Why become a member? ×

How soon after first picking a bass up did you gig?

bobpalt

Far too soon - about 6 weeks after picking up a bass for the first time at the tender age of 14. The set included Phanton of the Opera & Running Free by Maiden, plus Alright Now etc so a few bass solos to ease me in! The scariest thing was we were supporting a band made up of people from Musical Exchanges in Brum - proper talented musos. God only knows how we got the gig, why we took it or what they all thought. I think I've blanked it out. All gigs after that were a lot easier though!

For me it was straight away, the school I was at bought a bass guitar (pretty much for me - I was the only pupil in my GCSE music class and I pestered the teacher / department to get one) and I had to join the school orchestra that week and play bass, shifting across from the brass section where I'd been for the previous four years.
The first school concert with me on bass was only a couple or three weeks later.
The first PROPER gig, i.e. with an independent band was about six months later and that seemed to go alright too.

When I first picked up the bass, I spent 2 years of jamming in a guitarist friend's bedroom, writing grunge and playing along to Metallica. Then when we both went to college, we started an indie rock/funk type thing, and gigged a few weeks later! Not long after that, we took all the stuff we'd written before college, and started a female fronted prog rock/metal band. Kind of a weird transition now that I think about it!

First picked up a bass in/around 1978. After 2 years I gave up, but kept the bass. Went back to it 3yrs ago and still not gigged yet.

I went to a gig in a local pub on this last Saturday and was amazed how useless the bass player was; very poor fretting, single finger plucking etc...
I'd thought I wasn't up to it yet!!

So now looking out for a band of equally minded mediocrity.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1366046969' post='2047708']
First picked up a bass in/around 1978. After 2 years I gave up, but kept the bass. Went back to it 3yrs ago and still not gigged yet.

I went to a gig in a local pub on this last Saturday and was amazed how useless the bass player was; very poor fretting, [b][color=#ff0000]single finger plucking etc...[/color][/b]

[/quote]

So did James Jamerson............ ;)

Hm. Depends on how you look at it.

See, a buddy of mine bought a bass, and I had some joy with it without "picking up bass" or practising, even though I admittedly did "pick up a bass". This was in '81-'82. I never learnt to play bass, but did find out how to play "Games Without Frontiers", and taught it to another buddy so as to get him to start playing an instrument.
Mind you, this was just about where to put one's fingers. No technique or stuff.

Some years later ('85?) I had to pick up the bass without being able to play the bass, when, as an accomplished musician in other areas, I was asked to dep the very next day. So I did.

You choose: one day or three/four years.

BTW, roughly thirty years later, I still can't play the bass, and I'm still not practising as I should. But noise is emitted from the thing, and I enjoy myself.

best,
bert

Some mates at school formed a band in April 1991 and I got roped in to play bass. The singer had the gear so I borrowed his. I'd dabbled on guitar a bit. I could play a few chords but not much of a player. First gig was in the school hall in June or July so about 2-3 months from first pluck to gig. We played Blues/Rock, a mix of covers and originals. We didn't sound too bad given our age (all 14) and lack of experience. Anyway, the crowd enjoyed it and that's what counts, innit?

Edited by Fozza

I played my first bass-playing gig before I even had a bass. it was a band of school mates and we played a summer fete at an old folks home with me playing bass on an old acoustic guitar. :lol: I was about 16, so early 70s.

I can only remember three of the songs - House of the Rising Sun, Love Like A Man (RIP Alvin Lee) and an original.

I dread to think what it sounded like but fortunately there are no recordings as evidence.

Bought my first bass from Kennards in Canterbury in July 1981. It was a Tempest SG shaped thing. (Kay under another name I think) . Did me first gig on rememberance sunday that same year (Nov 8th). I had just turned 13. I still see the members of my first band. Guitarist does an Ozzy tribute and the drummer now plays Keys for Toyah!!