Why become a member? ×

sadowsky bass nyc or metro

Black Coffee

Pschocandy will no doubt be along shortly to give you the benefit of his experience with both , but I can vouch for the fact the NYC Sadowsky's are one of the few expensive basses that are really worth the money . If you can afford an NYC , I doubt you would regret buying one , especially in the long- term .

I have played both and currently have a Metro up for sale here (http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207819-sadowsky-metro-rv4-car-fs-reduced-to-l1150-ono/) so full disclosure.

I found the NYC to be lighter due to the chambered body and, of course, going the NYC route opens you up to loads of options that are not available on the Metro range. In terms of sound, I thought they were pretty close but, as they all use the same pick-ups and preamp, that's to be expected. For me, the Metro after haggling was good value for money whereas the NYC seemed to be a lot extra for not much more. Putting it another way, it was a lot more dosh for a lighter weight.

hi

the NYC's are not worth at all the extra in my opinion... unless you want a very specific option not available in the metro range....

originally the metro line was designed for japanese market... roger sad' says himself that japanese customer is one fo the most demanding one, and that if a japanese customer is happy with something , 99,99999% of people be...

once saw a metro and a nyc with same specs.... they were of course not exactly the same sounding basses, but was the NYC worth £1500/2000 extra??

not at all

It's already been said above but if your desired spec is simple and falls within what the metro range offers then the choice is easy, go metro.

If however you require anything non standard (fancy woods, light weight, custom colours etc) then NYC is the only way to go.

I've owned both and honestly, i loved them all and wouldn't like to have to choose between them!

:)

Another aspect to take into consideration apart from the lower weight and additional options (nut width, finishes, wood combos) on NYC models is the resale value. A 5 String Metro is now coming close to 2.5k (or above for some models) in the UK and Metros are imo not holding their value as well as NYC basses.

I played a number of Metros and NYC's and in terms of quality there was not much between them - very consistent build quality with great attention to detail. Slight edge for the NYC's I'd say. Worth noting that the Metros are not mass-produced but workshop made in relatively limited numbers so that you can't necessarily compare Metros to other "value lines" from other brands.

Edited by lowerbassment

I have a NYC m5 24 bass which I bought second hand through bass chat. The bass is great to play with fantastic tone.
I have never played a metro Sadowsky but i have heard great things about the metro basses.

The reason I wanted an NYC model was because I wanted a light weight 5 string bass.

Not impressed with how a large chain displays their Sadowsky Metro range and the prices to go with it.
I'd pay £2500 for the right NYC but not sure I'd pay much more than half that for a metro ..or the ones I've played/seen.

At £2500, that brings a lot of other basses into the equation ...IMO.. so you are getting into very fine details.

I could add a NYC to my quiver but not at the expense of what I have... I guess I would have to see it and it would be a very hard decision to make

I've had both NYC and Metro.

I'd second the emotions here: if you [i]need[/i] a chambered body, or a translucent green over spalted maple finish, go USA.

The configuration options on the metros are enough for me. Unless one came up second hand, I don't think I'd buy an NYC.

Just to add another two penneth worth , regardless of whether you get an NYC or a Metro , a Sadowsky is a bass with a unique sound and character , and it won't neccesarilly substitute for a Fender , despite looking like one . Yes , they have got lots in common in terms of sound and feel , but in my experience the Sadowsky ( like a lot of other super high quality Fender - inspired designs ) has got a sheen to it that always feels quite a bit different to the grit and grind you get from a Fender . Sadowskys are effortless to play , but Roger favours a little bit of fallaway at the top of the necks on his basses , and that always makes them feel very unlike Fenders to me , and in terms of sound , they tend to be a bit more modern - sounding with a lot more focus than a straight Fender bass without a preamp . None of these things are negatives by any means - they are amazingly good basses - but if you haven't played one , don't assume they are a direct Fender - clone .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1369745220' post='2092200']
Just to add another two penneth worth , regardless of whether you get an NYC or a Metro , a Sadowsky is a bass with a unique sound and character , and it won't neccesarilly substitute for a Fender , despite looking like one . Yes , they have got lots in common in terms of sound and feel , but in my experience the Sadowsky ( like a lot of other super high quality Fender - inspired designs ) has got a sheen to it that always feels quite a bit different to the grit and grind you get from a Fender . Sadowskys are effortless to play , but Roger favours a little bit of fallaway at the top of the necks on his basses , and that always makes them feel very unlike Fenders to me , and in terms of sound , they tend to be a bit more modern - sounding with a lot more focus than a straight Fender bass without a preamp . None of these things are negatives by any means - they are amazingly good basses - but if you haven't played one , don't assume they are a direct Fender - clone .
[/quote]

Well written , i totally agree.
my NYC M5 24 looks abit like a jazz but sounds and feels quite different from any Fender that i have played. (not a bad thing)
It is hard to put into words but the Sadowsky's are very precise , punchy & modern sounding.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1369746210' post='2092217']
Well written , i totally agree.
my NYC M5 24 looks abit like a jazz but sounds and feels quite different from any Fender that i have played. (not a bad thing)
It is hard to put into words but the Sadowsky's are very precise , punchy & modern sounding.
[/quote]

