Why become a member? ×

Who's up for another South East Bass Bash?

silverfoxnik

To be honest Nik it is probably best for you to choose a date that suits you and nail it down. As time goes on, peoples availability changes making a vote pointless.

If you book it they will come!

Looking forward to seeing you all again

ped

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='218713' date='Jun 14 2008, 09:22 AM']Does anyone know how to do a Poll on this, so we can be uber-democratic and vote on it?[/quote]

You can edit the original post and add a poll to it :)

Hamster

[quote name='ped' post='218720' date='Jun 14 2008, 09:51 AM']To be honest Nik it is probably best for you to choose a date that suits you and nail it down. As time goes on, peoples availability changes making a vote pointless.

If you book it they will come!

Looking forward to seeing you all again

ped[/quote]
Hi Ped

That's probably true enough... So what I'm doing is having a chat with a couple of people here about it and will come up with a cunning plan by the end of the week! Will send you a PM!

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='224093' date='Jun 22 2008, 12:23 PM']Any news on this Nik please?[/quote]
Hi Matt,

Sorry for the delay.. here's the latest news:

[b]Venue:[/b]
I'd decided that Backline in Guildford was the best place to go to from the point of view of location, cost and facilities. But, I've been told today that they are very, very likely to [b]close completely[/b] in September for a re-furb. which means they are reluctant to take our booking because they are not 100% sure yet of their plans. And of course, if we book it and then 2 weeks beforehand they decide to close, we'd be up the creek without a paddle!

So I am now waiting on [b]Water Rats Studios, Woking[/b] to get back to me to confirm their availability (http://www.waterrat.co.uk/?gclid=CNPH3PKpiJQCFRU7EAodCmsEVw)

[b]Dates:[/b]

What I'd asked for was either:

[b]Sunday 21st September[/b] or [b]Saturday 27th September[/b]

with my preference being the [b]21st September[/b].

To explain my thinking on this briefly; because of people's holidays seeming to be at the end of August and the beginning of September, I thought it would provide a much better opportunity for everybody to make it if the date was near the end of September. I hope that's OK with everyone? As I say, I'm waiting to hear back from them soon with confirmation. There is good parking facilities but it's a 10 minute walk from the station. But, between us, I would have thought we could overcome that issue though..

[b]Format:[/b]
I'm thinking of booking [b]two rooms[/b];

Room 1: to be used for the main gathering, as per normal
Room 2: a seperate room to have either masterclasses, set-ups, workshops etc.

I've discussed this Room 2 idea with Ped & OBBM and they seem to think it could work really well, as do I! And, if people are up for the idea of masterclasses, then I'd like to ask everyone now if they have any mates/contacts who are so called [b]'name players'[/b] to see if they'd be interested in participating? We already have a name or two in the offing but more on that later..

[b]Donations:[/b]
I suggested to Ped that any profits from this go to either:

(i) the charity I work for, which is called 'Enable Me' (www.enableme.org.uk, which works with disabled people in schools).
(ii) a music related charity
(iii) Basschat.co.uk

Feedback I've had so far is that perhaps profits could be split between Basschat and Enable Me but to be honest, I'm open to suggestions on this. One thing I do feel strongly about though is making sure that any charitable donations go to smaller, less well-known charities this time around. That's because, working in the voluntary community sector as I do, it's well-known that all the big players like Mencap, Age Concern, Macmillan, Guide Dogs for the Blind etc, etc, are all sitting on [b]millions of pounds in reserves [/b]whilst the smaller local charities are finding it increasingly hard to get funding. That's because money always makes money, so all those big TV advertising campaigns you see (worthy as they all are), suck up all the charitable giving that's out there, or most of it anyway maning there's even less that trickles down to the bottom!

Sorry - I'll get off my soap-box now. :)

OK, that's it for now.. If I have once concern at the moment, it's that the size of the biggest room at Water Rats is a tad too small, otherwise, I think it's all coming together, albeit slowly. Apologies to all for such a long post but I wanted to bring everyone up to speed and invite feedback on what's being suggested.

Cheers

Nik

Well as a Woking resident I wasn't expecting that :) :huh: Now here's a thing. The station isn't far away but with say a couple of basses a bit painful so I would be quite willing to run a sort of (limited) shuttle service for anyone coming by train. Obviously I want to be at the bash for as long as possible but if we could sort it for reasonable times it should be okay. I have a Merc estate so should be alright for space BUT and here's the BUT it's an old beast and up for MOT next month. I don't imagine it will be a problem (have some mechanic mates) so hopefully will be sorted for August let alone September. So as long as MOT works out we can work out some details later. Also any gear needed to be collected locally can be done within reason.

Colin

Thanks for the replies folks..

Jase- it'd really be a shame not to have you there, what with the masterclass idea etc. But as you say, we'll never get dates that will work for everybody so I suppose we'll just have to have a cardboard cut out of you there instead... :)

Matt; a social club is a great idea and I like the idea of having a bar there (just like at the main Bash in March) but how do we find a club around that area is the issue for me as I wouldn't know where to start - don't you have to be members to hire out the place? Is the one in Fleet anywhere near a train station and do you know if they'd be interested in such an idea?

Mert, please ask Phil as that'd be great! Though without a set date it might be more tricky but offer up those 2 dates for starters and see what he says.

Cheers for now

Nik