Why become a member? ×

I fancy an Epiphone Jack Casady, should I? I DID NBD

police squad

I've been gassing for a Jack Cassady/semi acoustic for a couple of months now. I can afford one, but can't really justify the cost as all my gigs are on double bass.

So I'm going to buy OneHorseMurphy's little Italia bass instead......

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1366529089' post='2053436']
It'll probably hardly ever get gigged as I don't gig on bass much these days, apart from Police tribute. should I get one anyway?
[/quote]
More JC love here - I bought an immaculate second hand one on this site a while back and I really like it. I was pleasantly surprised how well behaved it was in a gig situation (I expected it to suffer from a lot of feedback) and it has a great sound - strung with flats it produces a great fundamental tone.

I found the Jack Cassidy to be the most versatile passive bass I ever sat down and played. You could get a wide range of tones with just the placement of your playing hand. And then there were the tone controls including the multi-impedence selector. It was just too big for my short self to handle and I wound up trading it for another bass.

I picked one up on here a couple of months back and used it for a gig two weeks ago for the first time.

Its completely different from my Precisions in every way. I get thump, bite, rasp and growl from my Precisions - but the JC has a mellower tone. I used it for an "unplugged" gig. Guitarist played an acoustic, drummer used a small kit and occasional brushes. I played the JC - that's as far as I was willing to go. It has a less defined sound than I'm used to, and monitoring was a bit difficult as I couldn't hear the individual notes as clearly ..... but listening back to the recording, it has a nice, mix filling deep sound which was just right for the unplugged gig.

I like it for learning songs at home as I can used it unplugged while playing along to Youtube. Has a nice twang unplugged that isn't at all replicated when amplified.

It looks way to cool also - especially in proper black. I like it and will keep it for a bit.

Edited by The Dark Lord

right then, it's turned up. lowered the action a little and it's great. played it unplugged and it sounds great acoustically.
Then I plugged it into my ampeg pf500. it was ok on 50. but 250 it farted and 500 was worse.
Then I remembered it was low impedance but what difference would that make. So I pressed the -15db button on the front, (sort of meant for active basses) and it sorted it. Maybe the bass was overloading the very first input stage of the pre amp (even before the clip light stage, because that wasn't glowing)

anyway, it seems fine set up this way.

Build quality is very good but I can't tell where it's made. It says limited edition on the back of the headstock, but who knows how limited it will actually be.

I'll try and post some pictures