Why become a member? ×

Rush at the o 2 . I won't spoil it for anyone who is going on this tour , but ...

Glad it's not just me that thinks that these big bands just try to be too loud. When they are flat out I can hardly hear a single instrument but rather just a huge amount of noise. Turn it down a couple of notches guys and lets hear the music as it is on the albums !! When the live album and DVD comes out the sound quality may not be perfect but it will be far far better than at the gig ( and a damn site cheaper )

Even the youtube clips people took on their cameras/phones sounded clearer than being there!!! I usually wear earplugs when playing myself,and last night near the end I half placed my fingers in my ears,and could instantly hear everything much clearer. I guess (someone on here probably has the science) that the echo from the building is mostly to blame??? Always nice to see Rush though.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1369509093' post='2090010']
Even the youtube clips people took on their cameras/phones sounded clearer than being there!!! I usually wear earplugs when playing myself,and last night near the end I half placed my fingers in my ears,and could instantly hear everything much clearer. I guess (someone on here probably has the science) that the echo from the building is mostly to blame??? Always nice to see Rush though.
[/quote]

I always wear earplugs when watching indoor gigs, improves the sound quality immeasurably.

I will still go to this venue, if the bandbs i like will still play here. (Rammstein, rush,metallica). Tbh, there arent any other bands i like (except jean michel jarre) that
I. Like that arebig enough to play here. I will definitely get seats that are not so high up in the future. Look forward to the dvd tho' .

Every gig I've seen at the O2 has had great sound, with the exception of the two Rush gigs there. I wore ear plugs though and it was ok from a few rows back on the floor, though not brilliant. I thought the band was on great form and as I've caught every tour for more than 30 years & think CA is their best new release for 25 years, I was more than happy with the setlist. Sure deep down I'd like to see a whole load more early stuff, but Geddy just can't sing those songs any more. The band know how to deliver & I think they demonstrated that last night in heaps.

Only gig I've been to that was delayed by a fox...

I was offered tickets for the MEN for both Rush (wednesday) and thunder , journey whitesnake (thursday) . If I really wanted to go I would have sorted my diary , but I have been to enough shows at the MEN to write off any thoughts of hearing a decent production.
Theatre gigs work well , and a top soundman can make it superb , but they probably just can't rake the same coin in from 3000 punters as they can from 12000 :(

Sounded pretty good at the Birming LG Arena last night. First 3 tracks were bit muddled. There's too much twiddly bits being added in. A lot of the music would sound a lot better if they calmed a lot of it down just for live. Too busy for the big arenas to capture what they're all playing...

Video - amazing.

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1369527450' post='2090241']
Sure deep down I'd like to see a whole load more early stuff, but Geddy just can't sing those songs any more. The band know how to deliver & I think they demonstrated that last night in heaps.

[/quote]

Sad but true - Geddy can't hit the high notes anymore. But they're doing the right thing by playing to their strengths and that's what made it such an enjoyable show for me.

I was really surprised when they kicked into the last song, thinking "how is he going to be able to sing this?" But then I realised that they were playing it in a lower key - again, a great idea as that was a perfect way to end the set.

I love the early stuff as well (love all it TBH) - but I'm quite glad they don't really do the 70's stuff.

They've moved on so much since then, so a bit of 2112 at the end of the set is enough for me!

I'm happy that Geddy, at almost 60, isn't still singing about tasting honeydew!

Loved it last night, brilliant show. Only downside was getting home after getting back to Brum - just in time to miss last buses and trains, so ended up walking thirteen miles back home rather than paying a stupid amount for a taxi <_<

Surprisingly enjoyed the Clockwork Angels material - wasn't massive on a lot of it on record but live they really made it work well.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1369471771' post='2089519']
I went last night too. Had no intention of going (60 quid a pop - no thanks) but a couple of mates had a spare going free so I went. Thought they played really well. I forget just what a great guitarist Alex Lifeson really is.
[/quote][quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1369471771' post='2089519']
I went last night too. Had no intention of going (60 quid a pop - no thanks) but a couple of mates had a spare going free so I went. Thought they played really well. I forget just what a great guitarist Alex Lifeson really is.
[/quote]. Alex very underrated. Best I have heard him play for along time

Just back from the NEC gig.
The sound where I was sat was the best I've heard at a Rush gig for a long time. Not overly loud & you could clearly pick out everything - can't really ask much more than that in one of these crappy aircraft hanger venues.

Set was great, and really enjoyed what the string section did in the second half. The Clockwork Angels stuff sounded great live.

Could have happily lived without the encore numbers though - I really don't need to hear YYZ, Tom Sawyer & a truncated 2112 ever again to be honest - would have preferred to hear some more stuff from Power Windows or Grace Under Pressure.

All in all that was the best I've seen them since the "Roll the Bones" tour - f***ing brilliant gig!

[quote name='afterimage' timestamp='1369654757' post='2091216']
. Alex very underrated. Best I have heard him play for along time
[/quote]
Alex was absolutely ripping it up at the NEC - he was playing like a man possessed!

Agree with positive comments about Brum show. I loved the setlist. Does anyone know the details of Geddy's blue and white Jazz's? I know the 'other' black one is in drop D and the red is a whole tone down. I thought the tone was noticeably different with the blue and white ones.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1369662595' post='2091305']

Could have happily lived without the encore numbers though - I really don't need to hear YYZ, Tom Sawyer & a truncated 2112 ever again to be honest - would have preferred to hear some more stuff from Power Windows or Grace Under Pressure.

All in all that was the best I've seen them since the "Roll the Bones" tour - f***ing brilliant gig!
[/quote]

LOL how different are we all. Absolutely loved YYZ, Tom Sawyer and 2112 and thought the best gig ever was Time Machine.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1369673862' post='2091468']
LOL how different are we all. Absolutely loved YYZ, Tom Sawyer and 2112 and thought the best gig ever was Time Machine.
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure I was in a minority of one when it came to the encores. :D

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1369667773' post='2091375']
Agree with positive comments about Brum show. I loved the setlist. Does anyone know the details of Geddy's blue and white Jazz's? I know the 'other' black one is in drop D and the red is a whole tone down. I thought the tone was noticeably different with the blue and white ones.
[/quote]

Here is an article about the gear used on the tour.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Nov/GALLERY_Rushs_Clockwork_Angels_Tour_Gear.aspx?Page=24&