Why become a member? ×

May Composition Competition

charic

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1367775445' post='2069329']
People write complete Film &TV scores in it..... :lol: [It's terrific for scoring to Picture/Video]
But i know what you mean mate. :D

Just doing the 30 day demo of Digital Performer 8 for windows.
Good grief, the PDF is like War & Peace - Pretty impressive DAW.

Garry
[/quote]

:D yeah... I was just trying to convince Milty that he can do plenty with Logic without the need to worry about audio interfaces, mics, etc. I don't use it myself (I've tinkered with it), but there's an old joke about agnostic music-makers using Reason and Logic. Yeah, terrible pun I know.

Digital Performer looks like a beast and is getting good reviews. Let us know how you get on with it.

I have something down now , I am unsure whether it needs vocal embellishment or not , but it needs a title , to point the listener to the correct vibe tying the pictures in more than anything , but 'Doo Wap Dandelions in Dyfed' , doesnt really do it , but 'Hypericum of Harlem' ..........Hmmmmm.

Haha, nice one Lurks! Bilbo will appreciate the 'Doo Wap' reference, I'm sure :lol:

Mine's underway… so far so good. The vibe is sort of jazzy, urban, sunny, upbeat. Partly inspired by the recent spell of good weather; hence likely to evolve into doom metal if our so-called summer turns to rain!

I've managed to collaborate with someone on the vocal as it's a style I have no hope on earth of doing convincingly myself. Got a nice and simple arrangement, but I need to practice the bassline before I try recording anything. All good fun.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367921363' post='2070937']
agnostic music-makers using Reason and Logic.
[/quote]

Haha! Promptly Facebooked :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367921363' post='2070937']
:D yeah... I was just trying to convince Milty that he can do plenty with Logic without the need to worry about audio interfaces, mics, etc. I don't use it myself (I've tinkered with it), but there's an old joke about agnostic music-makers using Reason and Logic. Yeah, terrible pun I know.
[/quote]

Yeah, i'm getting to grips with the midi functions, not sure I would be competent enough yet though to make a full composition in it yet though. I'm making a drum track in it (which you know) for a cover i'm going to do. I still have to complete the mix comp too. I could tell you i'll enter next months, but that likely won't hold much weight. (In reality, i'm the biggest procrastinator you've ever seen) :D

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1368096480' post='2073068']i really want to do something this month... but i can't find the time or motivation :([/quote]

That's a shame Rob. Are the pictures not sparking your creative fires this month?

There's still plenty of opportunity to get something done. I'm guessing the deadline will be Friday 24th. But heh, no pressure - if you ain't got time, don't do the crime! Or something like that.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368067926' post='2072788']Haha! Promptly Facebooked[/quote]

:D I can't actually claim credit for the pun... in fact you can buy a T-shirt of it here:

http://boyinaband.bigcartel.com/product/i-m-an-atheist-producer-i-use-logic-and-reason-t-shirt

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1368103518' post='2073217']
That's a shame Rob. Are the pictures not sparking your creative fires this month?

There's still plenty of opportunity to get something done. I'm guessing the deadline will be Friday 24th. But heh, no pressure - if you ain't got time, don't do the crime! Or something like that.
[/quote]

its not the pictures as such... ive just lost my mojo

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1368106705' post='2073278']its not the pictures as such... ive just lost my mojo[/quote]

No problem Rob, here's some I found for you! :D

[size=3](^when I was a kid I used to think they were called 'orow'... I was special like that)[/size]

Seriously though, don't worry about it. We all have months when we're bristling with ideas and others when things dry up a little. I could bang on about different methods of creative thinking, but you don't need advice from me as I know you're a dab hand at songwriting!

Just give it time mate. Such things always happen in waves. Maybe you're just a bit burnt out from that one-song-a-week project? That sounded like one helluva demanding task by anyone's standards!

Soundcloud is down :(

I uploaded my entry , first in B) , but I am not sure if it saved or not , and I cant get on to the site now .

Ah well , I'll suss it later I guess , BTW are you allowed more than one entry in any month :o

ED to add

Its back up now , so here's mine for the month

[url="https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/taraxicum-graffitigo"]Taraxicum Graffitigo [/url]

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1368129986' post='2073693']...are you allowed more than one entry [/quote]

Hey Lurks, that's just plain greedy! Don't see why not though? Go for it.

Away from my 'puter at the moment (using phone) but will check out your track next chance I get. Well done for being first in! That accolade is normally Bilbo's ;)

I got quite a way along with my idea/tune last night - I used Live 9 to get the ideas down as it's great for getting things down quickly and I have to say the new audio-to-MIDI conversion is pretty impressive - in a nutshell you drag an audio file (a WAV etc) to a MIDI channel and it then asks if you want to convert it to drums, harmony or melody - you choose the one you want, it then converts it in a few seconds and then bang, it's ready to use with either a soft synth or drum module... damn cool.

So I've got the bones of the track now and I'm moving over into Logic to spruce it up and bang the f*cker into shape - I find editing and arranging tracks in Logic really useful - typically once I get going I have a load of ideas and it's just putting them in the right order that can make or break the track... I want to take my time on this one so probably won't be posting anything until next week - but I seem to have gone a bit African on this track... oh well

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1368536651' post='2078118']I got quite a way along with my idea/tune last... I seem to have gone a bit African on this track...[/quote]

Sounds cool Mike! I like the idea of something African... look forward to hearing it.

Mine has ended up being a sort of acid jazz / jazzy hip hop number. I've collaborated with someone on the vocal which has meant a lot more effort in to'ing and fro'ing, but it's been great fun. I have the basic arrangement down and now need to knock it into shape production-wise...

PS: the audio-to-MIDI conversion in Live sounds very useful. I think I need to demo it and see for myself. I could think of plenty of uses for that! (it sounds a bit like Melodyne).

----------
PPS: Lurks, if you're reading this, I like your track! Well done for kicking things off this month. The walking bassline is cool and the mix sounds good overall (your mixes seem to be coming on in leaps each month). Good work.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1368551696' post='2078458']Cheers Paul , I try, but I am starting by attempting to keep it simple and trying at least 1 technique each time I open up Reaper [/quote]

That's exactly how I like to learn too! :) Always try something new and different in each track.

Honestly mate, it really shows in your compositions and mixes. Proof in the pudding, etc (mmm... pudding).

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1368619851' post='2079234']
im going to have a go at something tonight, if it don't work, im done for the month
[/quote]

Horrible when you get stuck in 'Brain don't work' groove, i feel for you.

Not sure if this will help you.
But when i got like that, i spent about a week setting up projects templates in my DAW.
IE - Cinematic/Orchestral, Electronic/Dance etc, Pop/Rock, Jazz etc, and one with just Piano only...
You might have about 40/50 MIDI tracks with long notes/short notes, articulations etc and it takes about
three or four minutes to load up - But everything is at hand, you are not spending ages wandering about looking for sounds,
'does this fit, does that fit', and all that time wasting stuff. You just get on with writing notes.

Another way, just record little four bar motifs/themes [On Bass, Guitar, Keys or whatever] Move onto some more.
Come back at another time, have a listen and stich some things together that you done earlier. until you got some kind arrangement.
When you have a tune/song of about a couple of minutes, you have some kind of framework to work to.
It's amazing how you then think 'i will change this bit, add to that bit' and ideas start flowing, about notes and sounds.

It's easy to think i will delete this/that and start again because i don't like it - Keep it all !,
have a listen at a later day, you usually change your opinion after listening again in the future.

Garry