Why become a member? ×

Anyone prefer small 1x12 cab sounds to larger rigs?

mcgraham

As mentioned in my [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/209590-best-bass-sound-youve-ever-had-heard/page__pid__2104377#entry2104377"]other thread [/url]I had the best sound I've ever had at a gig the other night. I've felt this feeling before, but I think I prefer the sound of my Berg IP112, so a single 1x12, to the sound of the full stack, so the IP112 plus the 1x12 extension cab. The full stack has crazy low end extension, but I find the sound more balanced and tight to my ears just with the 1x12 on its own.

I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this sort of thing before? Anyone prefer having a smaller cab over a larger cab or multi-cab setup for tonal reasons?

I've now got two Bill Fitzmaurice Jack 12s (both with Kappa 3012HO), so am a very happy bunny indeed. One on its own sounds really great, but I [i]am [/i]enjoying the extra low-end and heft to be got by using the two of them together...

There is a price to be paid when hauling two cabs instead of one obviously, but even so...

Edited by discreet

I gigged for a couple of years with just my Mark Bass CMD121 1x12 combo. It was fine most of the time but I started to think it was struggling to fill some of the larger rooms we play. Last summer I got the matching 1x12 cab and I realised what I'd been missing. Yes, there is more low end but it's really just more of everything and I prefer the sound with both cabs. I do sometimes just use the combo alone when I have PA support or it is a small venue but, based on tone, I prefer both.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1370696466' post='2104517']
We can argue the toss over exact makes and models but I really think 12's are where its at these days, 1 for the dog and ferret, 2 for decent stages or marquees etc, 4 or 8 for knebworth :)[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]+1 Absolutely... though I don't think there's a situation where you'd need more than two J12s. [/size] :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1370691320' post='2104424']
I gigged for a couple of years with just my Mark Bass CMD121 1x12 combo. It was fine most of the time but I started to think it was struggling to fill some of the larger rooms we play.[/quote]

I had no trouble filling a large room with just a BF Midget (see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/201484-barefaced-midget/page__pid__2040285#entry2040285"]this thread[/url]) but it could well have been a different story with a louder band.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1370691320' post='2104424']
I gigged for a couple of years with just my Mark Bass CMD121 1x12 combo. It was fine most of the time but I started to think it was struggling to fill some of the larger rooms we play. Last summer I got the matching 1x12 cab and I realised what I'd been missing. Yes, there is more low end but it's really just more of everything and I prefer the sound with both cabs. I do sometimes just use the combo alone when I have PA support or it is a small venue but, based on tone, I prefer both.
[/quote]

Same here. The combo on its own is fine, but adding the ext cab makes a really big difference.

I am going to go against the grain here.
2x112 can be a good rig but you'll hit its limits before you will a good 4 10 type rig, IME.
There may be fine margins in it for some, but my 2x210 is definitely in front of my 2x12 as the rig of choice
in every regard bar carry.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1370710916' post='2104763']
....does anyone prefer the tone of SINGLE 1x12 cab over two 1x12 or larger rigs etc....
[/quote]

Nope.

To my ears, 1 AE112 sounds great but 2 AE112 cabs sound 5 times better.

yep...agree. I wouldn't even bother with a single 112 ..
the only time I'd only take one out would if I just needed a sound up for
a song arrangement session with no drums, but I could also use a MB 102 combo
for that.

I don't know If I can answer with yes, since I never felt the need to add a second one to my german custom made S.A.D. 1x12" cab that I got 2 years ago.
it sounds perfect as a monitor or stand alone for up to 100 people and for bigger venues there always is additional monitoring and the subs of the pa...
I just love the direct tightness even on the low B and don't miss any subbass on stage at all.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1370710916' post='2104763']
Maybe I didn't word it clearly but I was actually meaning - does anyone prefer the tone of SINGLE 1x12 cab over two 1x12 or larger rigs etc.[/quote]

Prefer the tone? No. :) I only use one 1X12 for playing at home, or anywhere else where space or volume constraints may be a problem... but it's always well worth the extra effort to haul two imho, even with PA support. Just for the heft. THE HEFT, I TELLS YA!! ...Sorry.

I know what you're saying - for some types of playing you don't want too much boom, a tighter sound is where it's at. The output from two speakers stacked is only fully constructive below a certain frequency so you will get a more even bass/low mid boost, right in a region that can interact with rooms, and then more listener-dependent combing effects at higher frequencies, which means you can lose some of the higher harmonic definition - that's one reason why an 810 is not just the sound of a 110 magnified to our ears.
The heft that Discreet talks about is definitely where a lot of players have the meat of their sound, and it works well for certain genres - if the J12 plays like the J10s I have, then it has tons of that low-mid boost already. I think the Bergs are voiced similarly down there albeit not so pronounced, so if you stack them it could easily be too much of a 'good thing' for some styles and definitely in certain rooms.

I've been using a mesa Scout 112 which I really enjoy but felt that a bigger cab would be better for on stage volume and projection as we started to play some bigger rooms. I picked up a Dr Bass 2460 (2x12 woofers, 150 watt 6.5" mid w/compression horn) and the difference on stage is certainly noticeable. Call it heft, or the feel it in your stomach thing but it's certainly hittin' the spot! Not sure that I want to get rid of the Mesa as it's a great wee cab but I haven't used it since getting the Dr Bass!

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1370729398' post='2105022']
....I think the Bergs are voiced similarly down there albeit not so pronounced, so if you stack them it could easily be too much of a 'good thing' for some styles and definitely in certain rooms....
[/quote]

Not sure what you're getting at here!

Bergantino cabs are never "too much of a good thing" for any style.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1370908116' post='2107444']
Not sure what you're getting at here!

Bergantino cabs are never "too much of a good thing" for any style.
[/quote]

How you love your Bergs :D All I'm saying is that stack speakers and you change the frequency response (as well as distortion) compared to a single, so if you get it sounding just perfect with one cab it won't be exactly the same adding a second cab, the physics says 'no'.