Why become a member? ×

Christian Bass player wanted for rock covers band - Thurrock (Thurrock, Essex)

frostie

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1365724277' post='2043689']
Just wondering if there were any other discriminatory qualifications. Atheist bassists, abstain, whatever their morals..? Hindu, or Sikh..? Seemed odd to me, that's all...
[/quote]

Ah, I see. I don't think he'd mind, as long as they follow Jesus. :)

I don't see how it's any different from asking for a female bassist or a bassist that's willing to travel.

All the best with it Neil, there's a good few Christian bassists on here. Though I would consider non Christians too as they're good for a debate in the band (though getting one to play All Day might be a :dash1: ).

• 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I don't think this thread has been particularly fair on the OP so far.

He's looking for a bass player for a particular type of band and many of the comments made so far have been far from helpful.

As it's been a lovely sunny day, I see no point in spoiling it and have therefore removed the comments.

To be fair to BC though - if it is a paid gig then the OP (and just as important to BC, the language of the advert) is breaking the law.

A simple change to "Bassist wanted for Christian Band to perform worship music" would no doubt have the same effect of limiting responses without being so obvious and avoids potential litigation against the OP and possibly (but more remote) against BC.

If it's not a paid gig, or is a hobby that earns a bit (partners - not employees) then the OP doesn't break the law. It's a valid point to raise - particularly as BC is the host of the advert.

"Fairness" to the OP means diddly if the law has been broken.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1367969084' post='2071877']
If it's not a paid gig, or is a hobby that earns a bit (partners - not employees) then the OP doesn't break the law.
[/quote]

Well seeing as the band website has pictures of them practicing in a school hall then it's reasonably safe to say it's a hobby.

If there is proof that it is anything other than a hobby then we will take a look at the situation again, but I am not going to pull an advert purely on information that is not there.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it true that under the Equality Act 2010 [u][b]potential employers [/b][/u]cannot [b][u]advertise / offer jobs[/u][/b] that discriminate and discourage people applying on the basis of their religious , cultural, religious, political beliefs or their sexuality and age ....but in reality how often do you see a musicians job offered on the lines of ' young bassist required 20 - 30 years old for signed band to play hectic schedule' )! If its a private band then there are no discriminatory laws being broken.

Hats of to the OP - hope you get a decent player who fits in with what you are trying to do and and brings 'light to dark places' - admirable work !! :hi:
Most of us are too busy chasing fame , fortune or personal agendas!

So a similar post saying 'Christians and Muslims needn't apply' would be OK, then..? It still seems odd to me. I'm not disputing the rules, or this fellow BC'ers legitimate search for a bassist, but I don't see what one's beliefs or otherwise have to do with anything. If the candidate fits the bill, what business is it what his/her creed is or isn't..? Mustn't be Jewish, then, or Scottish, or whatever..? Doesn't seem comfortable to me. :unsure:

Remove these remarks again, if you wish, although I'm not trying to be troublesome.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1370297008' post='2098927']
So a similar post saying 'Christians and Muslims needn't apply' would be OK, then..? It still seems odd to me. I'm not disputing the rules, or this fellow BC'ers legitimate search for a bassist, but I don't see what one's beliefs or otherwise have to do with anything. If the candidate fits the bill, what business is it what his/her creed is or isn't..? Mustn't be Jewish, then, or Scottish, or whatever..? Doesn't seem comfortable to me. :unsure:

Remove these remarks again, if you wish, although I'm not trying to be troublesome.
[/quote]
I believe the op should have every right to ask for people that fit the image of his band, image is a huge part of a band. Besides I could imagine it being difficult working so closely with someone you believe with burn for all eternity in hellfire and torment because he doesn't believe the same thing as you, it could get awkward.

[quote name='frostie' timestamp='1370274548' post='2098433']
Wasn't look to offend or break any laws. Can't see a way to delete the post, so if the admins would do so please delete this advert.

All the best.
Neil
[/quote]

Ah, I see the feeding frenzie has begun....Welcome to the open minded, non judgemental world of BC Neil.
Hope you find someone that suits your band.....oh hold on he's not here, been driven away by the pitchfork brigade.

Just seen this and really think that as a community it could have been handled much better.

The guy comes to a bass guitar forum looking for a bass guitarist

He has a couple of criteria that he is looking for and seems to have been shot down in flames

Every advert I have seen has had criteria in it ( image, male, female, age, location, ability, influences etc etc etc )

Give the guy a chance !!

Someone on here may have perfectly fit the bill and now it looks like its too late !!

There are ways and ways.....

Advertisement 1. Rock bassist wanted. NO JEWS!
Advertisement 2. Rock bassist wanted for a bunch of born-again Christians. If you're comfortable with that, and preferably share the same beliefs, come and join us.

To me, the ad sounded more like 1. than 2.. although I'm sure Neil meant no offense and will perhaps take something away from this little discussion.

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1370325666' post='2099044']
You apply religion to anything and what happens??
[/quote]
I come along and annoy everyone? Though I left that job to someone else in this thread, mainly because my first sentence was genuine. The rest of my post was tongue in cheek.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1370337749' post='2099185']
There are ways and ways.....

[/quote]
A girlfriend of mine who worked behind a bar was once asked to write on the board outside the entrance something to the effect of 'no blacks' - but, the bar manager explained, "in a nice way".