Why become a member? ×

Hi from Vancouver, Canada!

donkelley

Hi there,

I'm a 44 year old musician on the west coast of Canada! Hope it's ok that I signed up for your forum :-D

I've played bass on repeated minor sessions a zillion times over the years and done my part as a pro musician before having kids with my wife.

Now I just play remote sessions out of my home studio and dream of getting back to playing live.

Basses (UPDATED):
- 2 US-made EBMM 5 string Sub basses, one fretted, one fretless (these are basically 5 string classic stingrays with ugly finishes to cover the poplar bodies)
- Ibanez BTB556 natural finish 6 string ERB (much nicer than what I had before)
- Ibanez BTB405QM
- Hagstrom HB-8

Amp:
- Ampeg PF-350
- Traynor TC-112 cab with Eminence 2512 speaker instead of stock celestion
- Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro (yes, seriously, and yes it's really REALLY good and useful)

Lots(!) of guitars, a banjo, mandolin, really good classical violin (approx 350 years old, my instrument of training), viola, electric violin, 2 acoustic guitars, roland drum kit, couple of synths (novation, yamaha), korg digital piano, a lap steel guitar, a cajon, and I'm sure some other things I'm forgetting about.

But I have been most successful as a violinist and bass guitarist mostly over the years, followed by electric guitar, then drums. I've played each of them on other people's albums over the years... although I don't remember a lot of the gigs I've had which I'm sure must have been entertaining LoL

Edited by donkelley

All are welcome here, no matter how far from our .uk domain they might be; so a big hello and come on in from Ez Towers.

Mrs Ez and I have been regular visitors to BC and Van for many years and seeing a new BCer (BassChat, British Columbia; this could get confusing) from your neck of the woods in BC (see what I mean :) ) makes me yearn for the costal range and English Bay (a pizza from Hell's Kitchen in Kitsilano would sit just right about now).

Hey Donkelley,

Welcome!
As said, BC doesn't discriminate so much. Also, if you just state that you are indeed Canadian, you should be totally safe. ;)

Please spread some wisdom, and do partake in the banter.

BTW, what's that with the ugly finishes on US Subs? I've head about it before but am not aware of what they consist of. Are they shine through, or bad versions of the regular colourful ones?

best,
bert

Hi everybody! thanks for the kind words of welcome, and it's great that this is such a warm and friendly place to a guy like me. :-)

I'm playing a 6 string ERB Ibanez BTB556 now - note my updated list of instruments in first post.

Agreed the finishes are bizarre on US EBMM Subs, but the basses sound and play virtually identically to US Stingray Classics which are built on the same machines by the same folks with the same parts.

I kind of like the red wine colored fretless body, and the black fretted one looks very heavy metal in a "my bass wears a leather jacket" kind of a way, I suppose. Not that I am exactly a tough metal head kind of person... although I am getting into heavier music as I get older. I suppose that's the opposite of most folks.

And yes - I definitely want to get back to playing live if I can at some point, but it's not practical in my life these days.

I'll be really interested to become involved with this board over the next few months - there seems to be a lot to learn from the membership here!

Thanks for the welcome, once again :-D

Cheers
Don Kelley
That Canadian Bassist

Edited by donkelley