Why become a member? ×

The Commitments Fender Bass

Jazzneck

I cant understand why sinister people dont just work it out the other Gary Flecher style. ie, turn the Bass over, but dont change the strings over.

Most people, at least back in the 70s when i learned, worked it out for themselves anyway I think. You would certainly have more choice when looking for a Bass wouldnt you ?

I did play with a guitarist who did that for a short while, was hard trying to work out what open chords he was playing at first.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1368548300' post='2078373']
Jimmy Rabbitt to a young lad standing at a lift with a horse:

"You're not going to take him up the lift, are ye?"

"I have to, the stairs will kill 'im"

:-)
[/quote]

I'm friends with a guy who lived on that housing estate in Dublin for a few years, and he said that scene wasn't far from the truth.

• 9 years later...

If anyone is still interested I saw a bass today that was supposed to be in the film. Its an 83 JV Telecaster Bass according to the neck.   Looks like it was originally black then stripped and is now white.  There are holes where the tug bar was the other side and a hole in the bottom horn.  Dimarzio Jazz pickup.  I was googling to try and see if it was kosher and this thread came up.

• Like 2

On 14/05/2013 at 16:32, Damonjames said:

"What do you play?"
"I used to play football at school"
"I mean what instrument"
"I don't, I just saw everyone else lining up and I thought you were selling drugs!"

Classic film!

Agreed. Its about a band, its funny, its Irish, and some great music. The Commitments and Cabaret are two of my favorite films. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikel said:

Agreed. Its about a band, its funny, its Irish, and some great music. The Commitments and Cabaret are two of my favorite films. 

I think my favourite moment is when jimmy looks askance at the boy taking his pony in the lift and the boy says “I have to, the stairs would kill him”

• Like 1

On 26/11/2022 at 22:03, adamg67 said:

So what? The poster was offering some new and potentially interesting info. His post did more for me than yours did.

I’m constantly amazed at the ability of threads from long long ago to be re-animated. Not quite sure I deserved the rudeness 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric.C.Lapton said:

From what I can gather the lot was sold as a collection and went for the princely sum of £3,300 

98500038-8E5B-4C97-BC0A-2457D79C9668.thumb.jpeg.f09e416591f4984e47a8181969a2ec54.jpeg

it was 1992 though, you could get a Wal down the pub for £50 off some hard up muso 😂🤣

oh for hindsight… 

In 1995 a bloke at a jam night offered me his Wal for 500 quid because he wanted to buy a motorbike. Being the stupid Indie kid I was at the time, I turned him down because I didn't like the look of them back then 🤦

If you like The Commitments, check out a more recent Irish film called Sing Street. Set in the 80s, lots of New Romantic-influenced music, great young cast, with a few notable older cast members like The Commitments' Maria Doyle Kennedy, Jack Reynor and Aidan Gillan.

Lots of fun, and some great tunes. And it'll make you never want to set foot in an Irish Catholic school! :D