Why become a member? ×

Learn a new song - ideas?

lowdowner

So...

I've been away with work for the last 4 days with no bass playing, and I'm really gagging to get back to playing my bass tomorrow. I have the day off work, and I'm going to spend it on the one useful thing you can do with a day off, and learn a new song from scratch... all the way to perfection (well, as much 'perfection' as I can manage!)

Any inspiration? Give me a few suggestions of a bass-heavy track - any genre - that you like... I can donate a whole day to learning it and I'll youtube the results and bore you further with what one day of serious practice can do... (not much, don't hold your breath!)

Anyone for suggestions?

p.s. this kind of posting only happens when I've imbibed at least a bottle of wine - well, it's my birthday! :)

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1364502248' post='2027472']
The Bluetones "If" great bassline never stops in one place too long but has some great little riffs in there and isn't too hard to learn
[/quote]

'isn't too hard to learn' is quite important... right, it's on the list... any more for any more?

Why not take a track you like, learn the rudementary structure/chords and make the bass part yours? Both me and my guiatrist enjoy doing that with 'crowd pleasers' in our covers set. A prime example would be Lady Gaga's 'Bad Romance'. Our version is nothing like the original but it still retains the essence of the track so punters can enjoy it as well as us.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1364504196' post='2027521']
Spacehog - In the Meantime has a nice bassline to it, give that a go
[/quote]

Oooh I remember that one plus I have the original hologram limited edition CD

How about Led Zeppelin- The Wanton Song. Sounds more difficult than it is

One of my faves is Elvis ................Costello :D , pump it up , I found it very awkward to pick out some of the detail , but you'll love it , nail it , record it , post it and hey, I get to see it done properly .

Happy birthday , enjoy your passion for the day .

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1364506457' post='2027555']
[url="http://youtu.be/AI2k6aseNqg"]http://youtu.be/AI2k6aseNqg[/url]
[/quote]
Flippin love this song, it was on my "Three minute heroes" compilation tape I borrowed off my brother & used to play along with.

Edited by WhoNeedsYou

Having a blast with The Trooper by Iron Maiden. Not my genre at all, uncovered vIa an old Ed Friedland clip on YouTube where he attempts badly to play it during a bass demo, but really gives your finger style technique a work out. Three-fingered galloping....yaldy :)