Why become a member? ×

10 year old bass player

Wonderful. I'm surprised no one has chimed in with "He has no groove", or, "I don't like his tone!" lol

The kid is ridiculously talented. On the flip side, I've taught some kids who showed amazing potential , or more accurately, learned a few things really well very young, and never progressed much afterwards. You just never know.

The shame is that, the way the industry is going, by the time this kid can play in clubs, there might not be a live music scene left.

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1369429972' post='2089314']
OK, this is my lad, at 10 yr old and a week after he got his first bass. lofi recording but you get the gist.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=50bhCjzUwCo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D50bhCjzUwCo
[/quote]
Both ten year olds have outdone me as I struggle to play without looking at the fingerboard even after all these years!

To be fair though, I was playing grade 5 piano tunes by the age of 9 (along with half a million other 9 year olds).... that doesnt get youtube videos. He's very good.... doesnt mean he'll be a great. Listening to it theres about 5 parts to it.

Ok this beats everything and anything i have ever seen .. This kid is the groove !
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M72xJDS8ZrM[/media]

Make sure you are sitting down when he does his solo at around 2 mins .....

This made me realise why i should stick to drums......

Edited by Ktmman

Despite the fact that Angus Young was really 20 when that was filmed rather than 16 as they were telling the press at the time, it shows that having a good song to play is far more important than any amount of technical expertise no matter how old (or young) you are.

He was young (scooz pun) when he joined.

I think he's incerdible, seen a good few AC/DC gigs and he's soloing and on the go the whole gig through. I used to work in Hammersmith Odeon (as it was then) in the '70s and, with early radio 'lead' was taken through the audience on the ground floor on Bonn's shoulders, left to run around the foyer, up the stairs and round and round the bar and back out into the auditorium circle, soloing the whole time without missing a beat. Legend.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1369430793' post='2089323']
To be fair though, I was playing grade 5 piano tunes by the age of 9 (along with half a million other 9 year olds).... that doesnt get youtube videos. He's very good.... doesnt mean he'll be a great. Listening to it theres about 5 parts to it.
[/quote]

That may be true. But the kid's got natural timing and expression. He's clearly extremely musical and he feels what he's doing.

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1369424364' post='2089254']
Can't think of any smart comments re this....wish I'd have been that good though,

[/quote]

The only one i can think of is how obvious that clip was going to be slap bass before even clicking the link. He is good, no doubt, but it seems like almost every kid on YT is learning to play that from a very early age now.
Nothing stands out any anyone.