Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz STM900 - Change of tone when warm

amnesia

How do,

I have an STM 900 which is a couple of months old. Bought new, well treated, not thrashed etc...

After an hour or so of playing I notice that the tone has changed. It's has way more gain (not louder) and the sound is clearly overdriven. It's not a huge into Lemmy-esque distortion, but definitely noticeable. Others in the band noticed it at rehearsal yesterday too so I know I'm not imagining it.
The unit doesn't get hot - the case gets to be few degrees above the ambient and the air coming out of the fan is only slightly warm.
I'm going to contact the retailer on monday, but thought I would ask the BC masses if it is something others have noticed. Is it a case of "they all do that sir, it's a feature".

I don't think the sound should wander off its settings with only an hours running - so I'm thinking that there is maybe a dry joint or one of the preamp valves is misbehaving. Either way, at two months old I'm not taking a screwdriver to it.

Over to you...

Yes, deffo get it looked at.
Had my 600 about a year and a half and it never did anything like that. 4-5 hours of use and the air coming out would be as cool as when I first switched it on.
I did have a shuttle that went and needed a valve changing.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1365348626' post='2038320']
I think it's telling you need it sounding manly rather than a big wet gay sound that are obviously trying to make it sound. So stop being a homo and grind it up
[/quote]

Thanks for your useful input Will. :lol:

I think it's telling you need it sounding manly rather than a big wet gay sound that are obviously trying to make it sound. So stop being a homo and grind it up
[/quote]

As much as you know I like my clean sound, I'm with him on this just because I can! :lol:

Don't be frightened to open it up, GB positively encourage it and do not default the guarantee if you change valves. It's dead easy, just get an Allen key to the lid, and take it off. Bingo, valves. There are two Rubies (in V2 and V3) and a JJ, but all 12AX7T.

If it is a faulty valve it sounds like V1 (the distortion valve) may be the culprit, either take the plunge and replace it or just swap it with one of the others and see if there's any difference.

Ask the nice Mr Foxen for one of his older valves, for a vintage sound (and let us know if you can tell the difference!)

- You may find this an interesting read - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/191375-new-valves-for-genz-streamliner-any-experience/

Edited by 4 Strings

I'm not scared of opening it up - far from it, but at two months old? No chance. It's gone back today for the service centre to look at.

I've got my other really portable amp (VBA400 :lol: ) that will do the acoustic stuff I use the GB for in the short term.

To be honest, I'm not convinced I would hear the difference between a vintage valve and a new one of the same type, and I'm happy with the noise I get from the STM in stock trim. But what would I know? I didn't think that speaker stands would make that much difference until they were demonstrated to me years ago.

I'll let you know what the service centre tell me.

Edited by amnesia

• 4 weeks later...

Update time - the amp went off to the service centre (Fender) and it came back having had new valves fitted.

It still changes tone when it warms up, and this has been confirmed by a friend who borrowed it tonight.

So, back it goes again...

I've heard lots of stories about GB 900 heads having problems after they've been used for a while.

Last one I heard the owner had to have the head replaced three times before he got one that worked OK at gigging volumes :(

A preamp valve giving up the ghost is the only problem I've ever had with my Shuttle, aside from that its rock solid. Think the Genz stuff is generally pretty well put together.

I've just picked up a Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 for my skinny stringed playing and its a stunning piece of kit!

i used this thing last night and no its definatly not just the valve warming up. I have been using valve amps for years and i know the difference it makes. When first plugged in it sounded right, just as it should do nice n punchy, little wimpy on the overall volume but thats what you get for using a car stereo for an amp! (ahem!)

I had a quick blast when turned on and it sounded fine. left it alone for 10 mins whilst setting other bits up and when i went back to it, it sounded like i was playing through a muddy field. no clarity, loss of bottom and top end, the mid range selector made hardly any difference and no end of gain. Infact i could not get a clean sound out of it at any volume and adjusting the gain made little to no difference. I like my gain but this was not right.

This is one unhappy car stereo. Its currently at my house being used to keep a door propped open ;)

Shall throw it back at you tomorrow Paulo. Hope it gets sorted by someone at Genz who isnt just sticking it through a test signal like the first time.

It's inside warranty - ask for a brand new replacement. Any dealer with a shred of decency will swap it straight out, give you a new one and sort the warranty claim with the distributor / manufacturer.

This shouldn't be your issue to sort.

The person I spoke to last week who had a similar problem with a Shuttle 9.0 did exactly this. The dealer simply got out of the loop in this case and got the distributor to supply a new amp.

The same thing happened recently with a bass I saw. Dealer tried to get it fixed and it came back exactly the same. The owner went past the dealer direct to the distributor and they sent him a brand new bass :)

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1368108513' post='2073306']
...little wimpy on the overall volume but thats what you get for using a car stereo for an amp!
[/quote]

This sounds odd too - mine is ridiculously loud. I suppose that sort of thing is subjective.

[/quote]
This will probably get me tagged as one of the humourless PC brigade, but what on earth constitutes a gay bass sound? :huh: I've heard gay bassists playing with about the same range of sounds as straight or bi ones!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1368116029' post='2073430']

This will probably get me tagged as one of the humourless PC brigade, but what on earth constitutes a gay bass sound? :huh: I've heard gay bassists playing with about the same range of sounds as straight or bi ones!
[/quote]

In a phenomenon starting with playground slang, the term 'gay' has come to mean naff or rubbish in the same way that 'sick' means good. Chris Moyles famously caused controversy by calling a ringtone 'gay' on air. The BBC decided it was acceptable as it is common slang, and therefore disaccociated with any references to homosexuality in that context. Best start a thread in OT if you want to discuss further :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1368116029' post='2073430']

[/quote]
Its also one dirty rock bass player giving another dirty rock bass player and long time friend a bit of jib about his crappy little broken toy amplifier ;) can see how some people dont understand but thats just how we roll. Time to worry when the insults stop :)

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1368128103' post='2073663']
Its also one dirty rock bass player giving another dirty rock bass player and long time friend a bit of jib about his crappy little broken toy amplifier ;) can see how some people dont understand but thats just how we roll. Time to worry when the insults stop :)
[/quote]
Sure, and pointing out casual homophobia is how I roll. No real offence taken, and back to the thread...

• 1 month later...