Why become a member? ×

Ohhh!...it's Jethro Tull Living In The Past..I never knew that!

iconic

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1370518796' post='2102071']
Must have been a bad night when I saw it then, Ian's voice is a shell of what it was, and I found myself wishing he would stop trying, and let that other lad he brought in sing the whole thing instead.
:(
[/quote]
Maybe it was better as it was a smallish indoor show rather than a festival appearance. Or just an off night as you say.
His voice is definitely not as good as it was, but overall I thought it was excellent - the young lad sounded spookily like him at times.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1370519093' post='2102077']
...I think Stormwatch is a vastly underrated album....
[/quote]
"Stormwatch" is a very good album indeed.
Some very nice bass playing on it courtesy of Ian Anderson himself too.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1370519430' post='2102083']
"Stormwatch" is a very good album indeed.
Some very nice bass playing on it courtesy of Ian Anderson himself too.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm aware of the health problems with Glascock at the time and the bass playing credits on the album. But I'd never seen this before, which I found interesting - scroll through to the 4min mark. There's JG playing on Dark Ages. I can only assume his tracks never made it to the finished song. And is that a Wal he's playing? don't think I've seen him play one in photos or video before.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxp_H-8hsIw[/media]

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1370519821' post='2102090']
And is that a Wal he's playing?
[/quote]
Yes, that's definitely an old Wal. And Martin Barre playing a solidbody Rickenbacker!!
Thanks for posting the clip, never seen that before - I'll watch it in full later.

Edited by RhysP

I have always been a big Tull fan. However, for me, their first four or five were their best. I was not overly fond of
their out put after that. Glenn Cornick has always been one of my favourite bassists.

I am surprised that so far, no mention has been made about their very first album...."This Was.."

It is the only one that features Mick Abrahms. It is very jazz/blues influenced compared to their later
albums. As usual, Cornick is amazing through out.

One of my favourite tracks from this album features his lovely walking bass lines on
"Serenade to a Cuckoo".

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRKNKGMXh0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRKNKGMXh0[/url]

Another 'Stormwatch' fan here!

Re: the mystery 'trees' album, could it have been 'Roots to Branches'? If so that is one of their later albums and isn't too great I must admit. If however it was 'Songs From The Wood' then that there is one of the finest albums ever recorded.

Ooh, and I love the 'Nothing Is Easy' set, live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 (I think). Heavy as hell, raging fuzzed-up prog at it's finest. You can just sense how deafening the show must have been - Cornick's Hiwatts are distoted to hell and screaming for mercy.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1370524624' post='2102179']
I am surprised that so far, no mention has been made about their very first album...."This Was.."

It is the only one that features Mick Abrahms. It is very jazz/blues influenced compared to their later
albums. As usual, Cornick is amazing through out.
[/quote]
I was going to mention it, but only in as much as I really don't like it, largely because of the aforementioned jazz/blues influence.

Didn't Cornick & Abrahms go on to form another band together?

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1370525780' post='2102204']
I don't think they were in another band together after Tull but may be wrong. Abrahms formed Blodwyn Pig, I think Glen's band was Wild Turkey?
[/quote]
I think it's me having the brain fart - I'm thinking of Hot Tuna, the band formed by Jack Casady & Jorma Kaukonen from Jefferson Airplane.

Just found this thread - wierd coincidence.

Having learnt this lovely track 'Living In The Past' when it was first released I occassionaly use the intro riffs as a warm up piece before a gig.

So we are at an outdoor pub gig last August and the main man (vocals and guitar) turns to me at the end of the first set and tells me to play "that practise thing you do in C". So I start playing it quietly and two bars later the rest of the band are in and we play the whole song through and all landed together.
The first time ever for me to do this. :rolleyes:
Turns out that the rest of the band had gone away and learned the song and dumped me right in it.
It was great - I lived in the past and it worked so well that one of the audience who had to leave a bit ealy came up and thanked us; said he'd never heard a band other than JT play it live and plonked a £20 note on the PA cab telling us to buy a drink or two for making his day. :D
And we are only a three piece with no flute......

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1370531007' post='2102296']
I don't know how Steve Tyler & Jack Bruce manage to keep it perfect.
[/quote]
The common denominator would appear to be massive long term drug abuse. :)

also Brian Johnson, Paul Rodgers....

Robert Plant is not the same as was (he has altered stylistically to his changing voice) but still not as bad as the awkward mumblings I witnessed at Ian Anderson's show, which I was really looking forward to, Thick as a Brick is maybe my favourite album ever.... :(

I may have had unreasonable expectations, I will accept that...

All the Tull bass players are fantastic. Songs From the Wood is an essential bass album - John Glascock's playing is sublime. Martin Barre commented that, at the time JG was more into the music than anyone. Don't forget Jon Noyce from later days, who also did great stuff with Gary Moore.

Ian Anderson was always very demanding of his band and generally employed only the best he could find. I saw him do an accoustic set a year or two ago and that was excellent, I guy playing keys/percussion, one guitarist/bassist and IA, all very low level so he didn't need to strain his voice at all. A good evening had by all in a nice small venue (Burnley Mechanics).

I'd admit to being a bit of a Tull fan. Seen them twice on I think it was the JT.com tour. Mr Anderson was very active on stage then even if his voice was going. Life's a long song is among my top 10 all time fave raves, a beautiful song.
Living in the Past was given to me by my girlfriend for my birthday in 1969.
Living in the Past was reissued in the mid 70's and was a hit again. I remember seeing Anderson, possibly without a band, miming to the record on a saturday afternoon pop show what was introduced by some camp producer stylee presenter who's catchphrase was "cue this" or "cue that".
Anderson gave it the whole routine, one leg, popeye etc etc and when it came to the instrumental produced a pint of beer from somewhere and proceeded to drink. Towards the end of the instrumental, you think, he's going to put the beer down soon. He didn't but on his cue (to mime) opened his mouth and all the beer spewed out. I.A. at his awful best.
Happy days.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1370550273' post='2102667']
Life's a long song is among my top 10 all time fave raves, a beautiful song.
[/quote]

Cool!
"Life Is a Long Song" is among my top 1 all time fave raves - most of the time. Bought the ep for like 50p and was an immediate fan. That ep must be something of the best they ever did.
Anyway, I'm seriously contemplating to die happy. For that, all I need to do is to buy me a new guitar and learn to play LIaLS. That and "Nursie". This contemplation has lasted for four decades now. I love the song that much.

BTW, the very, very first song I tried to teach myself when coming home with my first bass, was, of course, "Living in the Past".

Fave albums are probably still "A Passion Play" and "Thick as a Brick". So much loveliness within those pieces - patchy as they may be. Then again, dozens of other albums are close runners up for me, so it's really hard to choose.

best,
bert

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1370534784' post='2102368']
So it's not a Cud song?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD8ASzGVs3g[/media]
[/quote]

I kinda like that, but at that tempo it loses that cool groovin Glen Cornick bass line.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1370570807' post='2102954']
I kinda like that, but at that tempo it loses that cool groovin Glen Cornick bass line.
[/quote]
I really liked it too, even though to me it sounds more like the theme from "Mission Impossible" with the words to "Living in the past" sung over it.

I feel a mash-up coming on...... :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1370599698' post='2103193']

I really liked it too, even though to me it sounds more like the theme from "Mission Impossible" with the words to "Living in the past" sung over it.

I feel a mash-up coming on...... :)
[/quote]

both in 5/4 time...quite similar groove