Why become a member? ×

Gigging thefts or damage

flyfisher

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372530947' post='2126949']
We cant pick and choose to not play in shitholes because there aint that many places left up here that do live music. We used to play in a place that had a fight every night, luckily we were behind a little barrier type stage , so could look on bemused.
[/quote]

That's very sad but I have to say that I'd just give up gigging if those were the only venues available. Personal choice of course.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1372458590' post='2126129']
No problems of those types ever, if memory serves.
Then again, never played in a bar or other place with drunken people, and I gather that is an essential difference.

best,
bert
[/quote]where do you play then Bert?

[quote name='Junkyard Rocket' timestamp='1372506851' post='2126555']
I might have been worse if he was dressed as a Honey Badger

[/quote]

True - you don't want to mess with a honey badger. Mind you, the regular European type can be pretty growly if you surprise them in the woods

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1372594095' post='2127473']...can be pretty growly if you surprise them in the woods[/quote]

I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm pretty growly when surprised in the woods. Who can honestly say they haven't been disturbed by someone in a rural situation when setting fire to a barn, or doing something questionable with a goat? I know I have.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1372590470' post='2127435']
where do you play then Bert?
[/quote]

RoyalBert Hall of course, and Carnegie Hall when I'm over there. :D
No, just schools, churches, concert halls and the like. Mind ya: it's all in the past.
b,
b

Edited by BassTractor

Up to now never had a problem with theft at gigs and in 35 of playing live the only time any of my gear has got anything worse than the odd ding was last year when a fat psychobilly collided with Mr Venom in the wrecking pit and then fell on top of the theremin splitting both end cheeks where the aerials attach. Luckily it was fairly easily repaired with a couple of re-enforcing screws and a recalibration of the circuits to compensate fro the changed capacitance of the casing.

As I've said before when there has been discussion of the safety of musical equipment at gigs, if I went somewhere where there was concern about the audience damaging the gear, I'd probably be more worried about damage to my person. Musical instruments can always be replaced.

Had stands, kettle leads and extension cables (probably) unintentionally stolen but apart from that nothing! If I get home and the aforementioned accessories are missing it's probably because I've left them at the venue by mistake!

Yeah I'm not particularly attached to my gear but it's still a pain in the butthole if your stuff gets lifted so I have insurance for all my gear.

Truckstop

I keep a very close eye on my kit so (touch wood) I've not had anything stolen.

I have played with a drummer who assumed that one of the band other than himself was looking after his kit. However, he forgot to tell us this so while we were loading our own gear out, approx £1000 of his cymbals went out the door with another band. There is no way that was accidental.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372606140' post='2127608']
Up to now never had a problem with theft at gigs and in 35 of playing live the only time any of my gear has got anything worse than the odd ding was last year when a fat psychobilly collided with Mr Venom in the wrecking pit and then fell on top of the theremin splitting both end cheeks where the aerials attach. Luckily it was fairly easily repaired with a couple of re-enforcing screws and a recalibration of the circuits to compensate fro the changed capacitance of the casing.

As I've said before when there has been discussion of the safety of musical equipment at gigs, if I went somewhere where there was concern about the audience damaging the gear, I'd probably be more worried about damage to my person. Musical instruments can always be replaced.
[/quote]

Sounds like my sort of gig.

So, err, why you no play Rebellion?

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372531047' post='2126952']
I always put a strip of tape round my leads to make sure I can identify them at the end of the night after a few. Have done it to other items too
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with this, my main band has red tie-wraps around everything. Easy to take off if you really wanted to nick stuff but helps to identify our gear. Has been useful on occasion.

[quote name='jmchich' timestamp='1372680571' post='2128401']
Shame. I'll keep an eye out for next time you're playing in London.
[/quote]

With a bit of luck it shouldn't be too long until we're next in London.

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1372682415' post='2128447']
Nowt worse than splitting both your cheeks! :o
[/quote]

I'm not sure that the remedy of two 3" screws in each cheek is much better!

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1372501333' post='2126462']
Watching your band live has now made it to my "bucket list"
[/quote]

Thank you very much sir! Unfortunately we rarely leave the west country, so you might have to make do with some 'shakycam' badger action:

http://youtu.be/8CHbLAsuy98

Or this - which is steadier and with more badgers.

http://youtu.be/ovhQXPNvWTk