Blast, I was hoping you wouldn't ask. Good vibes, lad, good vibes. You're swimming, all right. :)
([i]I'll get back to my water wings, now. I'm damned cold and wet, though[/i]... :( )
[/quote]

Hello Dad! I'll consider myself right at home.. :D Thanks for taking the time to listen to me - and glad you liked the jazz/funk vibe - looking forward to hearing yours and all the other tracks too !! :) No pressure. Simon Edward.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/simon-edward/downtown-bleecker"]https://soundcloud.com/simon-edward/downtown-bleecker[/url]