Why become a member? ×

The Last of the Super Stars?

bubinga5

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1364577177' post='2028442']
Live shoes ?
[/quote]

I had some "live" shoes - I think they were made in China .......... they were Lou-Ping (Scottish only joke).

It may be a sign of old age (see previous thread on the subject) but I could walk past the vast majority of today's top acts in the street & not recognise them. It may be you have to achieve a certain level of notoriety or dickheadedness to be a superstar but I believe instant recognition is a part of the marker.
Eg. Liam Gallagher once walked into the hair-dressers I used in Edinburgh to ask what time the pub next door opened; they talked about it for months after, even though Edinburgh has a high % of "star" visitors. Super-star? Hmm - in his own mind maybe, but famous more for being a knob than a music star (IMHO).

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1364578301' post='2028466']
i must be getting old then.. :blush: i remember my dad saying to me when i was 18ish. i was listening to alot of house music.. he said whats that repetitive rubbish.. this was in the days of chicago house when all the recordings were played live with live instruments.. i never wanted to get to a point where someone says im old because im not hip with the new stuff.. imo the greatest new stuff is not in the charts... its somewhere where you need to dig a little to find it...
[/quote]
I think superstar and chart success go together so I'd stick with what you like and not worry about it too much :)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1364570428' post='2028333']
Led zep have always been known as metal by people I've taled to from 70s ...
[/quote]
I was there in the 70s (and 60s for that matter), and I have no recollection of LZ being known as metal. That's why I was so surprised to hear it now.

EDIT: But perhaps being there is the reason I don't remember it.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1364570035' post='2028324']
... Rihanna? Beyonce? Do Katy Perry, Jessie J and Justin Timberlake have longevity? I doubt it. They don't write their own music, so how are they going to keep the music going in the future? ...
[/quote]
Most, if not all, of those people write their own music. I bet you a quid that Jessie J will be around a long time as writer, producer and performer.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364634059' post='2028994']
Most, if not all, of those people write their own music. I bet you a quid that Jessie J will be around a long time as writer, producer and performer.
[/quote]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Rihanna]Rihanna[/url] is listed as "co-writer" (her name's Robyn Fenty) on a number of her songs.
How much she actually wrote of each song is a different matter entirely!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1364658185' post='2029328']
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Rihanna"]Rihanna[/url] is listed as "co-writer" (her name's Robyn Fenty) on a number of her songs.
[/quote]
In actual fact, I know nothing about Rhianna and have never knowingly heard her. It was more Jessie J and the others mentioned that I was thinking of.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1364658185' post='2029328']
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Rihanna"]Rihanna[/url] is listed as "co-writer" (her name's Robyn Fenty) on a number of her songs.
[/quote]

I know a song-writer who had pressure put on him to release 50% of his song-writing credit by a studio in return for having his work used.
Payola still going strong then.
Not saying it happened to any of those named but it is still a possibility in the music biz.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1364570035' post='2028324']
Mark Knopfler! Sting! Bowie!

God there's loads! But yes, it's a good question; who will be so highly revered and still making great music in 20 years? Rihanna? Beyonce? Do Katy Perry, Jessie J and Justin Timberlake have longevity? I doubt it. They don't write their own music, so how are they going to keep the music going in the future?

Hopefully bands like Elbow and Biffy Clyro will still be knocking about.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Frightening thought, but including his career with N-Sync, Justin Timberlake is heading towards his 20th anniversary as a chart topping performer, probably making him a superstar!