Why become a member? ×

sore finger

stef030

well we were rehearsing at another studio,as the one we normally use was all booked out
the amp that was there was just not upto the job,
try as I might it was just not there,did not matter what I did or try,so ended up overplaying all the time to
compensate,
which ended in me splitting the skin under the nail on one of the two fingers I use
now bleeding under the nail,its just so sore :(
in all the years of playing this has never happened,bloody nora
still hopefully will heal before next week,
oh and I will use my own then :D :D

cheers
stef

Ooh, I feel your pain. I was away on me hols the week before last, so didn't play for a whole week. First day back had a 2 hr rehearsal. Was trying out some new stuff and got a bit over excited.
Result - sore blistered fingers.
I had to resort to putting plasters over them in the end.

Ha , wimps , I had to learn with FA in the way of kit , and my technique was based around killing the strings with the hardest pick/2 pence pieces just to get involved in the noise stakes.

Now I can afford a bit more than the 2 pences, I am re-learning a feel that is a brilliant experience , I always take my kit with me if I am to play , I may not need it , but I learned a long time ago , If you leave anything at home , that's the stuff that you'll need.

I've had contact dermititis one my hands for the best part off five months. Now it's on my fingers and i'm trying to learn the Bass parts to RENT as i'm going on tour with it in two weeks. Fingers are splitting after a couple of hours playing, mega sore as all the skin peeling off too. Going to doctors on tues to ask for some hardcore steroids. Shitting myself a bit that they won't heal in time.

Anyone else use Surgical Spirit? If I've been on holiday, or away from the bass for any period of time, I find that it toughens the skin on my fingertips with no loss of feel. Not for open wounds though!!!!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1365325931' post='2037955']
I've had contact dermititis one my hands for the best part off five months. Now it's on my fingers and i'm trying to learn the Bass parts to RENT as i'm going on tour with it in two weeks. Fingers are splitting after a couple of hours playing, mega sore as all the skin peeling off too. Going to doctors on tues to ask for some hardcore steroids. Shitting myself a bit that they won't heal in time.
[/quote]

What strings are you using? If they're nickel it could be exacerbating the problem.

[quote name='PJT' timestamp='1365328061' post='2037988']
Anyone else use Surgical Spirit? If I've been on holiday, or away from the bass for any period of time, I find that it toughens the skin on my fingertips with no loss of feel. Not for open wounds though!!!!
[/quote]
[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1365337995' post='2038153']
What strings are you using? If they're nickel it could be exacerbating the problem.
[/quote]
Surgical spirits is good stuff for skin & strings, you can kill 2 birds at once by cleaning your strings off after every session with sugical pririts on a cooton pad or soft cloth, getting it on the fingers & strings at the same time :rolleyes: + it will clean any dead skin & detritus out of the strings making them cleaner & healthier to minimize contamination or aggravation of any dermatic condition.

First thing I do with new strings before fitting them is to rub them hard along the length with a pad soaked in surgical spirits, you might be surprised at the black muck that comes off some brand new strings, depending on the manufacturing processes, oils etc. used.

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1365339052' post='2038174']
Surgical spirits is good stuff for skin & strings, you can kill 2 birds at once by cleaning your strings off after every session with sugical pririts on a cooton pad or soft cloth, getting it on the fingers & strings at the same time :rolleyes: + it will clean any dead skin & detritus out of the strings making them cleaner & healthier to minimize contamination or aggravation of any dermatic condition.

First thing I do with new strings before fitting them is to rub them hard along the length with a pad soaked in surgical spirits, you might be surprised at the black muck that comes off some brand new strings, depending on the manufacturing processes, oils etc. used.
[/quote]

Or use coated strings.... Provided that you can get on with them in terms of feel or tonal qualities.
Fortunately my job entails lots of manual work. My hands seem pretty tough and heal in two days when split/cut.

thanks for the replies
the solution for me was superglue.I dabbed a little where the cutical and the nail
join job done.stung for a bit.right as ninepence now.
will give it a go later.
but finger feels fine now
really got to learn john martyn some people.
lovely song aha my fretless lives.
cheers.