Why become a member? ×

Bass shopping in the SW region

sprocketflup

Even though I've spent most of my life in cities, I now live just outside Lyme Regis, where fire is still viewed with some suspicion. Subsequently, it has come as a little bit of a culture shock to find that there are precisely no decent sized musical instrument emporiums within a few miles radius that I can just walk into and release some pent up gas.

As you may imagine, I am quite sizeable by now, and am in need of some relief. In my wisdom, I have decided that next week I shall take a day off work and go trawl around and lick as many juicy basses as possible, but not being locally born and bred, I need to ask for a little help in finding such purveyors of fine woodwork.

So far, after a look-see on t'interweb I have found 3 shops in Exeter, namely Musicroom, Mansons and Project Music, and one in Taunton, Hartnoll Guitars. Can you lot recommend any more please

Chahs

Don't waste your petrol with going to the shop in Taunton, you'll be lucky if they have more than 4 basses.

As for Bridgwater, we have Strings & Things which is more or less the same.

PMT and Mickelburghs in Bristol are probably more for you.

FWIW, went into [url="http://www.harmonymusic.co.uk/"]Harmony Music[/url] in Dorchester this week.

On the website they claim to have "1000's of guitars". Well, er, they don't. Fair number of Indies, couple of guitar 'exotics', some cheapos, a few reasonably-priced secondhand small combos / rigs out the back which [i]might[/i] be of interest and the largest collection of 'pre-loved' tiny guitar practise amps I've ever seen in my life.

TBF, they had more than the average number of left-hookers, some interesting valve guitar combos, their s/h prices were fair and they seemed like jolly nice chaps. :)

By contrast, Absolute Music in Poole (!34,000 sq feet of retail space, yikes, yaroo!) is a bit of a disappointment. Fair amount of mostly new gear but spread [i]very[/i] thin over their guitar Mezzanine level. Prices nothing special, guitar and bass amp offering surprisingly scanty. Usual mix of guitars - Fenders,Gibbos, ESP's. Basses? Looked like about 25 or so of them, maybe.

I mean, it's marvellous that they've got a cafe and rehearsal studios and an in-house luthier, but it was all a bit - [i]limp?[/i] - compared to the PMT's, Guitar Guitars of this world. NOI, Messrs Absolute.

Edited by skankdelvar

We recently stayed near Axminster for a short break. There is a small music shop in the town, not a huge range. On the same trip I also visited Hartnoll in Taunton (very disappointing) and Harmony in Dorchester (always have at least a couple of interesting used items). In Salisbury, Sarum Guitars has gone, and the Music Room has the same old same old. Haven't been to Manson's 2 years but always worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1370585257' post='2102973']
I spent an hour in Absolute Music a few weeks ago being totally ignored. Walked out in disgust in the end and still nobody noticed me. Perhaps I'm the invisible man.
[/quote]

If they didn't see you Phil, they must all be seriously blind in that shop!! :D

But I do understand what you mean though, I've had that happen to me quite often in Nevada's in Pompey. Walk around with your wallet in your hand and suddenly they're tripping over themselves to help.