Why become a member? ×

Thinking of having a total bass cull!

stingrayPete1977

Tough one this Pete.

I have had similar thoughts about all of my basses at one time or another and even more so with a new GB Rumour only a matter of weeks away!

Bottom line is that they can probably all be replaced again if you feel you missed them. There seems to be a lot of Pre EB's about at the moment and some nice ones too.

To complicate things more I may think of moving on my Classic 5! I bought it because it looked great and I wanted a 5 string version of my pre EB like you and also it was built the day before my son was born so I thought it would be great thing to have for sentimental reasons but god only knows if he would ever really want it as he is only 2! Bottom line is that I can't see much of a reason to have two 5 strings as well as the others.

Still I guess we should all be thankful that we are lucky enough to have too many basses!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371888904' post='2119113']
Actually you can see me mime with it here to the singer playing a Tony Levin OLP Ray :lol: (this was the demo track)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rONtsRRlq9U[/media]

You can hear it here though as I played the bassline on the finished track, listen to the place in your memory (the featuring Majika one is best IMO but either version is me playing), check out around 2 mins 20 for some Alnico parallel Ray goodness :D
[url="https://soundcloud.com/#davebarronband"]https://soundcloud.com/#davebarronband[/url]
[/quote]
Loved the song - nice bass tone - however, if I was buying a SR5, I'd be looking for a rosewood board. That's just me.

CB

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1371891323' post='2119140']
There seems to be a lot of Pre EB's about at the moment and some nice ones too.

To complicate things more I may think of moving on my Classic 5!
[/quote]
Best place (apart from Andy Baxter) to find these nice Pre-EB SRs?
More info on your Classic 5?

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1371891323' post='2119140']
Tough one this Pete.

I have had similar thoughts about all of my basses at one time or another and even more so with a new GB Rumour only a matter of weeks away!

Bottom line is that they can probably all be replaced again if you feel you missed them. There seems to be a lot of Pre EB's about at the moment and some nice ones too.

To complicate things more I may think of moving on my Classic 5! I bought it because it looked great and I wanted a 5 string version of my pre EB like you and also it was built the day before my son was born so I thought it would be great thing to have for sentimental reasons but god only knows if he would ever really want it as he is only 2! Bottom line is that I can't see much of a reason to have two 5 strings as well as the others.

Still I guess we should all be thankful that we are lucky enough to have too many basses!
[/quote]
I know, these are first world problems arent they? :D
GB weeks away or [i]Bernie[/i] Weeks away?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I'm in a similar position. None of my 4-strings have been played seriously for over 5 years and they are all in the process of being sold (except the Burns which was my first ever bass and is so heavily modified it's not really worth anything). Personally I don't need any more 5-string basses, but if I did I wouldn't bother making any decisions until I'd spent some quality time at Bass Direct, Bass Gear and The Gallery trying out every single 5-string bass they had in stock.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371893746' post='2119187']
....I was tempted to pop into Bass direct today and see what Mark had to offer me....
[/quote]

He's got everything to offer!!!!

That's the problem with going in there.

I'd get a Lakland but I'd also keep the all MM's for the time being.

Fees paid, Jazz listed....going to have some dinner and a good think about possible other listings later! :D keeping the Rays is probably a good idea but the black one is staying anyway 100% as its worth more to me than I could sell it for anyway unless I can track down the original owner who still has its fretless neck with colour matched headstock! :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371850453' post='2118904']

Not really, I do like the duck egg blue gb spitfires but nah.
[/quote]

And that is all the bass anyone could ever want. But if your a fan or 2band eqs the GBs power is totally the opposite end of the spectrum.

I own a GB IV pre spitfire.. And it's a Jack of all trades but also a master at the same time.

For pete's sake, didn't we have something similar not long ago and you eventually decided to keep the preEB? - don't sell lots of great stuff just in the hope of finding something good..... lets face it it's going to be a 5 string stingray of some kind isn't it.... go play lots of them, be nice to the fella above who said he was selling his... and good luck whatever you do!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371888904' post='2119113']
Actually you can see me mime with it here to the singer playing a Tony Levin OLP Ray :lol: (this was the demo track)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rONtsRRlq9U[/media]

You can hear it here though as I played the bassline on the finished track, listen to the place in your memory (the featuring Majika one is best IMO but either version is me playing), check out around 2 mins 20 for some Alnico parallel Ray goodness :D
[url="https://soundcloud.com/#davebarronband"]https://soundcloud.com/#davebarronband[/url]
[/quote]

That sounds very "Miasma" like!

Miasma is a band in Edinburgh that we know well (friends with SBK)... check it out:
http://miasma-band.bandcamp.com/

Really, the preEB... might go??? I cannot believe it.

Think about it very carefully!!! But if you finally decide to let it go... do feel free to send me a PM!

Yep is true or you can even have jazz bass pickups too if you wanted!!

GB could be a good way to go but once you start using one everything else sounds a bit tame in comparison!!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371919783' post='2119631']
I was actually on the phone to EBS Freak earlier who has a few GB basses, he said Bernie would make me a Spitfire with a MM pickup in the MM spot if I wanted! :)
[/quote]

You should keep your rays IMHO - if that's the bass sound you hear in your head then nothing else will suffice!

The classic 5, if the 4 is anything to go by, will be stunning. My 4 has TI flats - and I still managed to get a decent sound for aeroplane by RHCP in a gig last week - it even surprised me - then back to the thud for some Beatles covers!!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371919330' post='2119619']
He has only actually got one or two Classic Ray 5s and a Mayones Jabba I like the look of, no Laklands and not much in the way of 5 string G&L either.
[/quote]

Why look at those when you can try the 5-string Lull T-Bass or one of the 5-string Lightwaves?

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1371979074' post='2120180']
You should keep your rays IMHO - if that's the bass sound you hear in your head then nothing else will suffice!

The classic 5, if the 4 is anything to go by, will be stunning. My 4 has TI flats - and I still managed to get a decent sound for aeroplane by RHCP in a gig last week - it even surprised me - then back to the thud for some Beatles covers!!
[/quote]
I think maybe you are right, if only they made a proper pre EB 5 string I would be set!
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371979350' post='2120185']
Why look at those when you can try the 5-string Lull T-Bass or one of the 5-string Lightwaves?
[/quote]
Well maybe once I have done phase 1 of my master plan I will be more open to some left wing ideas (compared to the boring old Leo designs), again watch this space ;)

I'd look at it this way Pete. Change is good every so often. If you want to minimise the risk, then don't make changes that can't be easily reversed. So keep any bass which you'd have trouble replacing and move the rest on.

CB

PS: I'm very glad I did finally make a change. I pretty much spent 37 years playing the same Fender Jazz Bass on the same set of strings. Never really realised there was a whole world of tone out there. Until I got Bongo'd, XL'd etc. Now there's no looking back.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371941867' post='2120004']
Possibly something in the pipeline, no fat lady singing yet though so you will all have to wait!

I will have a listen Mcnach tomorrow and I will keep you updated on the pre eb if things go that way ;)
[/quote]

But I really think you should keep it.

And you know I'm right. ;)