Why become a member? ×

The 'brightest' Flatwounds?

Corvine

Hello.
I was wondering, in people's experience, what are the brightest sounding flatwounds?

I prefer the zing of roundwound strings, but I also like to slide about a lot, and love the feel of playing on flats. I have tried groundwound/halfwounds as a compromise, but still much prefer the smoothness of sliding about on flats.

Can anyone recomend a flatwound that has a nice bright sound, preferably one that keeps it sound for the longest time? (new set of strings aint cheap!)

Also someone suggested string cleaner to maintain the new-string sound. I have been using fast-fret. Anyone have an experience/advice with this or other products?

(Need the strings in a long scale length set of 5 btw)

Cheers

A fresh set of Chromes would do the job. I've heard that Rotosounds also fill the "bright flatwound" niche, but haven't tried them. Nylon tapewounds might also be worth a look, as my D'Addario tapes may even be a little brighter than Chromes once both are played in (although as a caveat, I didn't like the B string on the tapes, though others have had different results).

GHS Brite Flats are ground wound, but are very smooth - as are the Status half-rounds I have on my fretless (which are even smoother). I don't know which half-rounds you tried before, but these two are much flatter and smoother than the D'Addario ones for example.

Cool, thanks.
Anyone got an idea which chromes keep their sound longest?

And where's a good place to buy online? I've been looking on strings direct, but they don't seem to have all the types of strings that I hear people mention. I need 5string long scale length which makes it a little more difficult.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1371724430' post='2117326']
From personal use, Chromes, but having watched a few flats-comparisons on youtube, agree with the Fender recommendations. In fact I thought they sounded twangier than the Chromes.
[/quote]

Can't seem to find the Fenders in a 5 string set.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1371675208' post='2116937']
A fresh set of Chromes would do the job. I've heard that Rotosounds also fill the "bright flatwound" niche, but haven't tried them. Nylon tapewounds might also be worth a look, as my D'Addario tapes may even be a little brighter than Chromes once both are played in (although as a caveat, I didn't like the B string on the tapes, though others have had different results).
[/quote]

Can you remind me which tapewounds you use? I'm wondering about replacing the 4-year-old DRs on that ash jazz, and remember yours sounded rather good.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1371728539' post='2117398']
Can you remind me which tapewounds you use? I'm wondering about replacing the 4-year-old DRs on that ash jazz, and remember yours sounded rather good.
[/quote]
Mine are the D'Addario ETB92-5 set. They're .050 to .105 gauge (ignoring the B string). I put them on in September and the sound hasn't really changed much in 9 months. This is unusual for me as a set of Chromes has usually lost its brightness after 6 weeks when I've used them (they must not agree with my sweat!).

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1371736752' post='2117539']
Yes, Chromes start bright, in a "ping" sort of way. But then they quickly thud out. For longetivity, and some good growl, Fender 9050CL 45-60-80-105 have been the flats that changed me from a rounds player.
[/quote]

Any idea if anywhere sells these as a 5 string set (in uk)?

Edited by Corvine

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1371677753' post='2116978']
I love Chromes. Bright for flats, but still with a bit more warmth and depth than rounds. They do have a bit more tension than a lot of stings (noticeably more than the Ernie Ball Slinkys I use for rounds). But they're excellent strings IMO.
[/quote]

+1.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1381678290' post='2242168']
Hi, I dare to bump the topic. ;)
What would you say about GHS Pressure Wounds? I need flatwound strings with a quite bright sound but with a little less tension than Chromes. A long lifespan would be nice either.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GcQJyHGbeY