Why become a member? ×

How much should we charge?

jonunders

Hi

There are 6 of us in a covers band and we have been asked to do a wedding and we have no idea what to charge.
Is there a rule of thumb or formula to work out how much to ask?

The wedding is on 27th July.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan

Is the band any good and does it have experience of the wedding gig scene? If its an originals band being asked for directly then its ok to be the band you normally are if not the slicker the band the more you can charge imo, my old band were quite well practiced in the wedding circuit and could charge in the £800-1200 bracket but my new one is a bit clunky at the moment so I'd feel wrong just demanding good money right now.

Joking apart, pricing anything in this world is depending on what the market will bear. You want a good rate and for the couple not to feel ripped off.

Maybe some more info could be useful.
Are you a covers band?
What sort of stuff do you play?
How many other gigs have you played?
How regularly have you played together and for how long?
Do you have a Youtube vid or other recordings?

It depends on the demands of the bride and groom, if they want you there early and hanging about for hours it needs to be paid for, if they want you to play longer than the std 2x45 slot again it needs to be paid for, if they want you to learn a specific song factor the practice time into it, if that song is a Justin Bieber song there clearly isn't enough money in the world for that!

We tend to do 3 or 4 weddings a year and the starting point is £500......just noticed from one of the other comments that this puts us in the crap catogory...doh !

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1364245290' post='2023846']
...just noticed from one of the other comments that this puts us in the crap catogory ...doh !
[/quote]

You're not crap, you're... 'affordable'. :D

Edited by discreet

[i]We were in a similiar position last year. We are a descent covers band, got asked to do a wedding.[/i]
[i]Ended up charging £600. After finding out what was involved we decided that if we were asked again [/i]
[i]the price would be £800+[/i]