I've played an NYC Modern 5 the same as yours , Chris , and it is , without exception , the best five string bass I have ever had my hands on , and that includes much more expensive ones like full - spec Foderas , ect . It's one of the few fives where the low B actually sounds and feels like the other four strings but one lower , if you you see what I mean . I know Roger designed that bass to give a more modern sound ( hence the name ) on a familiar - feeling Fender - style body shape , and he put a lot of work into the pickup placement to get the best overall balance for the B string , and whatever he did really works , as I'm sure you would agree . Even though it's modern - sounding , there is still a lot more guts to the overall tone than a lot of boutique - style basses ( something that's true of all Sadowsky's ) and you could just as happily play one in a heavy metal band as you could a jazz funk outfit .

I've owned a few NYC and Metros over the years and personally I much preferred the NYC models.

As others have said, I'm not sure there's a huge margin of difference in terms of tone but the NYC models exude some class about look, fit and finish that the Metros don't quite capture.

Like everything there are going to be better and worse examples of both out there. I recently played a Metro that was particularly nice and maybe one of may favourite Sads. I've also played an NYC with appalling neck dive - I should say this is extremely rare and a set of ultra-lite tuners sorted the worst of the problem.

In terms of value on the used market the NYC's are, almost always, easier to sell. They are very desirable and move fast. In the shop I help out at from time to time they are the single fastest selling pre-owned basses that ever come in.

One thing to add, if you haven't played one before, is that some Sads have really, really flat radius boards. I had one very nice bass but found I was getting bad wrist ache playing it and it had the flattest board of anything I've ever owned so I put it down to that :(

With the Metro's now being rather expensive, and out of sight for the market they were (IMO) aimed at, (eg a slightly more boutique and well built Fender but not NYC) I'd get an NYC made and sent direct to me, without a dealer.

Metro prices now are extreme, but then again a lot of manufacturers are raising prices to rather crazy levels.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1369762026' post='2092471']
With the Metro's now being rather expensive, and out of sight for the market they were (IMO) aimed at, (eg a slightly more boutique and well built Fender but not NYC) I'd get an NYC made and sent direct to me, without a dealer.

Metro prices now are extreme, but then again a lot of manufacturers are raising prices to rather crazy levels.
[/quote]

Unfortunately , I think you will find that the exchange rate is working against you at the moment , Gareth . The overall rate is at about $1.50 to the pound at the moment , but you will struggle to get above 1.45 if you are actually trying to change your money and send it to Sadowsky . As a quick thumbnail calculation , that rate translates to ( very approximately ) £3450 - 3500 delivered to the U.K price for the most basic spec four string Sadowsky , with the price increasing incrementally as you add various options or if you want a five . string . If you want a few extras and / or a five string , an NYC Sadowsky is going to set you back about four grand at the moment . Does that tally with what you had been expecting an NYC bass to cost in the U.K ?

Edited by Dingus

My 2nd hand MV4 I bought in December only cost me £999, only one owner since new and very minor dings, blemishes etc. It was set up absolutely beautifully as well when I bought it, never had to mess around with it in any way. There's deals to be had if you can find them. I've paid out more on basses before, but this one is for keeps, definitely.

Edited by lou24d53

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1369766217' post='2092554']

Unfortunately , I think you will find that the exchange rate is working against you at the moment , Gareth . The overall rate is at about $1.50 to the pound at the moment , but you will struggle to get above 1.45 if you are actually trying to change your money and send it to Sadowsky . As a quick thumbnail calculation , that rate translates to ( very approximately ) £3450 - 3500 delivered to the U.K price for the most basic spec four string Sadowsky , with the price increasing incrementally as you add various options or if you want a five . string . If you want a few extras and / or a five string , an NYC Sadowsky is going to set you back about four grand at the moment . Does that tally with what you had been expecting an NYC bass to cost in the U.K ?
[/quote]

Roughly! That was what I was expecting...ish. I doubt I'd actually go about it that way...more than likely go over and try one out whilst on holiday then decide from there.

The Metros are great quality, just extremely expensive nowadays.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1369774345' post='2092691']
Roughly! That was what I was expecting...ish. I doubt I'd actually go about it that way...more than likely go over and try one out whilst on holiday then decide from there.

The Metros are great quality, just extremely expensive nowadays.
[/quote]

If it's any consolation or encouragement , in my opinion Sadowsky's are one of the high end basses that really are worth the money . The attention to small details sets them apart . All providing you like the design to begin with , of course . They won't suit everybody .

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1369762026' post='2092471']

[/quote]

Roger used to refuse to sell NYC's through dealers but does now allow limited stocks. I can't be sure but I guess it's partly so that people can get to try a new NYC without having to fly to New York.

In real terms it shouldn't cost any more to buy through a dealer than buying direct (unless you bring something back at lower than standard import duties and VAT).