Why become a member? ×

Zero to playing in band ?

The Hat

I was musical when I was younger (Oboe... Quite an accomplished standard) gave it up when I found boys :P

Fast forward 20 years, and whilst watching a Brit Floyd gig, I thought to myself "I have to learn the bass", so in the car on the way home I said to hubby "Can I Buy a bass?" he said "Knock yourself out" and stage one of my early midlife crisis had started ;)

This was last May, I joined my first band in July (so 2 months in) and I nestled myself under the wing of Wales' finest bass teacher and have worked my socks off!! I have since musically outgrown my first band... Although I'm sticking with them for the time being.

2 weeks ago I had an awesome audition with my now second band and have been working hard learning the new set!

Some things are beyond my skills and I need to simplify but I've come a long way. I'm under no illusion that I have TONS more to learn and will be learning in 5, 10, 20 years time. But am I confident enough to think I can do a good job in a band now.... Yes, without question!

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1364741011' post='2030212']
I need to find someone to play with then, anyone ?
[/quote]

I decided after 18 months of learning from absolute scratch that it wad time to join a band. Luckily, I had a few musical connections due to my theatrical experience and the fact that the Ex was a muso. So I sent out a group email to everone I knew who was vaguely musical, asking them to let me know if they heard of anyone looking for a bass player.
Result was a work colleague put me ib touch with a band he had just left. So I joined them in July. We are not the best band in tw world, but the experience of playing with others has been invaluable.
I've just managed to start up a side project with the drummer from our main band and another singer and guitarist. I've only just found out that drummer also has only been playing a couple of years. I'd assumed he'd been playing for ages.
So I'd advise you to go for it now :-)
Let us know how you get on:-)

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1364758694' post='2030584']
Surely a band wouldn't be interested if I was a total beginner !
[/quote]

Sure they would, if all the other members were total beginners as well.

As many others have rightly mentioned, a reasonable match of abilities is important in a band. And don't forget that 'band' doesn't have to mean 'gigs'. Just playing together with other like-minded musicians in a garage or rehearsal studio will be a far more enriching experience than playing along to records. Besides, gigs can happen later.

I agree with the posts that say get out and look for a band. If you can play root notes and scales and know the songs in advance, audition (make up some "cheat sheets" if necessary. You will be surprised at how you grow, as a musician, playing with others. Good luck

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1364760786' post='2030631']
I love most kinds of music but the reason I'm attracted to bass is that I love 70's funk, Jamiraqui, and my Norman Watt Roy and Ian Dury and the Blockheads.

I've probably picked the hardest types to get into aint I !
[/quote]

Yes. But you'll struggle to find musicians who want to play that type of music at beginner level.

I was in a band before I could play bass. The guitarist taught me as we went along. He would show me what notes to play. We started with simple single 8th note rock tunes. We did our first gig at my mates party after about 6 weeks.

Just pick some simple tunes from YouTube to start with. Learn them and look for some beginners.

Good luck.

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1364760786' post='2030631']
I love most kinds of music but the reason I'm attracted to bass is that I love 70's funk, Jamiraqui, and my Norman Watt Roy and Ian Dury and the Blockheads.

I've probably picked the hardest types to get into aint I !
[/quote]

God yeah! :lol:

However, this is an ultimate aim, and if you do love all music your journey can take you on different twists and turns you never expected!

Maybe start with a bit of light rock....Rolling stones, maybe some blues rock.... These types always have achievable basslines in my experience. Then, progress to something a bit more complex as you are more confident.

My ultimate aim is to have a cheesy 1980s band complete with some slap bass numbers...... My aim for that is 5 years.

Agree that Jamiraqui basslines are awesome! And hit my with your rhythm stick has to be one of the fastest paced basslines going :P

Are you planning on getting lessons? Where in the country are you?

I think lessons are fantastic personally.

If you want to play like Stuart Zender, this girl started 4 years ago, and Jamiroqui saw her youtube posts and took her on their South American tour at the start of this year.Keep practising, and who knows where you could be in 5 years.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Xy_pD_Or8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Xy_pD_Or8[/url]

Another useful avenue is to get along to a local jam night. You can make a few contacts and build up the courage to get up and have a go. I concur with everyone else who has said playing with others is the best way forward - it will aid your development at a rate of 10 to 1 compared with learning on your own imo.

I first picked up a bass, when asked to play with a newly forming band, consisting of a few mates down the pub, with never any intention of gigging, it was just for a giggle. they had all had some experience of playing, and three of the four had gigged. however, as we were never going to gig, I said I would have a go. Got myself three lessons, just to see what I was meant be doing, and then played with the others. I was bloody awful!! however, I really enjoyed it. less so I must admit, when they told me we would be doing a one off gig, in the local, in 8 weeks!! ok, did the gig, was crap, but very enjoyable. just over 2 years later, we are gigging on a regular basis, and I have just joined a second band, of far more accomplished musicians, who are more than happy with my playing. So playing in two bands, one of a reasonably high standard, my point being, it took me little time to lean the basics, (I will never be brilliant) but, as for the age thing, I will be playing at my own 60th birthday party in June!! never too old to learn guys.

Just chuck yourself in at the deep end and see what happens. If you want to survive, you'll swim :)

My first proper gig was an hour long set of ska/2 tone covers that I only had 3 rehearsals with the band, and one of those rehearsals was on the afternoon before the gig. During my first audition for a band I had to shift keys because that got sprung on me at the audition. Got the gig BTW ;)

The only way to improve is to push yourself, to put yourself under pressure.

+1 for lessons - I didn't get any until I had been playing for a few years and it was a total lightbulb moment, tying together the stuff I had learned through experience and giving things names that I knew I did but didn't know what they meant.

Best advice I ever received was from my wife. During my bedroom playing years I used to get really annoyed about making mistakes, and it's easy at home to stop the backing track and start again. Bit different live, when there are others are depending on you to keep it all glued together. My wife picked up a tea towel and said "See this tea towel? This is your mistake". She then scrunched it up and threw it over her shoulder. Gone. It's a fleeting moment in time and you've got to forget about it right away and keep it together. Analyse it all you want afterwards, but don't let it put you off your stride during a song.

Interesting thread... I couldn't imagine waiting 3 years to join a band!

I was in a band within 6 months and giged within 12 months. Shortly after I left that band (they were not improving and I was) and they replaced me with someone who was worse than me?!

Did the same with the DB. Bought it and was gigging on it within weeks. Best jump in the deep end I think.

I played my first gig 4 weeks after I picked up the bass :) 45 minute set. I only got asked as the usual bassist wasn't able to make the gig. One of the best gigs of my life.

Mind you at the time I was playing bass at least 5 hours a day

To the OP.
Mate I joined my first band after a month of buying my first bass, I honestly didn't have a clue what I was doing & told the band this, the lead guitarist (very talented guitarist) was patient & helped me along, I became very dedicated & worked very hard to keep up but it worked.

Live live fearlessly mate, it was the best thing i ever did.