Why become a member? ×

Bad news for Lakland string lovers

wateroftyne

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1368269790' post='2075125']
Sorry but I thought my replies were crystal clear :D
[/quote]

Does the shipping company participate in a carbon exchange programme? Was the shipment's packaging recycleable? Did the van driver espouse 'green' driving techniques - gentle acceleration, 'predictive' braking?

If not, your complicity in such outrageous unsustainability borders on the criminally negligent.

J'accuse! :angry:

Honestly, I just wanted to know if he paid UK VAT when the package arrived in the UK. I didn't see it written anywhere so I asked. I'm not a mind reader, and I don't think I'm stupid or incompetent for asking either. If somebody gets made fun of for asking a genuine question, I don't know what to say, it makes me a bit depressed.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368272100' post='2075146']
If somebody gets made fun of for asking a genuine question, I don't know what to say, it makes me a bit depressed.
[/quote]

Then what are you doing on a public forum? That's a genuine question, by the way... ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1368273490' post='2075165']
Then what are you doing on a public forum? That's a genuine question, by the way... ;)
[/quote]

I thought we were talking about strings and importing them from other countries, not the validity of somebodies question, or how clear a response is to the question.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368273814' post='2075171']I thought we were talking about strings and importing them from other countries, not the validity of somebodies question, or how clear a response is to the question.[/quote]

I think we're done with the string question, aren't we? [size=4]And my comment wasn't entirely serious (as usual), hence the '[/size] ;)[size=4]'[/size]

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368268765' post='2075097']
A penny saved is a penny earned. It's not a cheap hobby, which is all the more reason to save money where possible.
[/quote]

Rubbish. He like the strings and nothing compares to them. Just pay the money and get what you want rather than compromising.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1368274946' post='2075188']
Rubbish. He like the strings and nothing compares to them. Just pay the money and get what you want rather than compromising.
[/quote]

How is trying to save some money on strings compromising? He'll have the same strings at a cheaper price if he can get them. That's not compromising, that's good sense. A penny saved really is a penny earned, and that's a mantra you could literally take to the bank.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368277351' post='2075205']
... A penny saved really is a penny earned ...
[/quote]

For you maybe, but that extra penny you got is an extra penny that someone else didn't get. In that sense, it's a zero-sum game.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1368278957' post='2075228']
For you maybe, but that extra penny you got is an extra penny that someone else didn't get. In that sense, it's a zero-sum game.
[/quote]

No. That's a stupid argument. Being able to get hold of these strings cheaply in the UK will only mean more sales of them. So in a sense, everyone benefits.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368277351' post='2075205']
How is trying to save some money on strings compromising? He'll have the same strings at a cheaper price if he can get them. That's not compromising, that's good sense. A penny saved really is a penny earned, and that's a mantra you could literally take to the bank.
[/quote]

He's choosing not to buy his favourite strings and to buy ones that he doesn't like as much because of a $12 + import duty + vat shipping charge. He can't get the strings without paying this small extra amount of money. That's not economy, that's a compromise.

My point: in the context of all the other money you spend on this hobby, in context of the good times we have with this hobby, for that small amount of money just buy the strings you want.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1368440639' post='2076977']
He's choosing not to buy his favourite strings and to buy ones that he doesn't like as much because of a $12 + import duty + vat shipping charge. He can't get the strings without paying this small extra amount of money. That's not economy, that's a compromise.

My point: in the context of all the other money you spend on this hobby, in context of the good times we have with this hobby, for that small amount of money just buy the strings you want.
[/quote]

Who's to say that he can afford the extra money, or even deems the strings worth the extra money? A lot of my favourite things are inexpensive, but if there was a sudden rise in price of them, I wouldn't get it. Might be my favourite, but that doesn't mean they are worth any amount of money. Buying a slightly cheaper, almost identical set of strings isn't really a compromise, just a way to get the same sound for less money, which is good sense.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1368275576' post='2075193']
This thread is like a microcosm of Basschat at it's worst.
[/quote]

It's certainly heading that way. Tie up your high horses here....!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368442217' post='2076995']
Who's to say that he can afford the extra money, or even deems the strings worth the extra money? A lot of my favourite things are inexpensive, but if there was a sudden rise in price of them, I wouldn't get it. Might be my favourite, but that doesn't mean they are worth any amount of money. Buying a slightly cheaper, almost identical set of strings isn't really a compromise, just a way to get the same sound for less money, which is good sense.
[/quote]

Are you trolling me?

I haven't read all this thread, so I'm sorry if this has already been said.
The postage cost is not taken into account when charging customs duty, VAT etc.
Any item valued at less than £15.00 GBP is exempt from duty whatever the postage cost.
Anything above that value may or may not be charged duty - low value items are selected randomly.

This information was including with the last parcel of GHS flatwound strings from the USA that I paid duty on.
I have never paid duty on single packs.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1368445494' post='2077061']
Are you trolling me?
[/quote]

Nope, I'm playing devils advocate to a certain extent though. A penny saved is a penny earned is a great philosophy. If there was some way to get the thing that you want for less money, why would you spend more than you have to? Basically, what you said was "You want them, just buy them, you probably have a few grands worth of gear", which is a pretty poor argument in my book. It's a bit like only getting one quote on new windows for your house, or not negotiating a deal for it. The house is worth a lot more than the glazing, so why not just pay whatever they want you to?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368447360' post='2077103']
Nope, I'm playing devils advocate to a certain extent though. A penny saved is a penny earned is a great philosophy. If there was some way to get the thing that you want for less money, why would you spend more than you have to? Basically, what you said was "You want them, just buy them, you probably have a few grands worth of gear", which is a pretty poor argument in my book. It's a bit like only getting one quote on new windows for your house, or not negotiating a deal for it. The house is worth a lot more than the glazing, so why not just pay whatever they want you to?
[/quote]

He can't get them any other way than paying the money.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1368449159' post='2077132']
He can't get them any other way than paying the money.
[/quote]

Yes, but they offer them to all their suppliers in the UK. Find a supplier near you, and ask them to get a set in. Done. Simples. Bound to save on the postage at least.