Why become a member? ×

The Creative Process

If "song" is allowed to mean "any type of composition", then:
It totally depends.
I night start with just a chord or an interval, and "build the road as I walk on it".
Other times, I might develop and repeat something in my head long enough so I've made myself a picture of the whole thing that I then might have a chance of possibly being able to write down.

Ideas are never a problem (as in that gazillions of them pop up every day), and it doesn't matter what style or where I start (Top Down approach, or Element Commands Structure approach), but finishing the demn thing is always [b]very[/b] time-demanding if I write every note down, which is near always.

best,
bert

I've written 2 songs in my 66 years, both just over a year ago.

The first was going around in my head for months. I have no idea where it came from, it just appeared. It's a bit Dire Staits-ish - I was listening to Mark Kopfler's 'Ragpicker's Dream' at the time.

The other was for my blues band to play & was much more contrived (reached top 50 in Soundclick, though - a wee bit chuffed there) - once I got the first line, the rest came easily. Decided to make the chord format the same as 'Little Red Rooster' just to be a bit different.

Soundclick address in my sig if you're curious.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

I start with a lyrical hook and a draft tempo / rhythm to support it (all in the head). Write some lyrics around the hook to make a chorus. Write some verse lyrics. Order them around the choruses. Decide if the song needs a bridge or a change somewhere.

Think of a basic melody for the hook / chorus. Think of a melody for the verses that complements the hook but doesn't copy. Finally, pick up an acoustic guitar and sort some chords to support all this.

Write the thing out as a lyric sheet with chords or [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_number_system"]Nashville notation[/url] over the top. Play it a few times, get bored, put it in the 'song folder' on the shelf and forget all about it.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

Edited by skankdelvar

My creative process starts with picture on the monthly composition thread :blush:

I have got loads of song writing ideas and a few lyrics that have been written at times that I needed to write them, but they will always remain that way I guess , but give me a reason to make it happen , I can normally do something.

It's an odd thing for me. And it's difficult to explain without sounding like a complete tw@t or a madman, but here goes...

I have music running in my head almost constantly. Like tinnitus. It's always there - it just gets louder if I stop and think about it.

I did some Googling into it once, but stopped when I read that it can be linked to the same area(s) of the brain that are responsible for schizophrenia: voices in ones head (not a split personality, as it's often confused). There are times when I literally have to scribble something down, or hum a ditty into my phone just to 'exorcise' myself of it.

Which all probably sounds a bit crazy, but that's how it goes for me. The upside is that I've never (yet) suffered from a creative block. Quite the opposite - I get frustrated by not having enough time to bring each idea to fruition.

So for me it's less of a creative process and more a musical illness! Though not one I necessarily 'suffer' from :)

I don`t write songs now, and tend to wait until a song idea has been formed before writing basslines, as I prefer to fit what the song needs rather than force something in that I`ve written prior.

However when I was writing, it would be riff first - I wrote on guitar - then base the song around the riff.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367505771' post='2066104']
It's an odd thing for me. And it's difficult to explain without sounding like a complete tw@t or a madman, but here goes...

I have music running in my head almost constantly. Like tinnitus. It's always there - it just gets louder if I stop and think about it.

I did some Googling into it once, but stopped when I read that it can be linked to the same area(s) of the brain that are responsible for schizophrenia: voices in ones head (not a split personality, as it's often confused). There are times when I literally have to scribble something down, or hum a ditty into my phone just to 'exorcise' myself of it.

Which all probably sounds a bit crazy, but that's how it goes for me. The upside is that I've never (yet) suffered from a creative block. Quite the opposite - I get frustrated by not having enough time to bring each idea to fruition.

So for me it's less of a creative process and more a musical illness! Though not one I necessarily 'suffer' from :)
[/quote]

Oh, I get this, but most of it's rubbish and I don't want to use it. :)
So I alternately have blocks (when something I have been putting together won't stop and isn't good enough to use), and also no bits that go together, and can never finish anything I start as by the time I've got round to recording it, something more interesting is going on in my head.

I thought it was just because I was a bit peculiar in the head.
Keeps me awake at nights as well, dum dum dum dddddddd da da da dummmmm all night

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1367508515' post='2066177']
Oh, I get this, but most of it's rubbish and I don't want to use it. :)
So I alternately have blocks (when something I have been putting together won't stop and isn't good enough to use), and also no bits that go together, and can never finish anything I start as by the time I've got round to recording it, something more interesting is going on in my head.

