Why become a member? ×

May Composition Competition

charic

I'm not going to even attempt jazz in a conventional sense (if jazz has any conventions? Maybe that's an oxymoron). If I did it would be a poor imitation.

So I'm probably going to approach it with broader strokes and just aim for something 'jazzy' and 'urban'... once I've decided on what those words mean ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367449629' post='2065972']
aim for something 'jazzy' and 'urban'... once I've decided on what those words mean ;)
[/quote]

Ah, I think you will be sticking a pin in the dictionary a few times , listing the words you pick, then rapping them with a few friends alternately.......

at a random time signature :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1367475924' post='2066049']
Thump..... ( Bilbo's head hitting the desk)
[/quote]

Interesting idea for the percussion. Where are you planning on finding a similar method for the hihat though?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1367475924' post='2066049']
Thump..... ( Bilbo's head hitting the desk)
[/quote]

Up all night writing? :ph34r:

I'm gonna try something a little different for this one & I'm looking forward to hearing what y'all come up with.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1367478557' post='2066069']
Interesting idea for the percussion. Where are you planning on finding a similar method for the hihat though?
[/quote]

[Arm slides & knocks cup off table]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1367475924' post='2066049']Thump..... ( Bilbo's head hitting the desk)[/quote]

I'm at work and that made me grin so wide I had to explain myself :lol:

I could throw in some comment about Moondance, as is the tradition, but I worry that would probably finish you off.

Bear with us, Bilbo... and keep taking the happy pills until the concussion subsides.

I'm not sure I even want to attempt jazz, as Bilbo jazz is about feel and getting a jazz feel out of VST's is going to be an exercise in futility, so I'll probably focus more on the second picture, but the black and gold colouring of the first one does conjure some sounds in my noggin, so hopefully I'll get the vibe right.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1367508155' post='2066167']
i might do "anti jazz" but i am yet to work out what that is yet
[/quote]

So long as it's not 'aunty jazz' you'll be fine mate :D

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1367508946' post='2066188']might just kidnapp you and get you to do it[/quote]

I'm picturing the movie version of Misery, by Stephen King, with you as Kathy Bates and... actually it's probably best if I stop right there :blink: :lol:

If I could play guitar I'd be doing some sort of 'Delta' Blues track but I don't so..

May have to leave it this month as assignments and gigs with Uni must take precedence but hopefully next month I may have a track to enter.

Good luck guys :)

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1367595741' post='2067416']
I have something bubbling too, everything hinges on getting my daughter to sing it tho :unsure:
[/quote]

I have might have something Buble-ing as it happens :P

My singer of first call is my daughter , but she was too embarassed to contribute to the jiggy bugs theme

I thought I had something for this, but then I remembered my lack of recording equipment and ability, my lack of composition ability, and my general lack of able-bodiness recently. Maybe i'll be able to make something just in Logic with my tiny keyboard. Who knows? :D

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1367668450' post='2068154']I'm going to try to get something in for this, been too busy for the last couple. LIke the pics[/quote]

Good to hear Nige... It's been too long, we've missed ya! :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367723967' post='2068755']Maybe i'll be able to make something just in Logic with my tiny keyboard. Who knows?[/quote]

Stick with it Milty and don't get put off by lack of gear and/or learning curves with Logic. You're a smart cookie and you'll get your head around it in no time ;)

Logic is a great system. You have everything you need right there to create superb-sounding music using just your computer keyboard if need be. And you have a mic - probably a condenser, right? That can be used to record a vocal, a bassline and even 'found sounds' around the house.

What really helped me when I got started was just keeping things very simple. Yes, that is a stupidly obvious thing to say! But it's easy to get lost and daunted by the vast array of features and plug-ins at your fingertips with something like Logic.

Also don't be afraid to invent your own workarounds... There's are lots of different ways to use each music software - and most of the time there's not one single ' right way' - so play around and improvise (very apt this month!). And ask questions here. Plenty of folks happy to help.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367750912' post='2068979']
You're a smart cookie and you'll get your head around it in no time ;)
[/quote]

Mmmm... Cookies :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367750912' post='2068979']
Logic is a great system. You have everything you need right there to create superb-sounding music using just your computer keyboard if need be. And you have a mic - probably a condenser, right? That can be used to record a vocal, a bassline and even 'found sounds' around the house.
[/quote]

Just the mic on this laptop, which happens to be pretty crap.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367766741' post='2069199']Just the mic on this laptop, which happens to be pretty crap.[/quote]

Ah... is that what you use for your video blogs? Sounds ok if so but not suited for instruments. As a bare minimum I'd recommend a simple general-purpose condenser mic (I use a cheap Behringer C-1) and an audio interface to hook up the mic and your bass/other instruments to your computer (Focusrite Saffire 6 is good value for money). A budget of £130 or less would cover it if wisely spent.

In the meantime, don't underestimate Logic! You can make complete tracks using just that - lots of people do - and learning to programme virtual instruments is a handy skill.

Where there's a will... etc ;)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1367767004' post='2069200']I've wrote a song... but it's no longer related to the pictures in any way :lol:[/quote]

Haha, no matter mate! Good to hear you've been noodling away at something. I've got an idea for how I want mine to sound but I'm gonna need to collaborate with someone on it... Just waiting to hear back on that before I make a start.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367772198' post='2069270']
Ah... is that what you use for your video blogs? Sounds ok if so but not suited for instruments. As a bare minimum I'd recommend a simple general-purpose condenser mic (I use a cheap Behringer C-1) and an audio interface to hook up the mic and your bass/other instruments to your computer (Focusrite Saffire 6 is good value for money). A budget of £130 or less would cover it if wisely spent.

In the meantime, don't underestimate Logic! You can make complete tracks using just that - lots of people do - and learning to programme virtual instruments is a handy skill.

Where there's a will... etc ;)
[/quote]

I'll need to see what I can do :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367772198' post='2069270']
[/quote]

People write complete Film &TV scores in it..... :lol: [It's terrific for scoring to Picture/Video]
But i know what you mean mate. :D

Just doing the 30 day demo of Digital Performer 8 for windows.
Good grief, the PDF is like War & Peace - Pretty impressive DAW.

Garry

Edited by lowdown