Why become a member? ×

Leads/cables

jonunders

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368081660' post='2072838']
Really!? I'll need to get one and try it out. Maybe I'll review it :D Any ideas on price?
[/quote]

As per his website, [url="http://www.rock-wire.uk.com/:"]http://www.rock-wire.uk.co.uk[/url]
Neutrik Right-angle Jack £6.00
Neutrik Straight Jack £6.00
Neutrik Straight SILENT Jack £8.50
Neutrik Right-angle SILENT Jack £10.50
Klotz AC110 Cable, per metre £2.00
available in Black only
Work out a price, for example Klotz Right-angle to Straight 3 metres in length
£6.00 + £6.00 + (3 x £2.00 = £18.00 Please email for post & packing rates

Amazingly good quality leads.

Edited by Lozz196

I always buy decent cables. What`s the point in spending lots of cash on a guitar and amp and then getting cheap cables? I have a few Award Session cables I bought about 4 years ago and they have never let me down even though I have the habbit of standing on them when playing.

I also have a Bullet 30 foot curly lead for a bit of retro madness!

I once went on a stag do with a whole load of scientists - one of whom had just completed some research for a big electronics manufacturer. It was about CD players (it was back in the day). He concluded that the digital signal coming from a range of CD players was absolutely identical. The signal fed to the amplifier was not improved and diminished depending on whether you had spend virtually nothing or a king's ransom on a CD player.

However, he said he chuckled when he read a "blind test" review in top selling audio magazine which, using the same players, the audio "experts" could award one CD player two stars for sound quality and another five stars.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1368088163' post='2072935']So, if you're running good gear, be safe and get the best cables you can for sensible money. I use OBBM's cables, because they are good quality and they won’t break the bank.[/quote]

This. It's the old ha'porth of tar argument isn't it? How many of us own thousands of pounds worth of amplification and basses, but scrimp on the cheap items like strings, picks, straps and leads!?

False economy. OK, maybe there is no real sonic difference between crap speaker cable and OBBM's stuff. But I'd rather not take that chance for the sake of an extra tenner here and there.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1368110675' post='2073339']
But I'd rather not take that chance for the sake of an extra tenner here and there.
[/quote]

Quite. And I'd say there is a [i]huge[/i] difference between the most crap speaker cables and obbm's speaker cables... for one thing crap speaker cables are thin - obbm's speaker cables are 4mm core, which is very important for bass - it's all about getting maximum current from amp to cab, and the difference is measurable).

[size=4]I have many obbm cables of different types, some of which I've had for years - and NOT ONE has ever gone tits-up. :)[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1368058948' post='2072774']
You don't need to spend any more than this on instrument cables: [url="http://www.rock-wire.uk.com/"]http://www.rock-wire.uk.com/[/url]

And I would say that quality speaker cables [i]do [/i]make a big difference to your sound.
Instrument cables less so.
[/quote]

Bang on mate. Rock Wire cables are what I use now too, amazing quality and at an excellent price, made by our own obbm (Dave Polglaze) who is the same kind of very helpful gent as John East.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1368104514' post='2073246']
As per his website, [url="http://www.rock-wire.uk.com/:"]http://www.rock-wire.uk.co.uk[/url]
Neutrik Right-angle Jack £6.00
Neutrik Straight Jack £6.00
Neutrik Straight SILENT Jack £8.50
Neutrik Right-angle SILENT Jack £10.50
Klotz AC110 Cable, per metre £2.00
available in Black only
Work out a price, for example Klotz Right-angle to Straight 3 metres in length
£6.00 + £6.00 + (3 x £2.00 = £18.00 Please email for post & packing rates

Amazingly good quality leads.
[/quote]

Yes, i've since had a look. I'll maybe buy a couple if and when I have a few spare bob. How many foot would 2 metres be? 6' 4"?

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1368120827' post='2073524']
Every time you play your bass and don't use OBBM's cables, a kitten dies.

That is all you need to know about cables.
[/quote]

At least i'm feeding the poor in eastern Asia when I don't use OBBM :D

The problem with thin cables is not so much resistance - the cable's resistance will be negligible compared to the input impedance of an amp. The real problem is capacitance, especially with long cables, and it will cause a reduction of top end response.

The manufacturers of raw cable normally list this spec for their cables, but usually not so for finished/assembled instrument cables.

Edited by dincz

I spent £20 on a "guarenteed for life" American cable some 15 years ago, can't remember any details about it or even where I brought it so couldn't claim anything if it did fail but to be fair 15 years on and it still works perfectly I think I got my monies worth out of it and it did exactly what it said on the tin

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1368124675' post='2073591']
The problem with thin cables is not so much resistance - the cable's resistance will be negligible compared to the input impedance of an amp. The real problem is capacitance, especially with long cables, and it will cause a reduction of top end response.
[/quote]

+1
There are SO many variables in cable construction.
Resistance
Inductance
Capacitance
Skin effect
Strand to stand conduction
Geometry
Shielding
Dielectric
Connectors
Etc.

Some may have a discernable effect. Some may not.
The only way to minimise the interaction between cable and signal is to reduce the amount of cable to to the minimum length that is practically possible for the application in question. The added bonus is that shorter cables are cheaper!

I'm still using some cables a mate gave me when he gave up guitar. They are Whirlwind branded, and are visually identical to some Fender branded cables. They are now nearly 20 years old, and I've done every gig, practice, rehearsal and recording using them.

I don't foresee needing any cables in the immediate future...

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1368126495' post='2073617']
I spent £20 on a "guarenteed for life" American cable some 15 years ago, can't remember any details about it or even where I brought it so couldn't claim anything if it did fail but to be fair 15 years on and it still works perfectly I think I got my monies worth out of it and it did exactly what it said on the tin
[/quote]

Bingo! Who could moan about a £20 lead lasting 15 years? Although, 15 years ago, £20 for a lead was crazy money! :D

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1368127617' post='2073650']
Bullet curly lead from bass to amp then it doesn't matter what size the stage is, it's covered.
OBBM for EVERYTHING else.
[/quote]

Yes, but then you've made a very long cable that's coiled up, instead of a slightly long lead that's not coiled up.

Your point? :scratch_one-s_head:
Bullet are top class leads, based on the 70's curly lead. If you stand next to your amp, they just hang down from bass and go up to amp.
You move 30 feet from your amp and they uncurl. To be honest. with 500/600 watts of decent amp, EQ and cab I think you can adjust to compensate for any perceived signal weakening.
Personally I got pissed off with tripping over another 20 feet of cable lying on the stage and reverted to the style of lead I used in my youth.

Edited by karlfer

Maybe I have cloth ears, but I've only noticed cables affecting the sound if they're long (6m and upwards), curly or the really cheap skinny ones with moulded plugs. Longer or curly ones do reduce the highs a little, in much the same way as turning down a passive tone control a touch. If you're the sort who's going to cut that treble somewhere in the chain anyway, I can see how that might be no problem. I do see the point of going for the higher quality cables for reliability though. I've had several jack plugs die on me, but never the better Neutrik ones.