I thought it was just because I was a bit peculiar in the head.
Keeps me awake at nights as well, dum dum dum dddddddd da da da dummmmm all night
[/quote]

Sounds like you and I should set up some kind of asylum for afflicted musicians, Dave. Or maybe one for our wives!? :D

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1367439082' post='2065751']
How does your's work?, Do you get a sudden burst when writing songs? Does it take time?
[/quote]

I find it easier when i'm already warm up and ready, if you know what I mean? Sometimes, that could take 20 minutes, but it could take a few hours, which I rarely spend in one sitting. If i'm playing with other people, it's a lot easier. I find it difficult to bring something in to a jam that's already happening, especially as the bassist, but that's probably my inexperience. The best I can usually do is work in a pentatonic scale. But this is all just filler to my response really.

I'm sure most of us get something stuck in our heads. That happens to me. It normally happens when i'm doing something else. Creating music to me is like a watched kettle, it never boils. You have to walk away from it and forget about it to come up with the good stuff (well, I do anyway). As a bassist, i'm really crap at writing lines, but as a rhythm guitarist, I think i'm actually quite good at making up chord progressions, and the song that I am working on at the minute is quite a hook, and i've only written the lyrics and chord progression of the chorus! It's now trying to make the rest of the song live up to that standard. It's a real pain in the arse, but nobody ever said I wasn't a determined man :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367505771' post='2066104']

[/quote]

Without reading your post, I pretty much said the same thing in my first reply :D You're quite lucky that you come up with so many good ideas, and it actually amazes me that you aren't a professional musician. How many times have you won the comp comp now? :) I think of so many ideas, but like Dave, throw most of them out as rubbish. The ones that I think are good, I'll take a quick video. If I still like it, i'll do a very rough recording, almost like a pre-demo kind of thing, just to hear it. Nothing fancy, normally just the little mic on my laptop into garageband (you can guess the quality).

Now that i'm off my head on codeine, maybe i'll come up with better ideas :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367511279' post='2066244']You're quite lucky that you come up with so many good ideas, and it actually amazes me that you aren't a professional musician.[/quote]

Thanks Milty, I'm super-flattered that you think that :blush:

I should say that I also put in lots of hard graft... albeit enjoyable hard graft! I read lots about music production; I enjoy geeking out and learning how to use tech in new ways; I do lots of critical listening to different genres; and I put in plenty of hours. Typically 2-3 days minimum per track, from start to finish, scattered here and there during late evenings, early mornings and weekends throughout each month (snatching opportunities where I can around family stuff!).

So while I certainly strike upon ideas quickly and creatively, the task of turning them into full compositions is equally a technical and time-consuming one. At least for me it is.

But anyway, cheers for the kind words mate! I've had my confidence massively boosted since I joined Basschat a few years ago. Can't thank y'all enough for that.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367512883' post='2066276']
Thanks Milty, I'm super-flattered that you think that :blush:

I should say that I also put in lots of hard graft... albeit enjoyable hard graft! I read lots about music production; I enjoy geeking out and learning how to use tech in new ways; I do lots of critical listening to different genres; and I put in plenty of hours. Typically 2-3 days minimum per track, from start to finish, scattered here and there during late evenings, early mornings and weekends throughout each month (snatching opportunities where I can around family stuff!).

So while I certainly strike upon ideas quickly and creatively, the task of turning them into full compositions is equally a technical and time-consuming one. At least for me it is.

But anyway, cheers for the kind words mate! I've had my confidence massively boosted since I joined Basschat a few years ago. Can't thank y'all enough for that.
[/quote]

Yes, but all that time spent recording the song is only for the sake of letting the likes of me, who doesn't live down the road, hear it. It doesn't have much to do with your creative ability solely as a musician I reckon.

I'm off now to see if the comp comp photo inspires me in any way :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367510329' post='2066226']
Sounds like you and I should set up some kind of asylum for afflicted musicians, Dave. Or maybe one for our wives!? :D
[/quote]

Yep, definitely, I often get a "what did you say?" followed by me having to say "nothing, just humming..."

It is nice to have a permanent soundtrack when you're out and about. I haven't used a walkman/mp3 player with headphones when I'm out for years and years and years.

I think the ideas can come reasonaly quickly but, like someone said, its 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. I get a melody or chored sequence or some other concept going (a riff, a theme, a rhythmic idea etc) and then, like clay, start moulding it. The first bit is easy, the second bit is where the real work takes place. Sometimes it comes easily, sometimes it is like pulling teeth. I have read a lot about composing and most composers say the same. Some things just land in your lap, other things take forever to come together.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1367571544' post='2066986']
I think the ideas can come reasonaly quickly but, like someone said, its 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. I get a melody or chored sequence or some other concept going (a riff, a theme, a rhythmic idea etc) and then, like clay, start moulding it. The first bit is easy, the second bit is where the real work takes place. Sometimes it comes easily, sometimes it is like pulling teeth. I have read a lot about composing and most composers say the same. Some things just land in your lap, other things take forever to come together.
[/quote]

I have only just started to record , pretty much for the BC competition , and thus someone else provides the clue for the inspiration bit :blush: so its 99.9 % perspiration for me :rolleyes: