Why become a member? ×

Signature guitars

Thunderbird

Off of the top of my head...

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367225168' post='2062647']
Mike Dirnt - Green Day - If you don't know them most mainstream song "American Idiot"
Mikey Way - My Chemical Romance - If you don't know them most mainstream song "Welcome to the black parade"
Nate Mendel - Foo Fighters - "All my life"/"Everlong"
Mark Hoppus - Blink 182 - "All the small things"
Tom Araya - Slayer - Raining Blood
Alex Webster - Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face
[/quote]

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367225168' post='2062647']
While i am familiar with the work of Bob Glaub
[/quote]

The best I've found is a list of musicians he's played with (an impressive list at that), so I may be familiar with his work... what are the more famous tunes he's played on?

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1367156139' post='2061828']
Yeah I saw that cool bass :) he also had a sig peavey zodiac I think and that was about £300 if I am correct bet it wasn't like the one he played live tho.
[/quote]

Apparently it's exactly the same, but I can't confirm. They're incredible basses though! Definitely the best sounding one I own :)

I've got a few 'signature' guitars.
Vintage 'Geoff Whitehorn'. I know Geoff and the Signature guitar he used was stock. It's a great sounding strat copy
Epiphone Jack Casady. Great looking, plays great but not yet gigged.
I have a Paul Reed Smith 'signature series guitar' 1000 made and hand signed by Paul himself. Very nice nut it lives under the bed these days.
Gibson 'Slash AFD'. I bought this becaue I thought it was a ltd piece of 600, then they made some more. Doesn't matter as it's the best Les Paul I've got (and I've got 3 others) It's my 'goto' guitar for my pub band.

Did have a Fender 'Sting' bass, for my Police tribute and it was an excellent bass but I sold it to fund my Bravewood replica of Sting's #1 bass.

They can be a great. Horses for.....and all that

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1367146383' post='2061636']
[size=4]I saw a Steve Harris Fender it pretty much seemed the same as most other Fenders in that category except it was about 500 quid dearer so in a nutshell are star endorsed basses a rip off or are they really the same basses the artists use?[/size]
[/quote]

When I got my Steve Harris sig bass in 2010 it cost me £800 new, With a RRP of about £950. Then Fender whacked their prices up...

Fender have been doing SH sig basses for a few years now: the West Ham coloured one, the white one with the West Ham badge and then the Royal Blue one. Steve used each of these basses live during the years they were in production.
Whether he used them to record with is a different matter...

The Flea bass was Flea's attempt to get kids interested in music and playing music. So produced a budget bass that kids could afford.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1367228644' post='2062695']
Is there not a case for a fourth option - artist uses exactly the same model that comes out of the factory for Joe Punter?
[/quote]

And then there's the fifth option - the artist with multiple endorsements / sig instruments who plays another artist's sig guitar. Step forward Mr P. Townshend...

Endorsements:

Gibson 50th Anniversary Pete Townshend SG Electric Guitar (2011)
Pete Townshend Gibson Signature Les Paul Deluxe Cherry Sunburst (2005)
Pete Townshend Gibson Signature Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop (2005)
Pete Townshend Gibson Signature Les Paul Deluxe (2005)
Pete Townshend Gibson SJ-200 Limited (2004)
Pete Townshend Gibson Signature SG (2000)
Takamine FP360SC (1996)
Pete Townshend Limited Edition Rickenbacker 1997PT (1987)
Schecter PT/Saturn (1984)
Gibson Guitars (1974)
Ovation Guitars (1972)

Mr Townshend has played a Fender Eric Clapton Strat for about the last 10 years. :rolleyes:

Edited by skankdelvar

I've only owned the Jack Cassady one and that was because I liked the bass - I'm not really into any of the bands he played with and not for a lack of trying. It was just a really decent instrument.

I think with Fender you can actually get away with flipping the scratchplate over and 99% of the time it's hey presto, you have a halfway decent replica of your favourite player's bass. Most people will only pick up on colours anyway. That said a lot of the signature models out there seem to play really well. I'm not an Iron Maiden or Pink Floyd fan myself but both those basses recently played well on the examples I tried. If I were in the market for a bass and especially if I were a fan of the player I guess it serves a purpose.

I owned a Jerry Donahue signature Strat for a while it was serial 0001 and was Jerry's personal guitar.

I bought it from him at a trade show where the guy from Fender explained that it was a long, long way from the actual ones in the shops. It looked identical but had different pickups, tone pots, wiring, fingerboard inlays etc and that the neck had been re-profiled by his personal tech.

It had a 'crafted in Japan' neck plate but apparently the entire thing had been built in the US Custom shop for him.

To give Jerry his due he sold it because he actually wanted to go out gigging with a factory Japanese model once all the development work had been done :)

He even sold it to me at the price of a Japanese one!

The Fender rep told me to leave the building immediately in case Jerry changed his mind and asked for it back, lol.

I suppose the reality of signatures models is that they do sell and so are good business for the maker. However I'm sure that if the artiste played their signature instrument they would still sound like themselves, but if you or I for that matter played their actual instruments in their actual rigs we would still sound like ourselves playing their gear. There is still a lot of the sound of an artiste in their fingers and their note choices and that is something that cannot be replicated just by using an instrument that has their name on it.

If it's an instrument you like and enjoy the sound of then the fact it is a signature instrument doesn't matter.... does it?

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1367276878' post='2063695']
Does MDP know you have nicked his headstock decal ? Or is he your luthier ?
[/quote]

I have a pen, and I don't like blank spaces.... MDP nicked every idea I ever had. :)

i remember reading ages ago that Brian May gave Yngwie Malmsteen a go on the Red Special itself. And Yngwie still sounded like Yngwie. And that guitar is about as one-off as you are ever going to get.

i have a status B2 technically a sig :)
wish i could of gotten a B1 though but sadly no longer made (i missed my chance by about a year :(), and cant get the £30-50K for a one. but to be brutally honest its only the looks and a tiny bit of upper mids that is missing form the B2. i can get the Entwistle tone spot on and then many more too :)