Why become a member? ×

The Last of the Super Stars?

bubinga5

Had a conversation today with my sister about who might be the next super star of music.. and we really couldnt think of any.. then we came on to the conversation that Prince is the only real living legend that is still making music... i really couldnt think of any that could come close to him.

micheal jackson, the boss, james brown, madonna,,Stevie Wonder .. makes me think that making music was harder to learn back then.? i had another conversation with a great drummer who was in the mind set that music was being diluted.. i agree...

Music is getting fragmented into genres. There was a time you could have played Fleetwood Mac, Steeleye Span and Led Zeppelin's latest without being ironic or eclectic. Now they are locked down as Blues, Folk and Metal.

One of the things with 'super stars' is they crossover. Prince covers funk, soul, pop and rock; sometimes in one song.

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1364544222' post='2027841']
Music is getting fragmented into genres. There was a time you could have played Fleetwood Mac, Steeleye Span and Led Zeppelin's latest without being ironic or eclectic. Now they are locked down as Blues, Folk and Metal.
[/quote]
Music always was fragmented in the minds of the blinkered. Nothing has changed there.

As a teenager in the 60s, I was often berated for liking different genres. I specifically recall being made fun of for having both the first Hendrix album and the Club Ska '67 reggae compilation under my arm at the same time.

And when did Led Zeppelin get locked down as metal? When they are nowhere near being a metal band.

Edited by EssentialTension

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]when did Led Zeppelin get locked down as metal?"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think it was sometime in the Nineties, a vast horde swept in and annexed The Republic of Hard Rock in the name of the Greater Metal Empire. Everything of value from Kashmir to Whole Lotta Love was carried off to the Metal Empire's capital city of Umlaut. Luckily their advance was halted before they got to Cream, although that was later granted entry into the Psychedelic Common Market (now the P.U.).[/font][/color]

All of the above;) now having followed metallica since their second album, there were often rumours of 'the next metallica"
Trouble is , imho they are the last group to do things on their own terms. They even got too big for their independant labels, once that album was released;)
Joe bonamassa,( before that Satch) is probably the last superstar guitarist.

I stand to be corrected of course. ;)

Mark Knopfler! Sting! Bowie!

God there's loads! But yes, it's a good question; who will be so highly revered and still making great music in 20 years? Rihanna? Beyonce? Do Katy Perry, Jessie J and Justin Timberlake have longevity? I doubt it. They don't write their own music, so how are they going to keep the music going in the future?

Hopefully bands like Elbow and Biffy Clyro will still be knocking about.

Truckstop

Led zep have always been known as metal by people I've taled to from 70s - now. We know their not, but until a few years ago only a few zep tracks were played mainstream. You know what they are;)
I put it down to the fact that people never understood metal properly in the early years. There were less metal bands about then

every person that you guys have mentioned were a superstar, but really there all now underground... now we have.... Rhiannah, Lady Gaga, erm i cant think of any more.. i rest my case.. i dont want to be negative but musicians dont have to work hard anymore.. its so easy to make music.. and its so easy to get ears to listen to the sh*t... in the 60/70s there were bands like the beatles at number 1 and steely dan in the US charts... there is knowone special anymore... steely dan and the beatles made some of the most compelling music of all time...

whats happened.? there is no special music in main stream anymore... you know why.. because music is so easy to make, and there is money to be made...

when someone slowly waters down my beer, im thinking, this doesnt taste as good as it used to..

Edited by soul deluxe

[quote name='soul deluxe' timestamp='1364570911' post='2028337']
every person that you guys have mentioned were a superstar, but really there all now underground... now we have.... Rhiannah, Lady Gaga, erm i cant think of any more.. i rest my case.. i dont want to be negative but musicians dont have to work hard anymore.. its so easy to make music.. and its so easy to get ears to listen to the sh*t... in the 60/70s there were bands like the beatles at number 1 and steely dan in the US charts... whats happened.? there is no special music in main stream anymore... ive lost hope.. im goin underground
[/quote]

Interesting;) I tend to listen to older stuff(tangerine dream, swamp terrorists etc.) on my iPhone these days.
Of the later bands , I will probably get Toy, Danko Jones, royksopp and Air . Can't see me wanting a whole album of any of them.
Technology has spoiled that imho

I think anyone that thinks this way is just getting old, I thought Jessie J and Katy Perry were both known for being song writers that had sucess writing for other people at a young age then decided to take a bit of the limelight for themselves? Lady Gaga is a great vocalist, pianist, songwriter and to top it off can dance too. The latest Justin trousersnake song is quite catchy if I remember and he can dance too. I'm not really into that sort of music but people just toss these names into these discussions because their own record collection ended when they left college in 1984, people have said it since the birth of popular music, rubbish, can't tell what they are singing, hair like girls blah blah.

Led Zep were definitely known ad Heavy Metal in the early 70's. I think what has changed is the definition of Metal. It boggles my mind these days, there are so many different genres.
It's all rock n roll to me..

But back OT I think there are plenty of superstars around today. Look at the excitement generated by the announcement today about the Stones playing Glastonbury.

The trouble is, sometimes you don't achieve superstar status until you are past your best.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1364573430' post='2028382']
I think anyone that thinks this way is just getting old, I thought Jessie J and Katy Perry were both known for being song writers that had sucess writing for other people at a young age then decided to take a bit of the limelight for themselves? Lady Gaga is a great vocalist, pianist, songwriter and to top it off can dance too. The latest Justin trousersnake song is quite catchy if I remember and he can dance too. I'm not really into that sort of music but people just toss these names into these discussions because their own record collection ended when they left college in 1984, people have said it since the birth of popular music, rubbish, can't tell what they are singing, hair like girls blah blah.
[/quote] i must be getting old then.. :blush: i remember my dad saying to me when i was 18ish. i was listening to alot of house music.. he said whats that repetitive rubbish.. this was in the days of chicago house when all the recordings were played live with live instruments.. i never wanted to get to a point where someone says im old because im not hip with the new stuff.. imo the greatest new stuff is not in the charts... its somewhere where you need to dig a little to find it...

Edited by bubinga5